• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Consider the Cannoli: Subjective Preferences and Conversations about Geek Media

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
By strange coincidence, a relative from out of town is stopping by tonight (any minute now). Depending on how much of his family is in tow, we’re either getting takeout pizza or going to Cici’s.

(If it’s the latter, I’ll be having at least one slice of Canadian in y’all’s honor… 😜 )
My relative got caught up in a wedding & reception that ran long, and won’t be joining us tonight. So we opted for Vietnamese instead- I had pho.

But if they show tomorrow, Canadian pizza is still an option…

My relative got caught up in a wedding & reception that ran long, and won’t be joining us tonight. So we opted for Vietnamese instead- I had pho.

But if they show tomorrow, Canadian pizza is still an option…
We called it Hawaiian pizza back home (Canada). That was the one with pineapple. I never had it, did not like it, but it was pretty popular.

MGibster

Legend
We called it Hawaiian pizza back home (Canada). That was the one with pineapple. I never had it, did not like it, but it was pretty popular.
Most of us call in Hawaiian pizza here in the United States as well. It might have Canadian bacon on it, but it's not a Canadian pizza. That would have poutine on it I'm sure.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry, brain fart- it IS Hawaiian pizza. I was thinking of its origins when I typed that. It was created in Canada almost 60 years by a Greek immigrant called Sam Panopoulos.

MGibster

Legend
Poutine is much more Quebecois than Canadian. It spread, but much more popular in Quebec.
I'm reporting you to the mods for educating and informing me! I will not be subject to any form of learning on the internet. I figured it was from Quebec but just assumed it was popular throughout the whole country. I'm sure Germans are sometimes bemused by Americans who think Bavaria is all of Germany.

MGibster

Legend
Many, many years ago, when I wore the clothes of a younger man, some friends of mine invited me to their place for chili. I was living in Texas at the time, but I wasn't a purist by any stretch of the imagination, so I didn't care whether my bowl of red included beans, nor was I particularly concerned about how spicy it was, but I was not prepared for the horror that would await me at my friend's apartment.

I spied a large bowl of unsauced spaghetti on the kitchen table upon my arrive. I was immediately curious, is someone eating spaghetti tonight? This is when I learned about the unholy abomination that is Cincinnati chili. Oh, it didn't taste horrible or anything and like a good guest I ate it. Oh! The disappointment.

Clint_L

Legend
Most of us call in Hawaiian pizza here in the United States as well. It might have Canadian bacon on it, but it's not a Canadian pizza. That would have poutine on it I'm sure.
Nobody where I live in Canada calls it "Canadian Bacon." I don't think I've ever seen a pizza here called "Canadian pizza," either. Hawaiian pizza is ham and pineapple. I'm not exactly sure what "Canadian bacon" actually is - thick ham, or something?

But maybe it's an Ontario thing. Canada, much like the US, is a huge country with a lot of distinct regions. BC, where I live, is more like Washington State in many ways than it is Eastern Canada.

MGibster

Legend
Nobody where I live in Canada calls it "Canadian Bacon." I don't think I've ever seen a pizza here called "Canadian pizza," either. Hawaiian pizza is ham and pineapple. I'm not exactly sure what "Canadian bacon" actually is - thick ham, or something?
Regular bacon comes from the belly while Canadian bacon comes from a loin and is what you might call back bacon.

Remove ads