Converting Al-Qadim creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't feel the need to tie them to other SRD avians, since they're rather humanoids that can shapeshift into avians. But the main reason I picked the larger bonus for Wis is precisely because they're divine casters --- they might already have a good Wis, but they will also benefit the most from the boost.

Whew, the CC swanmay gets quite a few boosts, doesn't it?

Anyway, let's get this settled and then deal with the SQs. Did I convince you at all?

Cleon

Legend
I don't feel the need to tie them to other SRD avians, since they're rather humanoids that can shapeshift into avians.

Most humanoids who shapeshift into an animal form have abilities tied to their animal forms, I'm not sure why you think Bird Maidens should be any different.

But the main reason I picked the larger bonus for Wis is precisely because they're divine casters --- they might already have a good Wis, but they will also benefit the most from the boost.

Well it's because they would benefit a lot from it that I don't think they need that much! :cool:

Whew, the CC swanmay gets quite a few boosts, doesn't it?

Yes, the CC Swanmay gets +2 to all stats. I suppose we could give the Bird Maiden the same, or maybe leave out Con and give 'em +2 to Str, Dex, Int, Wis and Cha?

Anyway, let's get this settled and then deal with the SQs. Did I convince you at all?

You haven't swayed me much so far... :hmm:

freyar

Are you thinking of examples outside lycanthropes?

Gee, and I thought you usually liked to ramp monsters up a lot! ;) I just don't think we can assume they'll have amazing base stats before the template, so I don't mind giving them a hefty Wis boost.

But I could compromise with +2 to everything but Con. It's not super-flavorful, though.

Cleon

Legend
Are you thinking of examples outside lycanthropes?

Gee, and I thought you usually liked to ramp monsters up a lot! ;) I just don't think we can assume they'll have amazing base stats before the template, so I don't mind giving them a hefty Wis boost.

But I could compromise with +2 to everything but Con. It's not super-flavorful, though.

Well they're mostly clerics, so I think it's fairly safe to assume a typical Bird Maiden has Wis 14-15 as a base creature.

If you're really keen on Wis +4 I can go along with it, but I still like a decent Dex bonus for them. They can't wear armor or shields and have AC 7, suggesting either Dex 17 or skin like leather. The Enworld version of the Swanmay has a +3 natural armour, but the Book of Exalted Deeds Swanmay has no NA bonus. I'd prefer them to be "soft skinned" in human form though.

Hmm, the AD&D Book of Humanoids version has a Natural Armor Class 7. It also has stat bonuses of +1 Dex and +1 Wis, with the following stat ranges:

Ability Score Range
Ability
Minimum*
Maximum
Strength
13/918
Dexterity
13/918
Constitution
14/1218
Intelligence
9/12
Wisdom14/1219
Charisma9/1518
* The second number is for the druid class. These ability score minimums include the class minimums.

We should a few more ability bonuses too, so I don't disappoint your expectation about my desire for ramping monsters up a lot. :cool:

How about Str +2, Dex +6, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +2?

freyar

Are those for the swanmay or bird maiden? Anyway, I will go along with your proposed ability bonuses except for Int. The minimum listed doesn't justify it, I think.

Cleon

Legend
Are those for the swanmay or bird maiden? Anyway, I will go along with your proposed ability bonuses except for Int. The minimum listed doesn't justify it, I think.

The Book of Humanoids stats are for a Swanmay, yes.

I don't mind cutting the +2 Int from the Bird Maiden - the Swanmay has a better Int range according to the Monstrous Compendium - Highly to Genius vs Average to Genius, or 13-18 vs 8-18. That's a mean of 15.5 for the Swanmay and 13 for the Bird Maiden, suggesting a Bird Maiden's Int modifier should be a step lower than the Swanmay's.

Cleon

Legend
So we are set with Str +2, Dex +6, Wis +4, Cha +2?

Yup. Updating the Bird Maiden Working Draft.

Ready for SQs?

Sure.

The current Alternate Form stats works for me pretty well, but it needs an initial paragraph setting out the rules.

I do like the idea of dividing it into several versions with slightly different abilities in their bird forms - keen eyed day birds, night birds with superior low-light vision, water birds with a swim speed, or whatever. Can you think of any more?

Remove ads