D&D 3E/3.5 Converting a duskblade from 3.5 to 4e?

Klaus

First Post
With Arcane Implement Proficiency (light blades or heavy blades), any arcane character can fulfill this role. A bard, hexblade (who won't need the feat) or even a wizard could be this character.

Oh, that reminds me guys. I commissioned Claudio to do this illustration of the party for Christmas a couple years back.

48350d1304090122-converting-duskblade-3-5-d-d-4th-edition-achaeasriders.jpg

Attachments

• AchaeasRiders.jpg
    AchaeasRiders.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 271

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
With Arcane Implement Proficiency (light blades or heavy blades), any arcane character can fulfill this role. A bard, hexblade (who won't need the feat) or even a wizard could be this character.

I don't know that one...tell me more.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Surprised nobody has mentioned Avenger :confused:

Just reflavor a lot of it as shadow magic instead of radiant and you're pretty set.

Because it's divine & not arcane, and with Wis as it's primary stat, it's not going to mesh as well.

However...

Dislike them though I do, 4Ed monks are an Int-based, "any weapon as implement" designed melee class, and hybridized with an Int-based arcanist, you could get a lot of the feel you're looking for.

Nullzone

Explorer
So houserule it? Power sources aren't exactly a fine art, they're thematic components. Also, I don't really understand why WIS being primary matters at all since Avengers have "spells" like anybody else and can fling them around just as readily. Go Retributive Avenger and take WIS/INT if you're really big on getting INT bonuses (or again, houserule it).

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
So houserule it? Power sources aren't exactly a fine art, they're thematic components. Also, I don't really understand why WIS being primary matters at all since Avengers have "spells" like anybody else and can fling them around just as readily. Go Retributive Avenger and take WIS/INT if you're really big on getting INT bonuses (or again, houserule it).
I'm right there with you on the houseruling, but the problem there is that if you have to do that too much, RangerWickett's argument of "see, you can make your old characters in 4e no problem" loses a little bit of steam.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that the intent was to show that these concepts could be realized with a minimum of DM fiat.

TornadoCreator

First Post
OK, I would strongly suggest either a hybrid class Sorcerer and Swordmage, or multiclassing (although this would work less I think). If you use the Storm Sorcerer powers and took a feat to allow the sword to be used as an implement, it would give a similar feeling to the 3.5 Duskblade and your primary stats would be Intelligence, Charisma and Dexterity, which work quite nicely and would give you high defenses.

The character in this case could dart back and forward between the Defender and Ranged Striker roles and has access to a few powers that allow pushing enemies and an encounter that specifies that if you're a storm mage you gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of the encounter. This is all during heroic as well, come paragon there are loads of options avaliable to work into the Duskblade feeling. To be perfectly honest though, you could just use the Swordmage and change a little of the fluff and flavour text to make it fit better.

Nullzone

Explorer
I'm right there with you on the houseruling, but the problem there is that if you have to do that too much, RangerWickett's argument of "see, you can make your old characters in 4e no problem" loses a little bit of steam.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that the intent was to show that these concepts could be realized with a minimum of DM fiat.

Which is still pretty silly to me since this whole game is about imagination and fantasy, meaning the rules are what you make of them, full stop.

But it's a fair point.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Which is still pretty silly to me since this whole game is about imagination and fantasy, meaning the rules are what you make of them, full stop.

But it's a fair point.
Oh, I agree, but I get the impression that there is a certain amount of catering to the hardcore old edition holdouts going on, so some leaps in logic must be made...

Remove ads