• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I guess it's fair to leave it out and leave the interpretation to the DM. But what I was suggesting was just the second paragraph of the symbiont rules and the default for magic items.

Cleon

Legend
I guess it's fair to leave it out and leave the interpretation to the DM. But what I was suggesting was just the second paragraph of the symbiont rules and the default for magic items.

So shall we leave it out to spare us yet another pointless argument passionate debate?

e.g.:

Feather Garment (Su): All bird maidens possess an enchanted feather garment which grants them all the other special qualities of this template (bird shape, low-light vision, damage reduction, and possibly evasion). Should another creature steal this garment, the garment-thief gains a +4 bonus when using Charisma-based skills or attacks with Will saving throws against the bird maiden.

If the feathered garment is destroyed (X hp, no hardness, takes double damage from fire), the bird maiden automatically dies at the end of that round. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don't work on a bird maiden whose feather garment has been destroyed. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life, which also recreates the maiden's feather garment.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It's just a few feathers, but it is magical. And I wouldn't want it to be too easy to destroy with, say, just a match. How about 8 hp?

Cleon

Legend
It's just a few feathers, but it is magical. And I wouldn't want it to be too easy to destroy with, say, just a match. How about 8 hp?

A tindertwig does 1 point of fire damage at the most so it wouldn't be that easy.

I'd be OK compromising with 8 or 10 hit points.

If you want to make it harder to destroy, how about the feather garment has DR or hardness so it's pretty resistant to non-fire attacks?

Cleon

Legend
Let's say 8 hp, hardness 2. Does that work for you?

That'd be OK, although giving it hardness feels a bit odd:

Feather Garment (Su): All bird maidens possess an enchanted feather garment which grants them all the other special qualities of this template (bird shape, low-light vision, damage reduction, and possibly evasion). Should another creature steal this garment, the garment-thief gains a +4 bonus when using Charisma-based skills or attacks with Will saving throws against the bird maiden.

If the feathered garment is destroyed (8 hp, hardness 2, takes double damage from fire), the bird maiden automatically dies at the end of that round. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don't work on a bird maiden whose feather garment has been destroyed. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life, which also recreates the maiden's feather garment.

Cleon

Legend
That'd be OK, although giving it hardness feels a bit odd:

If the feathered garment is destroyed (8 hp, hardness 2, takes double damage from fire), the bird maiden automatically dies at the end of that round. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don't work on a bird maiden whose feather garment has been destroyed. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life, which also recreates the maiden's feather garment.

Come to think of it, how does a Bird Maiden repair her feather garment?

That's something that is never addressed for other "skin wearing" D&D shapeshifters like Selkies, so I guess we don't need to deal with it.

Remove ads