• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Construct] 'Roller blades'

Greenfield

Adventurer
At that point you're definitely talking about Fine constructs, which reduces their Strength scores even more, and applies an even worse size modifier as well.

I don't think you'll buy anything with that approach. (Besides, at that point the Animated Object no longer *has* wheels, each one *is* a wheel, and it's not the same.)

And we haven't even questioned coordinating the Initiative scores of all 8 wheels, plus your own, or what kind of Balance checks you'd have to make to keep from falling every time your feet were jerked out from under you, or what qualifies as "Rough terrain" for a creature that's three inches high (one wheel), or the fact that "die" the first time an area effect hits. (The Tiny ones only have 2 hp each, so realistically (odd word to use, but...) they'd have 1 hp when you went smaller.)

Your very expensive, difficult to assemble magical roller skates would "die" very easily.

As combat transport goes, this is not a winner.

Why not invest in a pair of Wings of Flying instead? 60 feet, Good maneuverability (which means you can hover), and no terrain modifiers.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Additional note: The Base Weight from the table is indeed 120 lbs for a Human Male. Base Height is four feet, ten and a half inches.

To the height you are supposed to add 2D10 inches, which will average 11.

To the weight you are supposed to add 2 D4 lbs (average 5), multiplied by the result of the 2D10 you rolled on the Height table.

So 120 lbs is a weight that can only exist for an adult Human Male if you can find a way to roll zeroes on those dice.

Average height will be 5'11" or 6'. Average weight will be 120 + (11 x 5), or 175 pounds.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Quadruped creatures can carry a heavier load (Is it twice as much?). Since these are not 2 legged creatures, is there a RAW way to justify carrying the heavier load?

I think the vulnerability to the AoE attacks are the real issue, one fireball would stop your movement, and you now have wasted a lot of money or experience.

If you could find a way to make them energy resistant, then it may be worth looking at how much they could carry.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I think the vulnerability to the AoE attacks are the real issue, one fireball would stop your movement, and you now have wasted a lot of money or experience.

If you could find a way to make them energy resistant, then it may be worth looking at how much they could carry.
perhaps craft golems instead?

Greenfield

Adventurer
Would you require Mounted Combat to enable someone to swing a sword while riding a set of animated roller blades?

And, on a similar tangent, have you ever heard of "Rosenback Riding"? I might have that misspelled, but it's a style of riding done while standing on the horse's back. I've seen demonstrations at fairs and such.

I've also seen a variation where the rider uses two horses, one under each foot.

That's how I envision this working, by which I mean badly. Any variation in behavior between the two mounts will force the rider to either release one horse, struggle for balance while risking injury, or just plain fall.

Now, if you wanted to animate a skateboard, I could see it.

Animating a carpet would allow it to fly, according to the SRD. It wouldn't fly fast or well, but it could fly. (Flight of 10, Clumsy, and a carrying capacity based on a Large creature with a 16 strength. )

It would also have 52 hit points, which makes it more survivable.

That does seem like it will work a lot better, I will defiantly think about using it with a skateboard, though the flying carpet does seem a tad bit in-efficient.

Greenfield

Adventurer
To be honest, the carpet was more or less a joke.

Consider starting with the statue of a horse. The hardness of the stone will remain once it's animated, effectively giving it a significant DR. Four legs will give it speed.

Note that an Animated Object - Pony will have all the same virtues, and fit in places where riding horseback would be an issue.

Of course, you'll still have the problem that, like the roller blades or the skateboard, it won't respond the way you might expect. Skateboards and roller skates are maneuvered by shifting body weight, leaning or pushing off. Horses respond to the reins, the spurs, the pressure of your knees.

Constructs respond to verbal commands, only. Their movements will only be as precise as you can describe in the few words you can utter while moving in combat, which means that while you may be able to move very fast, precise placement or combat maneuvers may be out of the question.

Oh, and if you move into a Silence area, you are hosed. You can't give orders if they can't hear them, so you'll be immobilized, or else you'll continue moving along your last course, with no way to stop or change direction.

I thought of a horse once, I thought just getting a magical beast would be better at that point, but I think so long as the animated creature could see your finger you could point where you want to go, it would most likly charge if it could, or otherwise just run at the enemy you point to.

For the skateboard, still a little weak, but if you shouted shift in degrees' it may understand you, it may not, up to the DM. It wouldn't be like a normal skateboard I guess, no need to shift your weight. you would ofcourse be travelling at 13/14 feet per second, so with a balance check of lets say 8 inches with -2 to-5 for movement at that rate as your roll needed.

Remove ads