D&D General Conscripted to Faerun

J-H

Hero
Shortbow (I draw about a 40lb bow +-, so longbow would be too much)
Spear & shield (ACOUP has a nice series about the Mediterranean Omni-Spear - there's a reason it's so prevalent) plus shortsword as backup.
Light to medium armor, in D&D terms a chain shirt.

Then supporting gear in terms of sleeping, tent, traps, firestarting, etc.

This is really what most people are probably going to pick. It's what you'd expect from a partly-trained peasant levy, which is what 3 months of practice gets you.

Zardnaar

Legend
Shortbow (I draw about a 40lb bow +-, so longbow would be too much)
Spear & shield (ACOUP has a nice series about the Mediterranean Omni-Spear - there's a reason it's so prevalent) plus shortsword as backup.
Light to medium armor, in D&D terms a chain shirt.

Then supporting gear in terms of sleeping, tent, traps, firestarting, etc.

This is really what most people are probably going to pick. It's what you'd expect from a partly-trained peasant levy, which is what 3 months of practice gets you.

Pretty much my picks.

Shiroiken

Legend
I figure tents, mess kit, and supplies would take up the donkey, so everything else is going to be carried. Because of this, I'm going light, bringing only what I absolutely need. Clothes, weapons, and some armor is pretty much all I want to carry around all day. The only luxury I'd probably want is my pipe and some tobacco (or FR equivalent).

Since I already have some training with the longsword, I'd definitely go with that. With training, I figure I'd be decent with a crossbow, so that too. Can't go wrong with a dagger. Armor is probably just going to be leather, since I'm not particularly strong either (and wearing that stuff all day is exhausting).

Stormonu

Legend
I’d be brushing up on regaining my longbow skills, first of all. At least some basic sword & shield training to supplement it. A dagger in the boot as backup and all-around tool. Some leather armor for defense, a chain shirt if I could get it. A standard adventuring backpack for miscellaneous gear, and the tent, bedroll and dinner kit on the donkey.

And I’d definitely be asking around to see if someone can clue me in to do any sort of arcane magic, even at the cantrips level (being a hobby computer programmer, I’d be hoping that’d lend me a leg up in learning at least the basics of that sort of thing, or set me on the road to do so).

Remove ads