Congratulations to the 2017 Gen Con EN World RPG Award Winners!

Tonight, at Gen Con in Indianapolis, the 17th Annual Gen Con EN World Awards (ENnies) ceremony took place. Congratulations go to all the nominees, and to this year's award winners! The ENnies are an annual award program celebrating the best that tabletop roleplaying games have to offer, created in 2001.

Tonight, at Gen Con in Indianapolis, the 17th Annual Gen Con EN World Awards (ENnies) ceremony took place. Congratulations go to all the nominees, and to this year's award winners! The ENnies are an annual award program celebrating the best that tabletop roleplaying games have to offer, created in 2001.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 08.42.42.png

2018 Judges

• Brian Nowak
  • Denise Robinson
  • Kurt Weigel
  • Reece Carter
  • Sean McCoy
Best Adventure

Best Aid/Accessory

Best Cover Art

Best Interior Art

Best Blog

Best Cartography

Best Electronic Book

Best Family Game

Best Free Product

Best Game

Best Miniatures Product

Best Monster/Adversary

Best Podcast

Best Production Values

Best RPG Related Product

Best Rules

Best Setting

Best Supplement

Best Website

Best Writing

Fan's Choice for Best Publisher

• Gold: Wizards of the Coast
  • Silver: Chaosium
Product Of The Year

tales_from_the_loop.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 03.40.48.png

Brodie

Explorer
My assumption is that with the judges placing virtually no Paizo products in the voting categories that a majority of Pathfinder-centric players simply didn't vote. I might be wrong, but that was my immediate take.

To me this sounds like a possibility. And to reiterate what someone else said, Wizards didn't even bother making their presence really felt while Paizo did at Gencon this year. And I'm not going to buy the crap line that Wizards - being owned by Hasbro - is going to be more concerned with HasbroCon than Gencon. Gencon is the biggest gaming convention and Wizards has the granddaddy of all RPGs; they should be dominating the con floor by sheer force of will. Instead they go 'screw it, we can get more exposure at Pax and HasbroCon because we won't have competition there.'

Paizo took the OGL rules for D&D 3.5 and essentially made it their own and a massively better and more popular product than what Wizards ever accomplished with it. I doubt we'll see a Pathfinder 2nd Edition in the next decade (if ever) with new, proprietary rules that Paizo owns fully. If they did, I'm sure it would blow up the convention floor.

That said... I hate to admit it, but I don't care to vote. When Shadow of the Demon Lord came out, I instantly fell in love with the rules. I was more than a little disappointed to not see it nominated for any awards. This led to me finding out (from Robert Schwalb via the Google+ group) that stuff has to be submitted by the company for consideration. I don't know how true that is now and I don't know the particular details of how things are chosen, but it colored my opinion.

Granted... I'll still be checking out some of the winners in each year's awards.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Who wins or who should win is always grounds for debate with any award ceremony. Thinking positively it strikes me as a great list of products to try out! Let's give a round of applause to everyone who won and was nominated and cheer this wonderfully creative hobby!

I second this.

Griping can be great fun (I'm a past master of the sport!), but it contributes to high blood pressure, and not in a good way.

Celebrate life and the hobby, and be glad so many keep striving to create damn good products!

Ghal Maraz

Adventurer
Well I'm pretty proud how many tiny tiny tiny OSR things with a fraction of the mileage behind them that mainstream products have managed to win this popularity contest.

To be honest, I'm not seeing that many mainstream publishers in the winners list. Apart from Wizards - which is present only in the publisher category -, what names should we consider mainstream? Cubicle 7? Modiphius? They certainly are growing (and bigger than Lamentations of the Flame Process) companies and they actually do good things, but they aren't on the same league of Wizards (nor Paizo). Not even Chaosium can be considered so much mainstream anymore, as the last ten-fifteen years kept on eroding its precedent good name - the new ownership is doing good things, but they can't do miracles in just a couple of years. What I'm seeing here is a lot of small-to-medium press and indie publishers, quite a lot of non-US games and/or publishers (and this particular thing I really love) and the continual impact of crowfunding on the industry.

As far as OSR goes, I would say that Raggi, while still fundamentally a one-man publisher, has managed to rise enough awareness of LotFP to put his company at the top level of his "niche", alongside perhaps Frog God Games, Troll Lord Games and, as of late, Sine Nomine Publishing, at least in term of visibility. Which is certainly quite an accomplishment unto itself, as those are the few names in the OSR segment that are heard outside of it. As a non-OSR player myself, I can easily say that Vornhein, Red and Pleasant Land, Maze of the Blue Medusa, Carcosa and Qelong are some of the most talked about stuff I've read online, together with Dungeon Crawl Classics, Swords and Wizardry or Godbound.

So. .. what am I actually trying to convey? That the RPG industry is composed of a juggernaut that comprises the most of it (in both its 3.X and 5th incarnations) and almost everything else is"tiny". And that this time around the juggernaut wasn't racing, thus leaving the competition free to actually be interesting and unpredictable.

To me this sounds like a possibility. And to reiterate what someone else said, Wizards didn't even bother making their presence really felt while Paizo did at Gencon this year. And I'm not going to buy the crap line that Wizards - being owned by Hasbro - is going to be more concerned with HasbroCon than Gencon. Gencon is the biggest gaming convention and Wizards has the granddaddy of all RPGs; they should be dominating the con floor by sheer force of will. Instead they go 'screw it, we can get more exposure at Pax and HasbroCon because we won't have competition there.'
Weren't both Mearls and Crawford at GenCon?
Yeah, thy didn't have a booth, but WotC doesn't really sell stuff anyone and wouldn't have a new book to get into hands.

Well, that and the hotel, airfare, and boooth costs for a major presence at a GenCon they can hit 2-3 other cons.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
To be honest, I'm not seeing that many mainstream publishers in the winners list. Apart from Wizards - which is present only in the publisher category -, what names should we consider mainstream? Cubicle 7? Modiphius? They certainly are growing (and bigger than Lamentations of the Flame Process) companies and they actually do good things, but they aren't on the same league of Wizards (nor Paizo). Not even Chaosium can be considered so much mainstream anymore, as the last ten-fifteen years kept on eroding its precedent good name - the new ownership is doing good things, but they can't do miracles in just a couple of years. What I'm seeing here is a lot of small-to-medium press and indie publishers, quite a lot of non-US games and/or publishers (and this particular thing I really love) and the continual impact of crowfunding on the industry.

I don't think there is any company on the same league as Wizards anymore. White Wolf once came pretty close, but that was a long time ago.

The only company even competing with Wizards on as many fronts as Wizards participates in is Catalyst; it is leveraging the multimedia aspects of both Shadowrun and Battletech quite well. White Wolf has been trying to get back in the game, and supposedly will be, but we'll see. Other than that... Nada. Paizo, Pinnacle Entertainment, Monte Cook Games, and Chaosium are all struggling to in the multimedia area; yet, they're still miles ahead of everyone else.

That's why I am glad they didn't show up with anything at GenCon. Even though a lot of people hate them, at the end of the day Wizards still is the only big fish in this pond and still the only publisher to effectively leverage their product on a level that most can't even attempt. That's why it doesn't surprise me they won that one category; at the end of the day, no one else can compete

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads