[Construct] 'Roller blades'

'Roller blades' construct, sounds a pointless, or bizzare idea, and I may have misread the rules, but if not, they are sure a crazy way to get around. (I havnt found such a thing before, but I'm new at this still)

1) What do they do?

A construct with wheels can move 80 feet, and who ever has access to the spell can bark an order as a move action. This means by standing inside the construct you can move

- The spell seems to say you can't animate worn items, not you cant animate items... then wear them; Although I think a DM may frown upon wearing multiple animated scarfs for dozens of attacks. If you can't animate a construct then wear it, I guess this idea is kaput, but I cant find the rule to tell me this isnt allowed

2) How do I make them (I wouldnt just use pre made ones)

I would advise creating 6-8 hinges, for 3/4 wheels on each side of your boot attachment.
I would make the wheels out of a rubbery substance ideally, but I honestly cant think what would work best (tar and something maybe?)
(At option) I would leave holes in the boots for spike's or flat cylinders
Now cast permanency on the wheels and hinges as a single connected item
On the inside we now (may) have holes to attach spike's or cylinders
a) spikes for offensive purposes and climbing on rocky terrain
b) cylinders, because we cant enchant a construct, if these cylinders had spider climb, great way to travel
The hinges let the wheels fold to 90 degrees so you can walk (probably as if wearing heavy armor) while wearing them

3) What rules would this need to work
First you need your DM to accept animated roller blades, that part I dont think is unreasonable
Next you need to have him let you wear them, not to bad, considering you can tell the construct what to do
This isnt you moving, so what penalties must this lead to or what skills should be involved?

Possible skills
1) Ride, at a -5 penalty, it is similar to riding I suppose
2) balance, you have just shot 80feet forwards (or ALOT more if you ran) so if you are off balance you could fall over on your knees, even if the boots remain up right
failure by 1-4, fall over upon stopping
failure by 5 or more, for each number above 4 you failed by dragged 10 feet (to a maximum of total distance covered) and suffer 1d3 (lethal or non lethal?) damage per 10 feet dragged
3) Reflex save, take a reflex save after movement to avoid falling
4) Are you flat footed, you can still move your feet with your boots on them, or order them about, faster than usual even, you could argue totaly flat footed, dex loss, or dex gain.

OR
Use a feat
You may have such trouble using this bizzare form of transport it requires a feat to do so or you suffer flat footed penalty and above listed issues

--------------
So why not use magic boots? because quite simply I was thinking of things you could do with a construct (Granted I would never use or try to use the many scarves of binding)

Issues:
1) I really dont know if this is legal?
2) It says 'attacks what the user tells it to' so while I dont think telling it to move is a long shot, I wouldnt be able to make a firm ruling if I was making these as a player
3) Have I made a grave mistake on some part of my idea

--------------
This if it works is something id like to try, I quite like the idea of a character using these, especialy a rouge/ninja/scout

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Are you familiar with Maug Grafts from Fiend Folio? page 213 has Rollers, where you replace your lower torso with the equivalent of a tank base. Also mentioned in The Graft Handbook. Not quite roller blades, but closest thing I can think of.

I looked it up, and it is something new to me.

I think the Maug Graft seems to turn you into a semi-tank like being?

The roller blades are a far different design, and maybe its because its my own, but I would much rather the temporary, and faster roller blades (Which would fit over magic boots) to the roller's - even if you do risk falling over.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
50149.jpg

The Maug in summary. For details see the Fiend Folio p.121. Living and intelligent Construct from the Outer Plane of Acheron.

Alternately, are you familiar with the Psionic power Skate?

Scroll down here to see the Boots of Skating.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
and who ever has access to the spell can bark an order as a move action. This means by standing inside the construct you can move

- The spell seems to say you can't animate worn items, not you cant animate items... then wear them; Although I think a DM may frown upon wearing multiple animated scarfs for dozens of attacks. If you can't animate a construct then wear it, I guess this idea is kaput, but I cant find the rule to tell me this isnt allowed

What spell are you referring to?

Permanent Animate Objects?

So if I'm following you correctly, make the wheeled boots, then animate them so they are self-propelling? And still put them on your feet?

I think I could see that working. An Animated Object, "They follow orders without question and to the best of their abilities". As a tiny construct, you're looking at the 80' landspeed, right?

I think you're onto something!

Oh, I see, the line, "This spell cannot animate objects carried or worn by a creature." Hm. What about an Animated Skateboard? Something stood upon instead of worn?

Last edited:

Oh, I see, the line, "This spell cannot animate objects carried or worn by a creature." Hm. What about an Animated Skateboard? Something stood upon instead of worn?

I think that line is more so that you can't animate, say, your opponent's cloak and have it strangle him in the middle of battle.

After all, how many animated swords and boots of dancing can be found in DnD? These are items that are specifically meant to be held/worn.

I think dragonfriend7738 is right about how the animate works, but the DM could interpret it how ever he wishes (I think he would be reasonable)

I think if I get a level 14 character, making this would be a good way to get around.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
2) How do I make them (I wouldnt just use pre made ones)
Some suggestions:
-Find an NPC crafter such as a Gnome or a Dwarf and say "I want to make This" along with an explanation, and let the DM figure pricing and time.
-Fabricate spell with your raw materials. Bypass the crafting process.
-Discuss with your DM what craft checks in woodwork, leatherwork, metalwork, stonework, basketweaving, whatever, would be appropriate.

If I were your DM and you came to me with this brilliantly wacky idea, I'd Say you were creating Masterwork boots and would require Leatherwork (for the footgear), Metalwork or Stonework (For the assembly and the wheels) or Woodwork to replace metal and stone if you have access to the Ironwood spell (For the assembly and the wheels) skill and checks.

Looking in the Arms and Equipment Guide, A pear of high boots are 5gp. Making them Masterwork as armor prices it at 305gp.

The SRD on Craft Skill
gives info for the time this would take. In Silver Pieces this is 3050, I'd go off the DC chart for your Leatherwork Boots and require a DC 20 check because you're making a superior item, these boots need to be designed to fit the assembly that will attach to them. Additionally there's a Masterwork DC 20 for the assembly. I'd have that rolled off the Stone, Metal or Woodwork skill.

3) What rules would this need to work
First you need your DM to accept animated roller blades, that part I dont think is unreasonable
Next you need to have him let you wear them, not to bad, considering you can tell the construct what to do
This isnt you moving, so what penalties must this lead to or what skills should be involved?
Once complete I'd simply put them on your feet (Assuming your DM already allowed this wacky idea) and say since directing an Animated Object is a Move action, just declare you're moving. Let your DM come up with penalties such as difficult terrain and slopes, and if you need to make a Balance check.

So why not use magic boots? because quite simply I was thinking of things you could do with a construct (Granted I would never use or try to use the many scarves of binding)
Because having your own pet rolling sneakers sounds great. they can follow behind you, carrying your socks and things. Fairies can use them as cars.

1) I really dont know if this is legal?
Sounds legit.
2) It says 'attacks what the user tells it to' so while I dont think telling it to move is a long shot, I wouldnt be able to make a firm ruling if I was making these as a player
Moving as a Move Action sounds good. It may try to trample Fine creatures and kick things, but you and the DM can Roleplay those details. "Animated objects fight only as directed by the animator. They follow orders without question and to the best of their abilities."
So it'll charge at that Elder Red Dragon, wanting to slay it to the best of it's abilities. Getting it to back down may be harder then moving forward.
3) Have I made a grave mistake on some part of my idea
Technically you will have 2 Animated Objects, one for each foot, both animated by the same spell. You should be able to order them both as the same single move action, however I could see creative situations where you order them to move towards the nearest monster and each happens to be nearer a different monster.

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
Question: Would a pair of Diminutive sized Constructs (Animated Objects) be able to carry a person's weight at the kind of speeds you're thinking of?

The Animated Objects entry in the SRD only goes down to Tiny, but even if we called each of your "boots" a Tiny construct rather than Diminutive, they'd each have a Strength of 8, and a carrying capacity of 40 lbs, maximum. (80 for a Strength of 8, halved for size.)

That's the top end of the Heavy Load entry on the table. So if your character and gear weighed over 80 lbs, your roller blades wouldn't be able to move at all. (That's allowing for the weight to be evenly distributed between two "boots")

If you weight more than 26 lbs, movement is reduced from 80 to 55 due to encumbrance (You've exceeded their Light Load of 13 lbs each.)

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but there are a lot of problems with your idea. This is just one of them.

Good point, what if we counted each wheel as a str 4 (13lb light load) and divided it between 8 wheels on each foot so 208 lb light load distributed evenly.

Lets work with the D&D human base weight 120 lb, it is feesable, depending on how your DM feels the distributed weight works. If encumberance reduces it to 55 from there, 55 feet base land speed, id still be fairly happy with that tbh, considering your not actually wearing magic boots.

I do appreciate any criticisms (And appreciate more ways to over come the criticisms) as I don't want an idea that doesn't work, or I'm effectively going to be cheating.

Remove ads