D&D 5E Compilation of Alternate Ability Score Generation Methods

I really like the Dice Point method which combines the control of Point Buy with the variety of Rolling!

For this method each player gets four dice points to distribute among their ability scores. They can apply no more than three points to any single ability. Afterward they roll for each ability according to the number of points they spent on it:
  • 3 points = 18
  • 2 points = 14 + 1d4
  • 1 point = 8 + 1d4 + 1d6
  • 0 points = 1d4 + 1d6 + 1d8
This allows enough control for players to get the scores they need but also maintains enough randomness to avoid predictable ability score arrays. Plus it completely removes the ability to dump scores—something I really like about it.
I like this Idea, but maybe will adjust the scores and dice for me.

I noticed 5e works better with max rolled stats of 16 at most. Especially after tasha, you always gain +2 to any ability score you like (obviously you highest rolled score).

So maybe
4 points: 16
3 points: 13 + 1d3
2 points: 10 + 1d6
1 points: 7 + 1d6 + 1d3
0 points: 4 + 2d6

And you get 6 points to allocate.
Maybe if you get a d3 and a d6 I allow to chose which die to use as d3 after the roll.

Or use only d3s probably...

I like this Idea, but maybe will adjust the scores and dice for me.

I noticed 5e works better with max rolled stats of 16 at most. Especially after tasha, you always gain +2 to any ability score you like (obviously you highest rolled score).

So maybe
4 points: 16
2 points: 10 + 1d6
1 points: 7 + 1d6 + 1d3
0 points: 4 + 2d6

And you get 6 points to allocate.
Maybe if you get a d3 and a d6 I allow to chose which die to use as d3 after the roll.

Or use only d3s probably...
Okay, I see. Ability Scores are capped at 16 before racial bonus. You've adapted the dice points nicely to your needs. I like the symmetry. The static term increases by 3 each step and the variable decreases by 1d3. The math adds up.

If you did just d3s it would look like this:

0 points: 16
2 points: 10 + 2d3
1 points: 7 + 3d3
0 points: 4 + 4d3

All d3s would end up focusing the bell curve around the average. I think that is called decreasing the variance. But I'm not a mathematician, I'm just a fan.

In the end the Dice Point system gives a layer of variation on top of a layer of control.

And, it's adjustable. I like using 3 dice points because I like scrappy heroes. But, I've gone as high as 5 points.

And...it completely eliminates the practice of dumping scores. However, the Advanced Dice Point system gives you the ability to dump scores without really dumping them because you gain no benefit from doing so.

Last edited:

Okay, I see. Ability Scores are capped at 16 before racial bonus. You've adapted the dice points nicely to your needs. I like the symmetry. The static term increases by 3 each step and the variable decreases by 1d3. The math adds up.

If you did just d3s it would look like this:

0 points: 16
2 points: 10 + 2d3
1 points: 7 + 3d3
0 points: 4 + 4d3

All d3s would end up focusing the bell curve around the average. I think that is called decreasing the variance. But I'm not a mathematician, I'm just a fan.

In the end the Dice Point system gives a layer of variation on top of a layer of control.

And, it's adjustable. I like using 3 dice points because I like scrappy heroes. But, I've gone as high as 5 points.

And...it completely eliminates the practice of dumping scores. However, the Advanced Dice Point system gives you the ability to dump scores without really dumping them because you gain no benefit from doing so.
Yeah, it decreases variance, and now that I see it written out, using d6s is better.
4+4d3 still averages out to 12 which is too high for 0 points (if i give 6 points)
I am a matematican, but I have not calculated it.
4 + 2d6 is 11 on average but with a high chance of being on the low end (as well as being on the high end.
Actually right now we roll 3d6 drop lowest + 4. But I am not totally satisfied.

I also like the "keep the dropped die" or "turn them around", but I need to come up with something useful first...

ECMO3

Hero
I have a method I use as a DM for small parties (2-3 players). It is based on the 1E method where you choose your class first and then roll.

You roll 9d6 on one ability, 8d6 on one ability, 7d6 .... 6d6, 5d6, 4d6. You save the highest three dice from each of those rolls and that is the score for that ability. The rolls are fixed there is no movement, so what you roll for strength is your strength, if your barbarian rolls higher on another ability he can't move it. However a Barbarian rolling 9d6 for strength usually means even with poor rolls he will typically have at least a 14 before racial adjustments and 18 is not that uncommon.

You choose your 1st-level class before you roll and your first 1-2 rolls are based on your multiclass requirements. For example if you pick Ranger you roll 9d6 for dex, 8d6 for wis and then choose the order for the next 4. Barbarian is 9d6 Strength, 8d6 Contsititution. Fighter is 9d6 strength or dexterity then choose order for next 5. After you roll all the abilities, then you choose your race.

This leads to very high rolls but you still will not always have an 18 in your top stat. It helps with small groups because you usually have no ability below a 10 so that lets them still cover down on skills they would otherwise be horrible at.

It also leads to some great role play opportunities as your Barbarian who chooses to "dump" intelligence and roll it last still rolls 4d6 and might still end up with a 16 int.

You can also end up with fighters that are very good at both ranged and melee and we have fighters who have both GWM and sharpshooter after a few levels, while still sporting a 16 or better in both strength/dex. Again it is a small group, so you usually only have one martial character and he needs to fill both roles.

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
I aim for a much lower range using a deck of 12 cards. Two cards are drawn for each ability, assigned in order drawn, no replacement. You then have the TCoE three points to use.

The deck is 8,7,7,6,6,5,5,4,4,3,3,2. Counting the TCoE ASI, highest starting score is thus 17, lowest is 5. All characters have the same total across scores (63).

The deck is chosen for its swinginess and symmetry. I find character ability modifiers tend to sum to +2 with this method. With a max of +3 on their highest.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

"Wheel of Pain" Method

I came up with this one a few years ago for my homebrew fantasy RPG and it has proved to be a great system if everyone in the group is sitting at the table for "Session Zero" when creating characters.

Group based rolling, group based choice.

Draw a clock face without numbers (this is the Wheel). Top and right ("12 to 5") is "High"; bottom and left ("6 to 11") is "Low". For 5e, 10+ is high, 9- is low.

Every Player at the table rolls a d#, highest person is where the rolling starts. That person rolls 3d6. If it's "high" (10+) it goes at the top of the Wheel (where 12 o'clock would be), if it's "low" (9-) it goes at the bottom of the Wheel (6 o'clock). Then, the player to the left rolls 3d6. His result is then placed at "1 o'clock" or "7 o'clock" on the Wheel, depending if it is a High or a Low rolls. Then the next player to the left. Rinse and repeat until all spokes of the Wheel have a number. If you run out of high/low slots, just keep rolling until you get a result that fits.

Now you have the completed Wheel of Pain, with 12 numbers. The Players... as a group decide what 3 "pairs" of numbers they want. A "pair" of numbers is two numbers that are on opposite sides of the Wheel. E.g., if there is a 15 at the "3 o'clock" mark, the paired number is whatever is at the "9 o'clock" mark.

Once the GROUP has decided what 3 pairs of numbers they want, EVERY PC HAS THOSE STATS! Place where you want and adjust for race/whatever.

What I have found with this method is that no player character is any more "powerful" than any other in the group and nobody feels like the dice screwed them or that some other Player cheated. It also has the added benefit of the group of PC's being rolled up all FEEL like an Adventuring Group from the get-go. The mindset of the Players is that of a needed and contributing member of a GROUP and not some special snowflake superman who don't need no other help! ;)

PS: If you want more 'choices of pairs', just add more spokes to the Wheel; I've used upwards of 20, which was too many; but 16 is good.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

pming

Legend
it really is good - you get the thrill of rolling (a bit) but everyone has roughly the same - no duds, no super-heroes.
If you're replying to my Wheel of Pain method, thanks! :)

Also, if a group likes more "heroic" level stats, simply switch out the high/low threshold. For 5e, it could be 12+ (High), 11- (Low). Then there's going to be more opportunity for pairs of "14/10" or "16/11".

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If you're replying to my Wheel of Pain method, thanks! :)

Also, if a group likes more "heroic" level stats, simply switch out the high/low threshold. For 5e, it could be 12+ (High), 11- (Low). Then there's going to be more opportunity for pairs of "14/10" or "16/11".

^_^

Paul L. Ming
this is odd, I was replying to bedir and even quoted his post - can't you not see it? The reference to Redrick Roller?

Remove ads