• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
As for the "Domestic Empathy" I've come up with the following...

Herd Animal Empathy (Ex): This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except it only works on domestic herd animals (camels, cattle, elephants, horses, pigs, sheep, et cetera) and their wild relatives. A herdsman genie also has a +4 racial bonus on Animal Handling and Ride checks against such herd animals.

I originally called it "Pastoral Empathy" but was concerned that name was a bit unclear.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I prefer the last suggested feat line (4 bonus feats), and the empathy is looking pretty good.

Number 6

First Post
The Attributes fork fine... and the empathy ability too.

I'm a little reluctant to give so many bonus feats... however, I find it hard to eliminate any of those feats listed by Cleon.
lol

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
The Attributes fork fine... and the empathy ability too.

I'm a little reluctant to give so many bonus feats... however, I find it hard to eliminate any of those feats listed by Cleon.
lol

Yes, I was having that problem too. The only feats I would feet comfortable with eliminating is the Improved Initiative. That's a standard genie bonus feat though, so we might as well keep it.

That's about it for the SA/SQ isn't it, apart from the substitute for dust devil which #6 said he had something for.

Since we've done the feats, shall we work out the skills?

I'm thinking the following nine skills, all with maximum ranks:

Handle Animal 6, Heal 6, Knowledge (nature) 6, Listen 6, Profession (herder) 6, Ride 6, Spot 6, Survival 6, Use Rope 6

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

For skills, it gets 9 at 6 ranks.

Balance, Handle Animal, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Ride, Spot, Survival, Tumble?

I compiled that list based on the class skills of various mounted prestige classes, alternate classes, and class variants.

We might swap a few ranks here and there to include Hide and Move Silently, since they are apparently stealthy. Maybe Use Rope as well?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd be comfortable with dropping Tumble and perhaps some of Jump and/or Balance to get those other three skills. How about

Balance 5, Handle Animal 6, Hide 5, Jump 5, Knowledge (nature) 6, Listen 5, Move Silently 5, Ride 6, Spot 5, Survival 6?

Number 6

First Post
Possible substitute for the 2nd-edition AD&D Dust Devil spell:

From the Sand Storm supplement...
STORM MOTE
Evocation [Air, Earth]
Level: Druid 3, sorcerer/wizard 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Cylinder (5-ft. radius, 10 ft. high)
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude half
Spell Resistance: Yes
You create a whirling vortex of sand. It flies at speed of 60 feet per round (perfect maneuverability), and you can concentrate on controlling its every movement or specify a simple program. Directing the vortex’s movement is a move action, while changing its programmed movement is a standard action. If you don’t move or program the vortex, it merely stays at rest, spinning and howling. The vortex dissipates if it exceeds the spell’s range.

If a storm mote enters a space with a creature, it stops moving for the round and deals 2d8 points of damage to the creature. A successful Fortitude save reduces damage by half. Those outside the vortex have concealment against those inside. The vortex extinguishes all nonmagical flame.

Arcane Material Component: A pinch of sand.
As I recall, Dust Devil was a 2nd-level spell... and Storm Mote seems a little stronger than what I remember Dust Devil doing. On the other hand, it doesn't last long and it has a Fortitude save... so it just might work nicely.

Shade

Monster Junkie
When we converted the markeen, Cleon proposed the following replacement for dust devil:

Summon Dust Devil (Sp): Once per day a markeen can summon a Small air elemental to appear in its whirlwind form anywhere with a 50 foot range. This spell-like-ability allows the air elemental to remain in its whirlwind form for 1 round per Hit Dice the markeen possesses. The elemental can not revert to its normal form to make slam attacks, but must remain in its whirlwind form while summoning lasts, moving as the markeen directs it. Summon Dust Devil is the equivalent of a 2nd level spell.

We ended up going with simply summon monster III (air elemental only).

We could go either way here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads