Converting Epic Level Creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The Opawang appears to be a normal man of middle years with a waxy, almost translucent complexion. Muscles and bones can be seen beneath the skin in bright light, and the Opawang's eyes glow with an unearthly radiance when he is angry (similar to the wu jen fiery eyes spell--and with the same effect).

Here's the fiery eyes spell...

Fiery Eyes (CA)
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Wu Jen 1 (fire)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 minute
Saving Throw: Reflex special; see text

This spell causes your eyes to glow with an unnatural fire whose color you determine (from dull red to brilliant yellow), projecting beams of bright light that clearly illuminate a 5-foot-square area to a range of 5 feet. By fixing your sight on one spot within 60 feet as a full-round action, you can cause combustible materials to burst into flames, and though you cannot target living creatures with this effect, creatures carrying or wearing items you ignite take 1d6 points of fire damage and must make a DC 15 Reflex save or catch on fire themselves.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Wow, kind of forgot about him.

Hmmm, how about this?

Fiery Eyes (Su): The Opawang's eyes glow brightly, illuminating a 5 ft radius around him in bright light. The Opawang can choose to extinguish this glow or reinstate it at will as a swift action. While his eyes are lit, the Opawang may cause any combustible material, not including creatures, within 60 ft to catch fire as a standard action. However, if a creature is carrying or wearing weapons that catch fire, that creature immediately takes X hp fire damage and must succeed at a DC X Reflex save or catch fire. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looks good! 1d6 fire is consistent with the usual "catch on fire" damage.

The Opawang also has absolute control over the spirits, greater and lesser on the island of Akari. He holds the spirit of the island itself, Harooga, prisoner in his Dead Land domain. All spirits on the island of Akari are uncooperative to those other than the Opawang and his Ochimo (who are referred to as a single being). This is by command of the Opawang.

Should we give him a "command spirits" ability, similar to command undead, but pertaining to creatures with the spirit subtype?

freyar

Sounds good to me. But he doesn't need to make a turning check (if you mean as a cleric) or allow a save (if you mean as the spell)?

So just put in 1d6 fire damage in fiery eyes? Sounds OK.

freyar

It's reasonable, but we should give him a very high effective cleric level. If we want, I could also see justification in the flavor for making the command be automatic, though with a (large) HD cap.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmmm...as long as he isn't controlling the Black Leopard or other mighty members of the Celestial Court, that might work.

freyar

Are deities spirits too? Yikes! Let's check that.

I like the tie-in with the Black Leopard, too. I imagine that the big cat is kind of ticked at the Opawang to be honest. We need to remember that in the flavor text.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmm...your question regarding the island serpents resisting his command makes me think that a supernatural compulsion ability might be more appropriate than tying it to turn undead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads