• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(completely OT) I finally got a console, PS2, and I have no idea what to get for it.

Destil

Explorer
Final Fantasy Tactics.

It's PS1, but easily the one of if not the best game ever. And it's a gretest hit, so you no longer have to resort to buying copies for $70 on E-Bay.

Also Ogre Tacticts, if you can find it. A PS1 port of a SNES game, but just as good. This one is rather hard to track down, though.

P.S. Of course, the real counsel to own, IMHO, is a Game Boy Advanced. Fully backwards compatable with the best selling video-game system in history, and with an exclusive library that shames X-Box, Game Cube and PS2s (though PS2 comes close with the inclusion of PS1 Games, but do that and you have to also include GB & GBC games....).

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
Oooh, there are so many great PS2 games! That's why we bought a PS2 instead of an xBox, what's the point of having a console with superior graphic hardware if the only good games it runs are Halo and DoA3?

I'll add to the list of games Gauntlet Legends, which is just like Gauntlet, with cool graphics and more stuff.

Zone of the Enders is very cool, but it has a practically zero longevity. You can beat it in three hours and there are only three types of enemy mechs (except for the bosses). If it had longer and more numerous missions and many more different enemies, it would be a wonderful game. I have good hopes for a sequel.

Oh, do the reasonable thing, go out NOW and buy FFX.

Zappo

Explorer
At least in my area, it is fairly easy to resell a game after you're done with it. My brother does so regularly, and it's the reason for which we can stand buying a game that is wonderful but is over in two days. Make sure to use that chance, both to buy a game cheap, and to sell a game after you tire of it.

Joker

First Post
Buy Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. It's the ****. I mean, it's not just any kind of ****, it is THEEEEEEEEE ****. Seriously, you will never find **** like MGS2, b/c all the rest is just ****.

Of course I've never played it b/c I'm poor and live in a rat-infested shanty playing Counterstrike all day.

But I did play Metal Gear Solid: Solid Snake on the ps1. And let me tell you. That was the sh...

Well, you get the point. I kinda like the mgs series :).

robaustin

First Post
I am hooked on Kingdom Hearts right now. RPG'ing with the Disney characters is great fun! That game is just so great, and both adults and kids will enjoy.

But we need to know what kind of games YOU like to make recommendations. If you want something D&D like - Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is sure to be a hit!

--*Rob

Tsyr

Explorer
Re: Zone of the Enders relayability... I love doing verses games, actualy. I'm just in love with the combat in that game, though, is the thing.

Fenrir

First Post
My favorite games for the PS2:

Final Fantasy X: One of the best CRPG's ever, and the first of the Final Fantasy series that has a truly sad ending. The voice acting is good (and there's lots of it), and the world is interesting. And beautifully animated, to boot.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Although the story isn't up to par with the first, the gameplay and graphics improve drastically. And although the plot was convoluted, I like convolution, and as long as you ignore that little bit about Ocelot's stupid arm, it's actually not bad. And it carries a message that struck me as particularly poignant for some reason, as the main villain wasn't doing it all for evil reasons...long story.

Shadow Hearts: If they had done this with voices and half decent dialogue (and music), it would have been a truly phenomenal game. For now, just think of Call of Cthulhu meets Final Fantasy and Chinese mysticism.

Soul Reaver 1 rocked, but Soul Reaver 2 sucked so badly it was heinous. Still, I played through it all in a matter of almost two days because the story was really good, as it always is in the Kain series.

Onimusha 2: Better than the first, which was also a great game. But this one just goes overboard- its absolutely beautiful, with addictive gameplay and a decent story.

Way of the Samurai: I really liked the premise of this game- live out a samurai movie in so many different ways its funny.

Devil May Cry: The fastest paced, most stylish action game ever. You'll be amazed at the stuff you can make your character do on screen.

Grand Theft Auto 3: I delayed buying this game for a very long time, and I'm sad I did. It's truly the definition of mindless entertainment. A true guilty pleasure. I'm getting GTA: Vice City on the first day it comes out, definitely.

Robotech: Battlecry: My favorite old school series finally gets a worthy game. It's just a lot of fun to play in the series you loved as a kid.

Summoner 2: I'm surprised this wasn't a big hit yet. Summoner 1 had a lot of problems, but they've all been fixed in Summoner 2 and the story and world are just AMAZING. The characters are great and the game is engrossing. A must have for ANY RPG fan.

drothgery

First Post
Zappo said:
Oooh, there are so many great PS2 games! That's why we bought a PS2 instead of an xBox, what's the point of having a console with superior graphic hardware if the only good games it runs are Halo and DoA3?

Well, I use my PS2 for FFX and a short stack of classic PSX RPGs, so I don't think it's that unreasonable to use my Xbox for a DVD player (it's a much better DVD player than the PS2), sports games, anything cross-platform, and DoA3.

digitaldark

First Post
I would recommend

- Grand Theft Auto 3: great game...very good replay value...long intriguing game: Do missions for the mafia, the yakuza, even a crooked cop...do drive bys on gang members and you even get to blow up the Cuban Cartel!....steal any car you see on the road and drive it wherever you want (even off the top of parking garage while the police and FBI are chasing you).....actually Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is out at the end of this month (bigger and better than GTA3)

- Mark of Kri: great action game...stealth, bows, swords, axes, and a very unique (and easy to learn) combat system...the graphics are really good (though they are akin to a disney movie style...which isn't bad)

- Max Payne: really good "cop is framed" type of game akin to resident evil in a way....run around figuring out who did it ti you and how to pay them back...even includes Bullet Time! (slow-mo matrix style gunslinging action)

jollyninja

First Post
just a little bit about grand theft auto 3, my most depraved moment in the game was picking up 3 hookers in my station wagon, driving to a secluded dock area, having "the sex" (nothing shown, the car rocks back and forth, getting more rapid as you get the deed done, it also heals you) and getting out and wasting them with a shotgun.

also driver 2 for ps1 is like grand theft auto 3 without all the killing and great graphics.

dynasty warriors 3 is fun for a pair of people. but the core is one player action as with two it's fairly easy. as you play more games from koie (sp, the company that makes that series of games) you will notice they all have the same characters ripped out of ancient china.

Romance of the three kingdoms is the core game series, i think number 7 just came out awhile ago. it's basically a kingdom simulator, you have to monitor the actions taken in all your provinces by training/hiring troops, spying, and almost anything else you can think of that might be involved. you recriut generals (characters from the dynasty warriors/ dynasty tactics/ kessen series) to fight in wars where you can control the battles or simply gather and train the troops, send them off to fight for you and see what happens. the base game has stayed pretty much the same since the nintendo entertainment system original from 198?. with these games you either love or hate them, few exist in the middle ground.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads