• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Epic Level Creatures

Cleon

Legend
I like it, sounds cool and origonal.

Well I don't think we should say anything definite about its origins.

We can use the hallowed old "according to myth", "some sages theorize, but none know for sure" or even "not even the gods can say". :)

Nookie

Explorer
Stillit puts an interesting twist on this critter. I Still think 1 or 2 SLA might be in order. Teleport would be good eanough i think.

Cleon

Legend
Stillit puts an interesting twist on this critter. I Still think 1 or 2 SLA might be in order. Teleport would be good eanough i think.

I think you meant greater teleport. :)

We can give it a bunch of utility SLAs for divination (e.g. greater arcane sight, analyze dweomer, true seeing, discern location, vision or legend lore, prying eyes or greater prying eyes, or maybe even foresight), plus counter-magic powers (like screen, nondetection, dimensional anchor and/or dimensional lock, greater dispel magic or even mage's disjunction).

Those won't impact directly on its combat abilities that much, but will offer protection against some standard PC "cheat codes" and they fit a creature of "eldritch secrets".

I thought about adding globe of invulnerability, but I think its "spell reflection" ought to be enough, as we can give it an effectiveness boost over standard spell turning.

Nookie

Explorer
Sure those all sound good to me. What about some evil spells? Unholy Blight Protection with good. Just staples that most powerful demons have.

Cleon

Legend
Sure those all sound good to me. What about some evil spells? Unholy Blight Protection with good. Just staples that most powerful demons have.

Well I'd rather leave off giving it offensive spells, at least for the time being, since it has none in the original.

I could see giving it unholy aura or magic circle against good though.

How about unhallow?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
A unique obyrith (without demon lord status) is pretty good, though I believe those also turn you insane if you look at them. Is it reasonable to add that?

I will have to go through those SLA suggestions later.

Cleon

Legend
A unique obyrith (without demon lord status) is pretty good, though I believe those also turn you insane if you look at them. Is it reasonable to add that?

Form of Madness is a standard trait for Obyriths so, yes, it probably would risk driving PCs mad.

Not just by looking at it, either. Form of Madness can be transmitted through any sense, so the PCs can go mad hearing or tasting an Obyrith.

I will have to go through those SLA suggestions later.

Take your time!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, Cleon's SLA suggestions (including greater teleport) look pretty good to me, though we might want to limit the number of uses for the more powerful ones.

But let's deal with the basics first. First off: make it an obyrith? The thing about Form of Madness is that I'm not sure there's justification in the original monster for that, in which case we're left with a generic fiend. Still, if you both like it, who am I to party-poop? ;)

Remove ads