• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Cleon

Legend
OK, I'll go for that. Seems reasonable enough, since by 8+ HD the DR probably isn't going to do them a whole lot of good anyway.

Updating the Bird Maiden Working Draft with.

Damage Reduction (Ex): A bird maiden gains damage reduction 5/magic when in bird form. This DR increases to 10/magic at 5th level.

Evasion (Ex): Starting at 8th level, a bird maiden gains evasion when in bird form. If the bird maiden already has evasion when in her humanoid form, she gains improved evasion when in bird form.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd actually give them DR and Evasion in both human and bird form, but I won't be too picky if it's a big deal to you.

Time for the special feather garment? Or do you want to consider a special attack?

Cleon

Legend
I'd actually give them DR and Evasion in both human and bird form, but I won't be too picky if it's a big deal to you.

So you'd prefer?

Evasion (Ex): Starting at 8th level, a bird maiden gains evasion. If the bird maiden already has evasion, she gains improved evasion instead.

I suppose I could accept that, 'though it seems a bit munchkiny. :p

I preferred the bird-form only Evasion, since it give her a bit more reason to fight while "feathered up".

Time for the special feather garment? Or do you want to consider a special attack?

I'm OK with it as a Special Quality. I guess we can just rework the Selkie's magic garment.

freyar

Well, except for this line in the original monster:

In bird form, bird maidens can peck and claw, but most don’t fight as birds.

So I'd go for the munchkiny version. ;)

I didn't mean to make the garment an SA (and I agree with re-working the selkie or loup-du-noir). I meant to ask whether there is another SA you'd like to add.

Cleon

Legend
Well, except for this line in the original monster:

So I'd go for the munchkiny version. ;)

That's 'cause most can only assume the shape of Parrots of Wrens, which are hardly very combat worthy. The ones that can become Giant Eagles are likely to use it to fight!

Anyhow, I suppose we could give her Evasion in human form.

Or maybe we could stagger it too, so she starts out evasion-less, then gets it in bird form, then gets it in bird and humanoid form.

I didn't mean to make the garment an SA (and I agree with re-working the selkie or loup-du-noir). I meant to ask whether there is another SA you'd like to add.

Oh, you mean in addition to what we've got.

I don't think we need to add anymore SAs. She'll have her spells and class abilities to fall back on, after all.

freyar

I would be fine with staggering Evasion (that came out funny), but I'd just give them DR and Evasion in both forms.

OK, in that case, shall we deal with the garment SQ now?

Cleon

Legend
I would be fine with staggering Evasion (that came out funny), but I'd just give them DR and Evasion in both forms.

Come to think of it I was going to go for DR in both bird and humanoid form, since IIRC the original monster entry did not limit its "+2 weapons to hit" to the bird form. I do still like the notion of restricting the Evasion to its bird form, e.g.:

Damage Reduction (Ex): A bird maiden gains damage reduction 5/magic. This DR increases to 10/magic at 5th level.

Evasion (Ex): Starting at 8th level, a bird maiden gains evasion when in bird form. If the bird maiden already has evasion when in her humanoid form, she gains improved evasion when in bird form.

But failing that, I prefer a "staggered" approach:

Damage Reduction (Ex): A bird maiden gains damage reduction 5/magic. This DR increases to 10/magic at 5th level.

Evasion (Ex): Starting at 8th level, a bird maiden gains evasion when in bird form. At 10th level, she gains evasion in humanoid form. If a bird maiden already has evasion from another source, such as levels in the Rogue class, she gains improved evasion instead.

Hmm, the wording of the above could do with some work.

OK, in that case, shall we deal with the garment SQ now?

We can start talking about it, sure.

freyar

I'd go with the staggered version. Work for you?

Here are some abilities to compare for the garment:

Silkie said:
Magic Sealskin (Su): All silkies possess an enchanted sealskin which allows them to assume seal form (see Alternate Form, above). Should another creature steal this skin, a silkie is unable to attack them unless the skin's thief attacks the silkie first (as per the affect of the sanctuary spell). Furthermore, the silkie has a -4 penalty to resist all Charisma-based skills and saves against enchantment spells performed by the skin-thief.

If a silkie's sealskin is destroyed, the silkie is able to create a new one by performing an hour-long ritual in the Land Under Wave with the assistance of a silkie with a magic sealskin.

Loup du Noir said:
Magic Wolfskin: All loups du noir possess an enchanted wolfskin which allows them to assume wolf form (see Alternate Form, above). While in wolf form, the wolfskin grants the loup du noir darkvision 60 ft, the scent ability, damage reduction 10/good or silver, immunity to charms and compulsions, and a +4 resistance bonus on saves vs mind-affecting affects.

If a loup du noir loses its magic wolfskin, it cannot take wolf form until it replaces the wolfskin. This requires the ritual killing of a canine of at least Large size in single combat, followed by skinning the victim. Alternately, the skinless loup du noir can murder another loup du noir and steal their wolfskin.

If a loup do noir dies, a humanoid in possession of its magic wolfskin can become a loup du noir by performing a profane ceremony with the skin. This requires a successful DC 20 check against Handle Animal, Knowledge (arcana), Survival, or Use Magic Device.

They're fairly similar. I guess I'd modify the silkie's version, since it's a bit simpler.

Cleon

Legend
I'd go with the staggered version. Work for you?

It does, yes.

Updating the Bird Maiden Working Draft with.

They're fairly similar. I guess I'd modify the silkie's version, since it's a bit simpler.

Most of the complication of the Loup is about how they can acquire and replace their wolfskin. The Bird Maiden's only have one feather garment, which they obtain upon their "initiation", and they die if the garment is destroyed.

That's a lot closer to the Silkie version.

I've got a few ideas about how to do it, but that can wait til later.

freyar

How's this?

Feather Garment (Su): All bird maidens possess an enchanted feather garment which allows them to assume bird form (see Bird Shape, above), low-light vision, damage reduction, and evasion. Should another creature steal this garment, a bird maiden is unable to attack them unless the thief attacks the bird maiden first (as per the affect of the sanctuary spell). Furthermore, the silkie has a -4 penalty to resist all Charisma-based skills and saves against enchantment spells performed by the garment-thief.

If a bird maiden's feather garment is destroyed, the bird maiden dies.

Last edited:

Remove ads