Consent in Gaming - Free Guidebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I am saying that if u have a table where 12 people came to play game of thrones. And one person is terrified of game of thrones then that person should leave.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yes. If someone is offended they should play at a different table or with someone else. It is impossible to not offend everyone. Just like u r offending me right now. So u should change your position so that I am not offended.

Then you should follow your own advice and just deal with it and not complain...

But more seriously, don't try to pull the "intolerant of intolerance" paradox that I see being used shortly.

monsmord

Adventurer
Firstly...I'd ask you to leave.

...is what I would do should that other account holder show up at my table.

As much as enjoy the rebuttal posts, I wish y'all weren't wasting your time on that trollbot. "People" like that are very much against improving as humans, and aren't to be swayed by things like rationality, empathy, humanism, etc.

And why I hope this free doc (or others like it, and other relevant tools) are adopted by every con. So that such bot-people will hear words like, "Stay home if you don't like it." And exercise their freedom to go away.

Sacrosanct

Legend
...is what I would do should that other account holder show up at my table.

As much as enjoy the rebuttal posts, I wish y'all weren't wasting your time on that trollbot. "People" like that are very much against improving as humans, and aren't to be swayed by things like rationality, empathy, humanism, etc.

Noted. And I shall cease. Time to go make dinner anyway. Black bean and chicken enchiladas. If anyone doesn't like enchiladas, they can leave ;)

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Really. I thought we were taking about using tsunamis and dehydration to kill players and dealing with players that have phobias to spiders and such. Well we have to stop the game because Fred is afraid of spiders. And bob had a friends die in a car accident. So no more car chases in our games. Oh and Cindy she’s afraid of clowns so now we have to cancel the game that takes place in a circus.

It might be the case that the boundaries someone sets are incompatible with the game we choose to play, but that does not make someone setting those boundaries like wrong. In this case we have a couple options. We can change the game to accommodate their boundaries, we can agree that this game might not be a good fit for them, or we can play some other game together.

This can be a fairly tough choice to make at times. If we are playing a game that is focused on survival the threat of dehydration can be a really big deal. In my last Apocalypse World game there was a player who had some trauma around casual violence and ended up choosing not to play. She hopped back in when we played Masks. I missed having her there, but Apocalypse World is focused on the impact of casual violence.

I am not saying you are not allowed to have your own boundaries. Just that we should all strive to respect people's boundaries and err to the side of valuing the people over the game. When you determine it is not a good fit you should still respect people's boundaries and like who they are as people. In any event it is way better to know what affects people and come up with a solution as adults than for someone to remain silent about the stuff that affects them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases