Confirm or Deny: D&D4e would be going strong had it not been titled D&D

Was the demise of 4e primarily caused by the attachment to the D&D brand?

• Confirm (It was a solid game but the name and expectations brought it down)

Votes: 87 57.6%
  • Deny (The fundamental game was flawed which caused its demise)

Votes: 64 42.4%

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Quick, not-completely-random question: what flavor of fantasy do you prefer?

For instance - my first preference is for pulp fantasy in the tradition of Howard and Lovecraft, followed closely by a quasi-subtle magic style along the lines of Tolkien.
I like everything from Tolkien to Robert Jordan to Joe Abercrombie to Rowling, but I think of fantasy gaming as an entirely different experience than fantasy lit, so I don't actively try to mirror fantasy lit in my gaming. For example, I don't think I've ever made a character in the image of Conan Logan Ninefingers, or whoever.

pemerton

Legend
So Pemerton, what's your favorite flavor of fantasy?
The only fantasy fiction I read is REH Kull/Conan and Tolkien. I prefer Tolkien but enjoy REH.

In film, I like John Boorman's Excalibur (which is broadly in the same romantic style as Tolkien) and Hong Kong-style martial arts (Tai Chi Master and Bride With White Hair are probably my two favourites in the "B" style, and Ashes of Time and Hero my two favourites from the more "art" style).

In music I like the Led Zeppelin songs with Tolkien referenes ("Misty Mountain Hop"? - my memory for the titles isn't great) and Wagner (the Ring Cycle, and Parsifal). Wagner is interesting because it combines the romantic tropes of Tolkien with the more modernist outlook of REH.

In FRPGing I tend towards either "cosmological" fantasy or "historical/political" fantasy. Of the two RM campaigns I ran from 1990-2008, the first was historical/political, and broke down around level 24(? or thereabouts - my memory has faded) because the default RM magic and action resolution system doesn't cope at those levels.

The second RM campaign I ran (1998-2008) involved some deliberate depowering of the magic rules (RM being the original "modular" fantasy RPG) and was more "cosmological" in scope (it included material from OA7 Test of the Samurai, which involves an exiled animal lord trying to attain immortality by alchemically transforming the atmosphere; and from Bastion of Broken Souls, which involves interference with the "natural" cycle of souls). This campaign finished successfully at 27th level.

My current 4e campaign is cosmological/mythical in scope - this is what default 4e supports. For pulp fantasy using 4e you would want to confine play to Heroic tier, I think, or maybe low Paragon.

My current Burning Wheel campaign is historical/political. BW doesn't do "cosmological", at least by default, though it has very mythic Tolkienesque elves and dwarves.

The only fantasy fiction I read is REH Kull/Conan and Tolkien. I prefer Tolkien but enjoy REH.

In film, I like John Boorman's Excalibur (which is broadly in the same romantic style as Tolkien) and Hong Kong-style martial arts (Tai Chi Master and Bride With White Hair are probably my two favourites in the "B" style, and Ashes of Time and Hero my two favourites from the more "art" style).

Reading Pemerton's list I don't think taste in fantasy or film explains our differences because my tastes are very similar to your's pemerton in this respect (I recently posted about Ashes of Time, Bride with White Hair and Tai Chi Master on my blog, Excalibur is one of my favorite movies, and I love Conan stories). Just out of curiosity, do you find 4E works well for doing RE Howard and Excalibur style fantasy?

That is: most people seem to be perfectly okay with the idea that a character defined by having Maneuvers (or casting spells, for the Warlock) may go 2-3 combats a day (roughly a third of a day's worth) without having *any* available to use. That boggles my mind. If I signed up to cast spells or employ maneuvers, I wanna cast spells or employ maneuvers, dammit! :p It's one thing if you dabble (pick up a feat, multiclass, etc.), because that's explicitly adding just a dash of that stuff. Like ordering an entree, and choosing to get a single egg roll as a side. You're not there for the egg roll, so it's okay that it's not the main part of the dish--though you will still enjoy eating it. It just seems to me that certain classes' "entrees" are so small that you run out before everyone else has finished eating, yet you're paying exactly the same "price" everyone else is.
Analyzing the organizational structure of 5E, I would say that your entree is defined by your base class and the side dish is defined by your sub-class. Every flavor of fighter has the basic attack action as an entree, even if they vary on whether they have the spellcasting or maneuver side dishes (or whether they skip the side dishes, for a greater portion of the entree).

The battle master is defined by maneuvers, because that's all it has to differentiate from the champion or eldritch knight. That doesn't necessarily mean that maneuvers are what they're all about, though. They're still fighters, after all.

And I'll also go on record as saying that I really liked the days when wizards and clerics were primarily bad fighters who had some neat tricks that they could pull off a few times per day. It really allowed the fighters to shine in any situation that didn't​ warrant a spell.

pemerton

Legend
do you find 4E works well for doing RE Howard and Excalibur style fantasy?
As I said in the earlier post, for a pulpy feel you would want to confine 4e to Heroic and perhaps upper paragon. For REH you'd also have to do something about the spell-using classes, who are too D&D (magic missiles, fireballs etc) and not very Conan-esque.

If PCs were confined to martial (which still permits alchemy, via a feat), and sorcerers were built as NPCs, I think it could be done pretty easily, but I haven't tried it.

For Excalibur-style romantic fantasy I think 4e is great. The magic can be a bit blasty (D&D style) but the paladins, warlords, and fighters, the quest XP, the way skill challenges can be used to structure social conflict, the way the themes and paragon paths integrate the PCs into the fiction. You wouldn't want to go above paragon for this sort of feel, maybe not even much above mid-paragon (which is where you'll get fighters like Lancelot and Gawaine able to take on a dozen but not one hundred lesser warriors), but I think it's great.

Here's a link to a PbP that [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] GMed for me and some other posters, with 12th level PCs, that I think had a good romantic fantasy vibe. (I played a STR paladin.)

Here's a link to a Burning Wheel session that I ran where I was going for an Conan-esque feel. I think BW is better for that feel than D&D.

Wicht

Hero
How well does 4e do suspense and horror, would be a follow-up question...? Personally, I think that both of these are essential to a true "pulp" feel, and can use 1e - 3e (and Pathfinder) pretty well to add these flavors into a game, but wondered how well 4e did with creating a sense of dread

Just out of curiosity, do you find 4E works well for doing RE Howard and Excalibur style fantasy?

How well does 4e do suspense and horror, would be a follow-up question...? Personally, I think that both of these are essential to a true "pulp" feel, and can use 1e - 3e (and Pathfinder) pretty well to add these flavors into a game, but wondered how well 4e did with creating a sense of dread

4e is a lot more versatile, genre-wise, than it is given credit for. For instance, the Feywild is rife with Dark and Fairytale fantasy themes that play right into 4e's machinery. Mechanically, the trick is knowing which knobs to turn. Those knobs typically being either making (1) Extended Rests more precious at the metagame level (eg, turn daily refresh into some other kind of refresh...like adventure or quest related). Alternatively, you can make it more difficult to come by at the level of the fiction. For the latter, you can treat it as the Dungeon World Recover move (you cannot rest and recover until you have both comfort and safety). Attaining that is typically by succeeding at a difficult, (2) ablative Skill Challenge (charge Healing Surges for all failures). Another knob that expressly induces the horror element is the (3) Disease Track. Because divine magic options to remove horror-related ailments, curses, or wasting diseases (magical and otherwise) are not as proliferate in 4e (and expensive to use if you have them), unnerving the players by leveraging the Disease Track is a potent tool. Then there is the precise (4) Encounter Budget. If I want to make borderline lethal (and exactly that) combats non-stop for the players, it is trivially accomplished.

With those 4 things, you can put the PCs on the ropes and keep them there and unnerve them with debilitating effects.

Quick example. I've run a sort of combo Dark/Fairytale Fantasy at high heroic tier/low paragon tier in a single-player game (also more versatile in that you can certainly play single-player games, with or without companion characters). The premise of the game was based on the character's Background (Moonstruck Hunter) and Theme (Ghost of the Past). She was an elven ranger (Bow + 2-handed sword Fighter w/ Bear Companion Character, Nature/Perception Skills, Jack of All Trades, Nature Rituals) who was in the special forces for her people in Brokenstone Vale (Feywild). She chased a spectral stag through a portal on a full moonlit night and ended up in a strange, ancient world.

