• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Continued Support

FnordBear

First Post
So with the wealth of 4e info we have recieved lately I was wondering. For those of us that enjoy 3.5 have any third party publishers announced plans to continue to produce/support 3.5 material? For that matter is there any information indicating the 3.5 OGL will continue beyond the introduction of 4e?

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
The current version of the OGL will still be active and useable until the end of time. Same is true with the 3.5 SRD. I doubt you will be able to obtain a copy from Wizards once the next SRD is released so downloading it now isn't a bad idea.

Some PDF/POD publishers have stated that their products will be available in 3.5 as well as 4.0 stats for easy porting. I know Necromancer stated that they plan on supporting whatever the current version of D&D is out (whatever version that may be at any point in time); so it sounds like they will be stopping support for 3.5 the moment the new PHB is released. I don't know of any company, as of this point in time, that will be supporting 3.5 to the exclusion of 4.0.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
dmccoy1693 said:
The current version of the OGL will still be active and useable until the end of time. Same is true with the 3.5 SRD. I doubt you will be able to obtain a copy from Wizards once the next SRD is released so downloading it now isn't a bad idea.

Do you think this means that D20srd.org will go away too?:(

Wombat

First Post
I know this sounds odd, but how much more support does 3e need?

There are hundreds of adventures (probably over 1000 if you count all the third party material out there), dozens of settings, hordes of variant rules, a metric plethora of PrCs, a vast multiplicity of spells, etc.

Isn't that more than enough to play the game for years and years?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Galeros said:
Do you think this means that D20srd.org will go away too?:(
There's no reason they have to. If they like running the web site, I'd expect they'd maintain both a 3.5 and a 4e version (assuming that's allowed). Of course, I'm just speculating.

Glyfair

Explorer
dmccoy1693 said:
I know Necromancer stated that they plan on supporting whatever the current version of D&D is out (whatever version that may be at any point in time); so it sounds like they will be stopping support for 3.5 the moment the new PHB is released.

Necromancer Games has stated they will release Tegel Manor as 4E, but will have a PDF with the 3.5 stats in it (since they are already done). I wouldn't be surprised if that is a common tactic, at least for 3.5 products that are redirected to 4E.

As far as publishers, I would be very surprised if you see major publishers decide to stick with 3.5 instead of 4E. You might see some try to support both, and certainly some smaller publishers will try to carve a niche by being the "3.5 nostaglia" company.

To my knowledge, Necromancer is the only publisher that has stated there will be any 3.5 support after 4E is completely released.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The issue certainly isn't a paucity of support materials. The issue will be finding new players who want to play 3e instead of 4e. Having active support for a game makes it seem vital, and (for better or for worse) many people want to play an "active" game. Just as 2e DMs nowadays might have trouble finding players in a 3e world, I can foresee a time when it'll be hard to attract players to a game older than 4e.

It won't be as difficult as 2e, though; 3e and 3.5e are great games.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The other problme is that 3.5 material may not be financially viable to produce. Since the announcement of 4E (i.e. long, long before it hits the stores), EN Publishing has seen a nearly 80% drop in sales. I don't know how true that is for other publishers, but at that level it's just not possible for us to support 3.5.

So - the market will decide if 3.5 support will continue; people will (are) voting with their wallets.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Morrus said:
The other problme is that 3.5 material may not be financially viable to produce. Since the announcement of 4E (i.e. long, long before it hits the stores), EN Publishing has seen a nearly 80% drop in sales. I don't know how true that is for other publishers, but at that level it's just not possible for us to support 3.5.

So - the market will decide if 3.5 support will continue; people will (are) voting with their wallets.

Hi-

Personally, I think there is such a dearth of 3.x material out there that people can be very choosy as far as what they buy. Heck, I own very littlei n the way of TPM stuff and perhaps slightly over half of what WoTC has put out since 3.x inception.

Bottom line, it really really has to be unique and astounding for me to buy a product nowadays.

Scott

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Scott_Holst said:
Hi-

Personally, I think there is such a dearth of 3.x material out there that people can be very choosy as far as what they buy. Heck, I own very littlei n the way of TPM stuff and perhaps slightly over half of what WoTC has put out since 3.x inception.

Bottom line, it really really has to be unique and astounding for me to buy a product nowadays.

Scott

That's certainly been true for a long time. I'm specifically referring to a dramatic effect beginning immediately after the 4E announcement.

Remove ads