Converting Epic Level Creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm reading
Cleon said:
2nd – continual flame, detect thoughts, eagle's splendor, fox's cunning, owl’s wisdom, protection from arrows, see invisibility, Tasha’s hideous laughter;
Can you tell me where I've missed summon swarm? It seemed to get bumped in favor of having all three mental ability buffs. How about put in summon swarm for protection from arrows?

Cleon

Legend
I'm reading

Can you tell me where I've missed summon swarm? It seemed to get bumped in favor of having all three mental ability buffs. How about put in summon swarm for protection from arrows?

I don't like summon swarm for him. It doesn't really do anything useful for an epic level creature.

freyar

I'm not sure protection from arrows does much either... If you want an abjuration, how about obscure object? That seems thematically appropriate.

4th level spells from Prometheus look ok. At 5th level, we should remove dream, since Andromidus can cast it spontaneously. Does either telekinesis or interposing hand seem good to you?

Cleon

Legend
I'm not sure protection from arrows does much either... If you want an abjuration, how about obscure object? That seems thematically appropriate.

What do you mean, I'm sure he gets attacked by epic missile weapons that aren't also magic ALL THE TIME! ;)

Sure, obscure object works. Let's just use that and carry on.

That gives us:

0read magic, detect magic, mending, prestidigitation;
1stburning hands, feather fall, hypnotism, identify, magic missile (x2), obscuring mist, ray of enfeeblement;
2ndcontinual flame, detect thoughts, eagle's splendor, fox's cunning, owl’s wisdom, protection from arrows, see invisibility, Tasha’s hideous laughter;
3rd – blink, clairaudience/clairvoyance, deep slumber, gaseous form, magic circle against evil, nondetection, tongues;

4th level spells from Prometheus look ok. At 5th level, we should remove dream, since Andromidus can cast it spontaneously. Does either telekinesis or interposing hand seem good to you?

Hmm, fire shield doesn't feel quite right to me. He doesn't have Prometheus's mythical association with fire. Maybe replace it with resilient sphere?

For the 5th level spell, how about sending? That's a good match to the dream it's replacing and has a couple of useful differences - it can communicate to other planes and the messenger isn't helpless.

freyar

I'll go for resilient sphere at 4th level and sending at 5th.

At 6th level, we should replace mislead and add one more. Mass suggestion and analyze dweomer, maybe?

We also need one at 7th level. How about spell turning?

Cleon

Legend
I'll go for resilient sphere at 4th level and sending at 5th.

Seems we're agreed.

At 6th level, we should replace mislead and add one more. Mass suggestion and analyze dweomer, maybe?

How about symbol of persuasion instead of mass suggestion?

We also need one at 7th level. How about spell turning?

Haven't we already got spell turning? It's on Prometheus's list. Maybe forcecage?

freyar

Oops, how did I miss that? I thought about forcecage, so that would be ok. I'm also ok with symbol of persuasion but had generally been avoiding costly material components.

Cleon

Legend
Oops, how did I miss that? I thought about forcecage, so that would be ok. I'm also ok with symbol of persuasion but had generally been avoiding costly material components.

Can't he just use his transmutation power to make the material components? It doesn't have a gp limit, although it probably should have!

freyar

Hmmm, I guess he could, unless that counts as personal gain, in which case he refuses to use his transmutation according to the original text. Anyway, I can go with the symbol if you like.

Wait, I just realized something. Andromidus and Prometheus should have the same number of 7th level spells, right? And you seem to have given Andromidus 10th level spell slots. That would seem to require a lot of Improved Spell Capacity feats that we haven't assigned yet (right?). I think we need to check those numbers...

Remove ads