• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Continued Support

delericho

Legend
Glyfair said:
As far as publishers, I would be very surprised if you see major publishers decide to stick with 3.5 instead of 4E. You might see some try to support both, and certainly some smaller publishers will try to carve a niche by being the "3.5 nostaglia" company.

My thoughts exactly. As far as I can see, the only thing that would alter this is if 4e flops hard, which I think is unlikely (but not impossible). In that case, however, I would expect a lot of companies simply to fold up and leave the market. (The same would also apply if the new license made it impractical for many of them to support 4e, as well.)

3.5 will probably see some limited dual-stat support, a number of small companies sticking around (with varying levels of success), and a fair amount of fan support.

All IMO, of course.

Glyfair

Explorer
delericho said:
3.5 will probably see some limited dual-stat support, a number of small companies sticking around (with varying levels of success), and a fair amount of fan support.

I think the initial limited dual-stat support, as I mentioned, will mostly be "we developed it for 3.5 first and already have these stats." After the initial rush, I think the major companies will avoid 3.5 stats because they have to pay extra to develop those stats. It's no secret that statblocks are among the most work intensive things in 3.5 (ask James Jacobs about the ones in the end of the Savage Tide), and that the profit margin on most RPG products is razor thin.

Psion

Adventurer
It'd be cool if there were companies continuing to support 3.5. But to be honest, I've almost totally stopped buying 3.5 material.

I look at my shelves and contemplate all the great ideas that I never got a chance to play out, and am thinking to myself I want for little.

But the day may come when I'll have exhausted all those avenues that interest me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Psion said:
It'd be cool if there were companies continuing to support 3.5. But to be honest, I've almost totally stopped buying 3.5 material.

And there's your answer. You are not alone. :)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
The nice thing for those who decide to continue with 3.5 is that you should be able to get LOTS of stuff for a very low price....

I too have enough 3.5 stuff to last forever, though I will continue to buy such products as long as they're available.

I will not be buying *any* third party 4E stuff unless the company also offers the 3.5 stats in some way or the product is really "system neutral" such as 'dungeon tiles' or a statless campaign setting that catches my eye.

GVDammerung

First Post
DaveMage said:
The nice thing for those who decide to continue with 3.5 is that you should be able to get LOTS of stuff for a very low price....

I too have enough 3.5 stuff to last forever, though I will continue to buy such products as long as they're available.

I will not be buying *any* third party 4E stuff unless the company also offers the 3.5 stats in some way or the product is really "system neutral" such as 'dungeon tiles' or a statless campaign setting that catches my eye.

What the man said! This is my outlook precisely.

catsclaw227

First Post
I have stopped my 3.x purchases since the announcement. I had Anauroch, Rules Compendium, and Exemplars queued up for purchase, and since then I have removed all from my amazon queue.

I am even considering dropping my Gamemastery adventure Subscription (not pathfinder, though), and I had NEVER considered that until just this past week. I have a lot of adventures for 3.5 that I can run, including Pathfinder's Rise of the Runelords, so what do I need the extra adventures for? I still haven't really even read the 3 that I already have...

The announcement has certainly put a halt to my 3.5 purchases, and I am a d20 RPG addict. :)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
catsclaw227 said:
I have stopped my 3.x purchases since the announcement. I had Anauroch, Rules Compendium, and Exemplars queued up for purchase, and since then I have removed all from my amazon queue.

I am even considering dropping my Gamemastery adventure Subscription (not pathfinder, though), and I had NEVER considered that until just this past week. I have a lot of adventures for 3.5 that I can run, including Pathfinder's Rise of the Runelords, so what do I need the extra adventures for? I still haven't really even read the 3 that I already have...

The announcement has certainly put a halt to my 3.5 purchases, and I am a d20 RPG addict. :)

Well, since you are moving on to 4.0, you may want to pick up the WotC titles you mention above as (IIRC) they will be providing updates to these once 4.0 is out. On the other hand, if you wait a few months, you may be able to get them for 1/4 the price on ebay. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads