• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That hp total could work, though you'd probably have to round up instead of down or institute a "minimum 1" rule.

What if we convince Shade to go for 2 spell levels per Con?

Those are all the symbiont rules from the FF, I think.

Cleon

Legend
That hp total could work, though you'd probably have to round up instead of down or institute a "minimum 1" rule.

What if we convince Shade to go for 2 spell levels per Con?

Those are all the symbiont rules from the FF, I think.

I was going to go for the "minimum 1 hit point" solution. That seemed the best match to the RAW.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
In that case, what about this?

Heal Host (Ex): In desparate situations, a vizier's turban can heal its host by returning some of the transfered Con. For each point of Con transfered, the host can choose to sacrifice one spell level and point of SR to gain 1 hp per 2 HD of the host (minimum 1 hp). However, the host must make a DC X Fort save for each point of Con used for healing; the transfered Con becomes permanent Con drain on a failed save.

Cleon

Legend
In that case, what about this?

Heal Host (Ex): In desparate situations, a vizier's turban can heal its host by returning some of the transfered Con. For each point of Con transfered, the host can choose to sacrifice one spell level and point of SR to gain 1 hp per 2 HD of the host (minimum 1 hp). However, the host must make a DC X Fort save for each point of Con used for healing; the transfered Con becomes permanent Con drain on a failed save.

I'd prefer "sacrificing" to "returning" since I think the point of Con should only return after the normal 24 hour transfer window (assuming the host made their Fort save).

Also, it should heal hit points, not gain them.

Something like:

Heal Host (Ex): In desperate situations, a vizier's turban can heal its host by sacrificing some of the transferred Con. For each point of Con sacrificed, the host can choose to sacrifice one spell level and point of SR to heal 1 hp per 2 HD of the host (minimum 1 hp). However, the host must make a DC X Fort save for each point of Con used for healing; the transferred Con becomes permanent Con drain on a failed save.

Cleon

Legend
That looks good to me!

Are we actually ready for skills and feats?

Looks like it!

We haven't got much to go on regarding skills.

"It eagerly engages in philosophical discussions with its host if the wizard initiates the conversation"

Knowledge (religion)?

"Keenly curious, a vizier‘s turban is always happy to travel with its host to see new places and things. It is very observant, though it reacts to stimuli with a never-ending sense of wonder rather than logically. If it sees a lion charging its wizard, for instance, it does not warn the wizard but rather goggles at the wondrous creature rapidly approaching."

Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (local), Listen and Spot?

I doubt they have Knowledge (nature) if they don't know what a lion is! :p

They are virtual masters of disguise since they look like strips of material when unwound and like scarves, turbans, or veils when posing. ... Its sense of humor is such that it is amused by the antics wizards go through to locate it. Indeed, its attempts at disguise and camouflage may be a test to see if a particular wizard is clever enough to find it and therefore worthy to become its partner"

Disguise!

Put that together and we get...

Skills: Disguise, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Spot

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wow...you did make progress! :D

I'd like to work in some Knowledge (arcana), too, but otherwise the skills appeal. I'd be satisfied with just stating Knowledge (any three) and leaving it up to the DM upon which areas they'd like the turban to philosophize.

Cleon

Legend
Wow...you did make progress! :D

I'd like to work in some Knowledge (arcana), too, but otherwise the skills appeal. I'd be satisfied with just stating Knowledge (any three) and leaving it up to the DM upon which areas they'd like the turban to philosophize.

I thought about giving them Knowledge (arcana) but their writeup says...
It has no opinions about what spells the wizard should study or which ones he or she should cast in a given situation, since it does not itself have any spellcasting talent. It does not understand and cannot read the spells which its wizard learns but instead derives a sense of satisfaction from feeling its wizard‘s emotional response to both learning and casting spells.
Knowledge (any three) would work too. Wondered about that myself, but I enjoy fiddling with the details. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads