• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Cleon

Legend
I'll take a shot at a proposal for the Bird Maiden Working Draft...

Bird Shape (Su): A bird maiden can use her enchanted feather garment (see below) to shapechange into a bird. This ability functions like the Alternate Form special ability, except as noted here. The bird forms have the abilities given in the Bird Shape Table (see below) instead of the normal abilities granted by Alternate Form.

A novice bird maiden can only assume the form of a tiny songbird, but more experienced bird maidens can take on many bird forms. The maiden chooses a bird form to change into at character level 2, based on the example forms in the Bird Shape Table, then an additional bird form at each subsequent level up to level 8. A bird maiden's chosen forms often reflect aspects of her character in some fashion. For example, a secretive bird maiden might have a nightjar as her 3rd level form, while a garrulous one may become a raven or mynah bird.

At 9th level she can change from one bird form to another bird form without having to return to humanoid form in-between.

At 10th level, she is no longer limited to the seven bird forms she selected previously, but can assume the form of any bird from Tiny size to Large size.

Level¹
Example FormSizeFly Speed
NA²Attacks³Abilities†
2Nightingale, SparrowTiny40 ft. (average)Bite 1d3-6 Str, +2 Dex
3Dove, Ibis, ParrotTiny40 ft. (good)+1Bite 1d4-4 Str, +2 Dex
4Hawk, Owl, KiteTiny60 ft. (good)+1Claws 1d4 and bite 1d3-2 Str, +2 Dex
5Hornbill, Stork,
Giant Parrot
Small60 ft. (average)+2Bite 1d6 and 2 claws 1d2+0 Str, +2 Dex
6Bloodhawk, EagleSmall80 ft. (average)+22 claws 1d3 and bite 1d4+2 Str, +2 Dex
7Dire Hawk, BoobrieMedium80 ft. (average)+32 claws 1d4 and bite 1d6+4 Str, +2 Dex
8Giant Owl, Giant EagleLarge80 ft. (average)+42 claws 1d6 and bite 1d8+8 Str, +2 Dex
1 A bird maiden with this many character levels can assume a bird form of this class. Higher level bird maidens can still assume the smaller forms.
2 A bird maiden's natural armor bonus increases by this amount when it is in this class of bird form.
3 The 2nd and 3rd level bird forms have a single bite attack; the 4th level form has a single claws attack and a secondary bite attack; the 5th level form has a bite attack and two secondary claw attacks; the 6th to 8th level forms have two claw attacks and a secondary bite attack.
A bird maiden's ability scores are adjusted by these values when in bird form. These modifiers are in addition to the bird maiden's normal ability adjustments and include size adjustments based on the assumption the base creature is Medium sized.
— If the bird maiden's base creature is of a smaller size, adjust the Strength modifier according to the Changes to Statistics by Size table in Improving Monsters (e.g. add +4 Str for a Small base creature), but do not adjust the Dexterity or natural armor modifiers.
— If the base creature is larger than Medium, increase the sizes of the bird forms and their natural weapon damage by the same degree (e.g. a Large bird maiden's 5th level form is Medium instead of Small, with a 1d8 bite and two 1d3 secondary claws), but do not modify any of the other stats.

A bird maiden can assume any of her bird forms at will as a standard action. The effect lasts for 1 hour per character level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to bird or back) is a standard action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity.

When a bird maiden uses Bird Shape, she can regain lost hit points as if she had rested for a night. A bird maiden can heal herself in this fashion once a day for every 3 character levels she possesses.

Any gear worn or carried by the bird maiden melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the maiden reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the maiden's feet.

A bird maiden can speak normally while in bird form, which allows her to cast spells with verbal components. Bird Maidens can select the Natural Spell feat as if their Bird Shape ability were the druid's Wild Shape ability.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend

Upon reflection, I would rather cut the auto-healing bit out to a separate SQ, since it makes it easier to keep track of it:

Healing Change (Su): When a bird maiden uses Bird Shape, she can regain lost hit points as if she had rested for a night. A bird maiden can heal herself in this fashion once a day for every 3 character levels she possesses.

Cleon

Legend

I'm thinking of expanding the bit before the table as follows.

Bird Shape (Su): A bird maiden can use her enchanted feather garment (see below) to shapechange into a bird. A novice bird maiden can only assume the form of a tiny songbird, but more experienced bird maidens can take on many bird forms. This ability functions like the Alternate Form special ability, except as noted here.

A bird maiden chooses a bird form to change into at character level 2, based on the example forms in the Bird Shape Table, then an additional bird form at each subsequent level up to level 8.

At 9th level she can change from one bird form to another bird form without having to return to humanoid form in-between.

At 10th level, she is no longer limited to the seven bird forms she selected previously, but can assume the form of any bird from Tiny size to Large size.

A bird form must be that of a bird the bird maiden is familiar with. A bird maiden's chosen bird forms need not match the size of the actual bird - there are maidens who can change into pigeon-size peafowl or halfling-sized macaws.

The maiden's chosen forms may reflect aspects of her character in some fashion. For example, a secretive bird maiden could have a nightjar as her 3rd level form, while a garrulous one may become a raven or mynah bird.

The bird form has the abilities given in the Bird Shape Table presented below instead of the abilities normally granted by Alternate Form. They do not gain any special abilities or racial bonuses of the actual bird, such as a Giant Owl's superior low light vision and +8 racial bonus to Listen, or a buzzard's scent ability, with one exception: If the bird has a swim speed, the bird form gains a swim speed equal to the actual bird or half the bird form's fly speed, whichever is less.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's sort out Evasion and DR. First off, where do you get Evasion from? I don't see anything like it in the original text. DR is probably 5/magic, but we could set it to something that scales with their HD or character level.

Cleon

Legend
Let's sort out Evasion and DR. First off, where do you get Evasion from? I don't see anything like it in the original text. DR is probably 5/magic, but we could set it to something that scales with their HD or character level.

I included Evasion because they can assume the form of Giant Eagles, which have that special quality in 3E. I'd be OK having it kick in at a particular HD, but think they'd better have it in all bird forms once they acquire it.

As for the Damage Reduction, I'd favor having it scale with character level/HD. Since the AD&D original Bird Maidens require +2 weapons to hit, I'd go for DR 5/magic at low levels and DR 10/magic at higher levels. I'm open to argument as to what level the switchover occurs.

freyar

If we give them evasion, I'd give it to them in any form. I'd probably have it kick in at some HD level, but I might give it to all of them. OTOH, I'm not 100% convinced to give it to them at all.

I'll agree with that plan on the DR. Probably switch over around 5 HD.

Cleon

Legend
If we give them evasion, I'd give it to them in any form. I'd probably have it kick in at some HD level, but I might give it to all of them. OTOH, I'm not 100% convinced to give it to them at all.

I'll agree with that plan on the DR. Probably switch over around 5 HD.

I'm open to negotiation on the Evasion, I'd be OK having it kick in at a certain HD level. Maybe at 8 HD, since that's when they can assume Giant Eagle form, and that's the only monster on their sample shape list that has Evasion.

So, we're talking:

2-4 HD - DR 5/magic
5-7 HD - DR 10/magic
8+ HD - Evasion

freyar

OK, I'll go for that. Seems reasonable enough, since by 8+ HD the DR probably isn't going to do them a whole lot of good anyway.

Remove ads