ZEITGEIST Complete Pathfinder 2E Conversion of Zeitgeist First Act!

mirtexxan

Explorer
MAJOR REVISION. Prestige Classes (PF1) / Paragon Paths (D&D4) have been completely converted to PF2, using a system of FREE theme feats.
Guns and Gears Rules have been implemented in the Player's Guide. Naval combat has been completely removed (sorry, but it would require an entire sourcebook XD). Stipend has been clarified and expanded.

mirtexxan

Explorer
I'm curious if you've posted about this over on Paizo's boards, or maybe reddit? I'm not sure where else there's a lot of PF2 activity online.
Nope, I'm keeping it a bit contained for now. I'd like to have more opportunities for review and rebalancing before presenting my work to a bigger audience. But I'm on the verge of doing it :)

mirtexxan

Explorer
Also there is a discord server for pf2 conversions, i'm publishing there. But the users are FAR more interested in converting official paizo modules. BUUUUUUUUUU

mirtexxan

Explorer
Nicodemus, in all of his Lance of Trigenes glory :)

Attachments

• nicodemus_the_gnostic-1642892621.png
    nicodemus_the_gnostic-1642892621.png
    223.8 KB · Views: 190

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
I am very glad this exists. Not sure I will ever get the opportunity to run Zeitgeist again, or if I would have the heart to, but if I did I would like to use PF2E. As soon as I read the system I thought, “This is an exact match for Zeitgiest”. Currently playing through a mega dungeon of my own design in PF2E and its even easier to DM than 4E. Great system! Fantastic work, mirtexxan.

I am very glad this exists. Not sure I will ever get the opportunity to run Zeitgeist again, or if I would have the heart to, but if I did I would like to use PF2E. As soon as I read the system I thought, “This is an exact match for Zeitgiest”.

Curious why you think PF2e is a better match than 4e? I think I agree as well, but can't quite put my finger on why I feel like that. Zeitgiest is certainly the best 4e adventure I have seen by a long measure as it really leans hard into all 4e strengths -- integration of Themes, heroic adventures from level 1 (no rats in the cellar low level advetures), typically large plot meaningful set piece battles between lots of roleplaying/non combat to lessen the long combat fatigue, great use of "tiers" play to differentiate the Paragon and Epic adventures, etc.

Is it just the general improvements of PF2e vs. 4e in your mind, or something specific about the Zeitgesit campaign?

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Curious why you think PF2e is a better match than 4e? I think I agree as well, but can't quite put my finger on why I feel like that. Zeitgiest is certainly the best 4e adventure I have seen by a long measure as it really leans hard into all 4e strengths -- integration of Themes, heroic adventures from level 1 (no rats in the cellar low level advetures), typically large plot meaningful set piece battles between lots of roleplaying/non combat to lessen the long combat fatigue, great use of "tiers" play to differentiate the Paragon and Epic adventures, etc.

Is it just the general improvements of PF2e vs. 4e in your mind, or something specific about the Zeitgesit campaign?
I don't necessarily think PF2E is a better match, I think both systems suit the cinematic flavour of the campaign. But if I was going to run the whole campaign again, I would rather do it with a current, well-supported system (especially since I game online these days having moved away from my regular group).

I think Zeitgeist is the best adventure path I have ever read or run, not just for 4E but full stop. My players all feel the same way. It achieves something truly extraordinary. It really doesn't matter what system you use. We played the first tier in 4E then it seemed as if our campaign had fallen apart as regular members departed and I needed to take a hiatus from DMing due to parenthood. But we couldn't find anything that scratched out itch to return to Zeitgeist. As luck would have it, we were able to reassemble the same group and finish the rest of the campaign after a three-year hiatus, but by then some of my players had tired of the tactical crunch of 4E. We had just started to get our heads around the Cypher System, so we played the rest of the AP using that system.

That was the main drawback of 4E (and probably PF2E) - with a large group (I am lucky to have 7 players) combats took forever. If we hadn't switched we'd never have finished. Quite literally - we played the finale in February 2020, just a couple weeks before the first UK Covid lockdown. Haven't gamed together in person since then!

But I digress: I would love to run the campaign again if I ever found the right group, and if I were to do so PF2E would be my preferred system - in an ideal world, with four or five years to complete the campaign.

I do think PF2E is a more elegant system than 4E for a whole variety of reasons. The 3-action economy is very clever. I prefer Vancian magic to the at-will/encounter/daily structure (which PF2E essentially has in the shape of cantrips, focus spells and spell slots, but more artfully disguised and implemented); and I never liked the way 4E shoehorned non-casters into that structure, despite daily fighter powers making no sense at all.

One thing I do miss from 4E which no system had reproduced - the Warlord class; especially the Tactical Warlord. Great class (although I never liked the name).

Remove ads