• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 6

First Post
Anyone mind if they lose the Bewitching Lights abilities after three months of no feeding, or should that be sooner?

Also regarding Bewitching Lights, what is the effect of darkness spells? It doesn't need to be physical damage... but is that significant enough to thwart the Bewitching Lights abilities, provide bonuses to saves, or not significant at all?

Cleon

Legend
One question for Feed on Emotions: can it use Bewitching Lights when it's starving?

Good point, we'd better rephrase that:

Oh, and I think it may make more sense to add "feeding" to the start of that second paragraph.

Feed on Emotions (Su): An al-jahar can feed off emotional energy, but it can only feed off intelligent creature gripped by strong negative emotions (rage, lust, greed, et cetera), although such emotions can be natural or induced by such spells such as domination, fear or rage. An al-jahar can attempt to feed off all creatures within a 30 ft. radius. Any creature gripped by a hateful passion must attempt a DC 17 Will save, if they fail they take 1 Charisma damage and can not be affected by any al-jahar's feed on emotions attack for the next 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Al-jahar must feed on emotions to sustain their powers. Feeding on one point of Charisma damage is enough to sustain an al-jahar for a day. If an al-jahar goes hungry for more than a week it is unable to use its bewitching light powers, if it goes hungry for a month its 3/day spell-like abilities become 1/day powers, after 3 months it can only use its at-will spell-like abilities and is fatigued, and if it goes hungry for a year it cannot use any of its spell-like or psionic powers and is exhausted (although it can still change shape and sense or feed on emotions). It is impossible for an al-jahar to starve to death, they can linger for centuries without the strength to cast a spell. An al-jahar can recover from a stage of starvation by feeding off 5 points of Charisma.

Cleon

Legend
Anyone mind if they lose the Bewitching Lights abilities after three months of no feeding, or should that be sooner?

Also regarding Bewitching Lights, what is the effect of darkness spells? It doesn't need to be physical damage... but is that significant enough to thwart the Bewitching Lights abilities, provide bonuses to saves, or not significant at all?

Hmm, a bonus to saves is my favourite among those.

Cleon

Legend
You're speaking my language. ;)

Based, perhaps, on the Spell Level of the light spell in question?

Don't you mean Darkness spell?

It would be easier just giving it a flat +2 or something, but I suppose we could do the other thing.

Or we could reduce the DC, something like. "Bewitching lights is weakened by any spell with the darkness descriptor. If the al-jahar or its opponent is under the effects of such a spell the DC of the bewitching lights power is reduced by a number equal to the spell level of the highest level darkness spell."?

Number 6

First Post
Don't you mean Darkness spell?

It would be easier just giving it a flat +2 or something, but I suppose we could do the other thing.

Or we could reduce the DC, something like. "Bewitching lights is weakened by any spell with the darkness descriptor. If the al-jahar or its opponent is under the effects of such a spell the DC of the bewitching lights power is reduced by a number equal to the spell level of the highest level darkness spell."?
Technically, darkness spells.

While I like the simplicity of a straightforward +2 bonus for the victim, lowering the Save DC has a certain appeal to me.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, the flat change is maybe a little simpler to track, but a save bonus or a DC reduction is the same thing, except "active" vs "passive".

Cleon

Legend
Well, the flat change is maybe a little simpler to track, but a save bonus or a DC reduction is the same thing, except "active" vs "passive".

Quite. So do you prefer DC-lowering:

"Bewitching lights is weakened by any spell with the darkness descriptor. If the al-jahar or its opponent is under the effects of such a spell the DC of the bewitching lights power is reduced by a number equal to the spell level of the highest level darkness spell."

or save-boosting:

"Bewitching lights is weakened by any spell with the darkness descriptor. If the al-jahar or its opponent is under the effects of such a spell the opponent receives a bonus to their saves against bewitching lights power equal to the spell level of the highest level darkness spell."

I guess I like the wording of the save-boosting a bit better, but it doesn't make much difference to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads