Level Up (A5E) Considerations when adding Maneuvers

So, this is what I had made PRIOR to finding A5E (as you might imagine, might be overbuilt), but I loved 4E, so I wanted to bring some stuff back.

Granted, many are still melee focused, but there are still a number of options for ranged attacks too.

Laser Llama created their own system of Martial Exploits for their own take on the Fighter Class. Alternate Fighter by laserllama They're halfway through this PDF, and they're almost like the combat maneuvers in A5e in that they're categorized by degree (from 1st degree to 5th degree).

Zetesofos

Explorer
May I offer a different suggestion?

Most of these are really nice and simple things that any martially oriented character might be able to do, and some of them don't exactly fit the structure of maneuvers, like Breach. Right now, Basic Maneuvers require nothing but intention to enact them... you -could- add a few of these maneuvers to the "Basic Maneuvers" list and give some them an exertion point cost.

Distract, for example, would be a great Basic Maneuver with no cost associated with it. Meanwhile Escape could have a 1 point exertion cost to grant the bonus action saving throw. Same goes for Castling, or as you called it King's Castle.

It would not only give your Fighter Types some interesting tricks of the trade, but improve your casters' ability to contribute in situations where magic isn't an option for various reasons.

Though you could also slap together a nice "Guards's Watch" combat tradition together with a bunch of these as well...

So, the trained exploits were designed to be martial cantrips, and are ideal for basic maneuvers, which is what was leaning towards already.

Also, "Guard's Watch" is a great tradition name, I will need to steal that for sure.

Zetesofos

Explorer
Laser Llama created their own system of Martial Exploits for their own take on the Fighter Class. Alternate Fighter by laserllama They're halfway through this PDF, and they're almost like the combat maneuvers in A5e in that they're categorized by degree (from 1st degree to 5th degree).

I think a lot of parallel thinking on this notion seemed to confirm it was the right call by A5E to add these features in. Now its just a measure of having enough options without power creep.

Remove ads