• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Epic Level Creatures

Cleon

Legend
Anyway, now I'm awake again, I think I'd vote against life-drinking abilities (cribbed from the greataxe) unless we make him tomb-tainted or something. Don't want to give him negative levels unless they benefit him. ;) I like making it a mace of terror and giving it the ability to use blacklight at will.

Its energy draining mace is one of the few offensive powers we have from the original monster description, so I think we should keep it.

It'll be easy enough to say it doesn't do negative energy damage to its master.

I do agree that there needs to be something to stop PCs from knocking him off and then getting an overpowered weapon, whatever mechanic we use.

Should be easy enough just say it is "merely an X" in the hands of anyone else, and then add a few nasty side effects (maybe it energy drains and terrors anyone who wields it who isn't its master every round, while exuding blacklight that its thief can't see through but doesn't hinder the senses of hostile undead and enemy aberrations - that should be enough to discourage them from using it!)

Also, the fact that it's scaled for something Gargantuan-sized could be a bit awkward.

Nookie

Explorer
Its energy draining mace is one of the few offensive powers we have from the original monster description, so I think we should keep it.

It'll be easy enough to say it doesn't do negative energy damage to its master.

Should be easy enough just say it is "merely an X" in the hands of anyone else, and then add a few nasty side effects (maybe it energy drains and terrors anyone who wields it who isn't its master every round, while exuding blacklight that its thief can't see through but doesn't hinder the senses of hostile undead and enemy aberrations - that should be enough to discourage them from using it!)

Also, the fact that it's scaled for something Gargantuan-sized could be a bit awkward.

Yeah it keeps its powers but uses them on the weilder. Maybe It would do these things to ythog-nthlei as well but we could make himm immune to those 3 things. it thematicaly fits.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah it keeps its powers but uses them on the weilder. Maybe It would do these things to ythog-nthlei as well but we could make himm immune to those 3 things. it thematicaly fits.

So you fancy adding immunity to negative energy and blacklight to Ythog-Nthlei? If you start on that path we'd end up giving him a bunch of other immunities appropriate to an epic level threat, like immunity to stun, transformation attacks, death effects and so on, even though there is no mention of such in the original.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like the mace to drain opponents, but I don't want it to drain Ythog-Nthlei. It seems to be that giving him immunity to these effects is probably reasonable. We are converting him as epic, and there's some leeway when the original stats are as sparse as his are.

Nookie

Explorer
I like the mace to drain opponents, but I don't want it to drain Ythog-Nthlei. It seems to be that giving him immunity to these effects is probably reasonable. We are converting him as epic, and there's some leeway when the original stats are as sparse as his are.

what freyar said :D

Nookie

Explorer
Cerberus:

Special Qualities: damage reduction 10/epic, darkvision 120 ft, , immunity to mind-affecting effects, keen senses, petrification, and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10, scent, spell resistance 27

Throw Negitive energy fear insanity and darkness on the list and i think we may have something.

Cleon

Legend
Cerberus:

Special Qualities: damage reduction 10/epic, darkvision 120 ft, , immunity to mind-affecting effects, keen senses, petrification, and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10, scent, spell resistance 27

Throw Negitive energy fear insanity and darkness on the list and i think we may have something.

I was thinking of something a bit more meaty than that for the immunities, such as a trimmed down version of the Draeden's:

Immunities: A draeden is immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack that alters its form. Any shape-altering powers the draeden might have work normally on itself. It is immune to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). They cannot be affected by effects that imprison or banish them. Such effects include banishment, binding, dimensional anchor, dismissal, imprisonment, repulsion, soul bind, temporal stasis, trap the soul, and turning and rebuking.

A draeden is not subject to energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage, disease and poison, stunning, sleep, paralysis, and death effects. A draeden is also immune to damage from electricity, cold, acid, and disintegration.

Remove ads