D&D General Conscripted to Faerun

LordBP

Explorer
Porridge. Lots and lots of Porridge and dried goods.

Plus whatever you can collect, forage or hunt.
You would need about 2 lbs of Porridge per person per day (would give around 3200 calories), so 5 people would need 10 lbs per day and 30 days would weight 300 lbs. That's way more than what you want on a single mule.

Depending on the terrain, you may not be able to live off the land much.

Horwath

Legend
4 mules and a wagon(doubles up as a place to sleep)
chainshirt, shield, longsword, heavy crossbow, couple of daggers,
month worth of pemmican(trail rations),
adventurers pack and what goes with it; backpack, flint and steel, fishing line, oil and lantern, spyglass, mess kit, rope, etc...

J-H

Hero
Oh and
*posting in this thread does not grant any permission or express any particular interest in being placed into this or any other similar interplanar/cross-world scenario. I'm content where I am, thank you.

(I don't actually believe in that stuff being possible - committed Christian - but I do read fenough antasy that it was fun to put this in)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A magical portal opens and you personally end up in Faerun. You're getting sent out on patrol into the wilderness for a month. You get to share a donkey with 5 others for carrying stuff.

What numbnut is sending a neophyte to the world, with no useful skills, out on patrol? Is this a necromancer with a need for corpses, or something?

Before being sent out.

1. 6 weeks of dieting/physical training.

2. 6 weeks of weapons training

Six weeks will not get an out-of-shape middle-aged nerd in shape. And 6 weeks of weapons training is "Yellow belt" qualifications - and there's few things more dangerous to themselves and others than a yellow belt in a real fight. I am doomed.

What weapons and equipment do you personally choose?

Assuming in this process that I don't suddenly discover that I am an Artificer, or something, I'm guessing I am basically a fighter.

I have some vague familiarity with staff, spear, and polearm use, so that's what I'm looking towards to keep me alive, which is good, because staves and spears are cheap. Crossbows are the poster child for proficiency with little training, so I'll lean into that for a ranged weapon.

I spent a lot of time camping as a kid, thanks to a very active Boy Scout troop. I can pick decent campsites, and know how to light a fire without matches, though I haven't used those skills in a long time. But my next concern would be a well-equipped pack and other camp gear. Whatever is left will go to whatever armor I can afford that won't slow me down.

aco175

Legend
Would my 10 STR be able to carry 150lbs around no problem? Back in 94' we were going to invade Haiti and I had 135lbs of gear. It was mostly ammo after what happened in Mogadishu, but I could hardly move the 250 yards to secure the main gate, let alone go all day.

Horwath

Legend
Six weeks will not get an out-of-shape middle-aged nerd in shape. And 6 weeks of weapons training is "Yellow belt" qualifications - and there's few things more dangerous to themselves and others than a yellow belt in a real fight. I am doomed.
Maybe combine both into 12 week fitness and martial practice program.
That sounds as most military boot camps.

ezo

I cast invisibility
Ok, I've had time to think about this today at work, so here we go:
What weapons and equipment do you personally choose? You can take the 5E phb starting equipment while on patrol or assume an average roll on the money table and buy what you want.
6 weeks of diet/physical training would be ok, but I am in good shape, exercise regularly (lifting and cardio), hike, jog, and play some hobby sports regularly. However, getting *used to whatever food is there" would probably require that time as a transition period.

6 weeks of weapon training would be awesome! While I've had some training in self-defense and knife fighting, and bow hunted up until about five years ago, the other two were much longer ago and brushing up on those skills would be essential of course. I would have to get used to using a "medieval fantasy bow" instead of a hunting bow, but I would be more interested in learning the handaxe (chopping wood doesn't count I would guess!) and the sling (stones are pretty much everywhere...).

"Armor training" would be a big one for me since I've never had real armor training/use IRL, since the few times I tried LARPing doesn't count and I was never in SCA or similar. So, supposing I could at least pick up Light armor proficiency and maybe shields, I'd be thrilled with that alone. I wouldn't mind being able to wear brigadine, but even a gambeson or boiled leather, or ringed leather, would offer significant protection. I would never want anything heavier, like mail or plate armor.

Whatever you pick you have to wear it, carry it and use it.
If by "use it" you mean I would be proficient, then here you go. Without proficiency, the armor/shield would be out.

Personal gear weight 90.5 lbs., cost 89 gp, 7 cp

Armor: (14 total)
--- padded (gambeson) (8)
--- shield (round) (6)
Weapons: (5 total)
--- shortbow (2)
--- sling (in pouch)
--- handaxe (2)
--- dagger (1)
Backpack containing: (35 total)
--- clothes, traveler's (4)
--- healer's kit (3)
--- hooded lantern (2)
--- flasks of oil, 2 (2)
--- rations, 5 days (10)
--- sacks, 2 (1)
--- soap (1)
--- torches, 2 (2)
--- waterskin, full (5)
Strapped on backpack: (16 total)
--- bedroll (7)
--- rope, silk 50 feet (5) with grappling hook (4)
Quiver with 20 arrows (2)
Case, map, containing: (1 total)
--- Parchment, 20 sheets
--- Chalk, 10 pieces
Pouch containing: (6.5 total)
--- caltrops, bag of 20 (2)
--- tinderbox (1)
--- whetstone (1)
--- sling bullets, 20 (1.5)
--- sling
Pouch containing: (7 total)
--- mess kit (1)
--- weaver's tools (5)
Signal Whistle (worn)
Traveler's clothes (worn)

On Mule (49 of 50 lb limit. I assume 120 lbs would be used for fodder, pack saddle, water, etc. for the mule, possible firewood or other sundries): extra dagger, handaxe, quiver with 20 arrows, traveler's clothes, 10 days rations, 4 waterskins (full)

I'd probably also have a mastiff or some other dog if possible.

You retain any skills you currently have IRL.
Skill Proficiencies:
--- Athletics
--- Investigation
--- Medicine
--- Survival

While not proficient by 5E standards, other skills might include Animal Handling and Nature. Since 5E doesn't have any skills regarding sciences, etc. as we know them, those don't translate.

Tool Proficiencies: (depending on the level of training/use to be considered "proficient")
--- cartographer's tools
--- weaver's (tailor?) tools
--- vehicles (water)

If I ever was able to train to gain a class, it would probably be Ranger.

Well, it's been fun. :D

Richards

Legend
You would need about 2 lbs of Porridge per person per day (would give around 3200 calories), so 5 people would need 10 lbs per day and 30 days would weight 300 lbs. That's way more than what you want on a single mule.
Well, when the mule collapses after having carried than load for so long, you can always eat the mule.... :)

Johnathan

Remove ads