The default lore for this in the Feywild is that a werewolf lord forged a kingdom of lycranthropes in Brokenstone Veil and waged a decades-long war against the elves/eladrin there. The Court of Stars (the Feywild "government") conceded the territory the lycanthropes had conquered. Many/most of the elves/eladrin eventually left but a small, peripheral element still persists there. This concession enraged The Maiden of the Moon as lycanthropes are her sworn enemy. However, she couldn't attack the lycanthropes or their sovereign nation directly as it would have been in violation of The Court of Stars dictates. So she had to find a way around it. Hence this game.

- The spectral stag the PC chased was The Maiden of the Moon, the players patron Archfey in the Feywild.

- The portal sent the player back in time.

- The place she went to was the initial prime world where lycanthropy was conceived by the Primal Elder Spirt of Beasts. At that point in time, it had not left that world so it was a sort of quarantine zone.

- Her "Ghost of the Past" was herself. Her spirit had been sent there multiple times before, each one of those spirits an elf/eladrin who lost something precious to the lycanthropes of Brokenstone Vale, only to perish in the effort.

- The world was basically a harsh, lycanthrope apocalypse scenario where civilization had never been able to arise due to the pervasiveness of the were-disease. She set about uncovering the whys and wherefores of her being there and then attempted to stamp out lycanthropy forever. When she finally had the opportunity, it would have involved slaughtering several young children who were infected, against their will by their parents, with the disease. She ultimately couldn't kill them but her sparing them changed the dynamic in the present day.

Games like this are pretty easily accomplished I think. Further, brutal wilderness attrition is easily accomplished if you use 1-4 above and insert punitive wilderness hazards (which of course can't be bypassed via HP ablation) as a part of your encounter budget.

Here's a link to a PbP that [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] GMed for me and some other posters, with 12th level PCs, that I think had a good romantic fantasy vibe. (I played a STR paladin.)

Lloyd Alexander's High Fantasy and Heroic Romance is a good primer for 4e I think. Classical themes of Romantic Fantasy and Greek Mythology are clearly embedded throughout 4e's default and are meant to be leveraged (transparently so with the mechanics of Paragon Path and Epic Destiny) in Paragon and Epic tiers.

That one-off we did was obviously laden with that. Rooting out of dark evils from a kingdom, dragon-slaying, the harshness of war and the inspirational recovery due to the shining beacon of heroism, the reconciliation of old allies lost, and probably a claim to the throne (by deed and possibly by blood). All that sort of stuff. That is 4e's bloodstream north of Heroic.

Remathilis

Legend
Can't say I tried 4e for horror, but I imagine like 3e, it wouldn't be good for it. Horror involves a certain sense of powerlessness that requires gimping certain classes, powers, and spells, which is the antithesis of the balance both those editions aim for, esp 4e. Further, 4e really pushes heroic, cinematic combat which emboldens the heroes rather than worries them. Lastly, stock 4 monsters aren't scary; they lack the resistances and scary, lingering attacks (the energy drains and blood drinking of yore) to make them fight-or-flight scary.

Mostly, the problem for horror is 4e's great strength; 4e PCs are superheroes or the box and horror is best when the pics have weak spots or are frail. It might be possible to do some horror in 4e (and 3e) but it's going to require some heavy modding to make it work.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< snip >
Lloyd Alexander's High Fantasy and Heroic Romance is a good primer for 4e I think. Classical themes of Romantic Fantasy and Greek Mythology are clearly embedded throughout 4e's default and are meant to be leveraged (transparently so with the mechanics of Paragon Path and Epic Destiny) in Paragon and Epic tiers. . . .

I've read some Alexander, but only his Prydain and Chinese stuff.

I couldn't find any URL references to his "High Fantasy and Heroic Romance"; is that one primer, or are those two categories? (Help?) :)

Wicht

Hero
Can't say I tried 4e for horror, but I imagine like 3e, it wouldn't be good for it.

I can do horror pretty well with 3e actually. Its not so much about "gimping" classes as it is about setting the table properly so that what the characters perceive as their strengths don't actually do them any good. In fact, when one feels over confident, horror from helplessness becomes much more palpable.

I will say that for horror, I think 3e works bests at levels 3 through about 12th.

Remove ads