• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting First Edition monsters from DRAGON magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
that's how lizardfolk have it, so i copied it. ;)

Fair enough!

I'm thinking the alcor needs a high Dex, maybe around the 18-19 range, and a significant racial bonus to Balance checks (probably +8).

Oh, and I've got a request for a future critter: the Dyll from Dragon #55. This thing was a swarm before swarms were a subtype. Way ahead of its time!

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
are you sure that Dex isn't a little high? maybe something in the 15-16 range would be more suitable.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
ok, but i do beleive qstor asked for the duleep/living web first. :)

I'm in no hurry. We have plenty of monsters to convert. :D

BOZ said:
are you sure that Dex isn't a little high? maybe something in the 15-16 range would be more suitable.

I'm cool with 15-16. I was thinking since the thing relies so much on balance, it would need a good Dex. But 15-16 ain't bad. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
keep in mind, it would have skill ranks, a Dex bonus of 2 or 3, and whatever extra bonus we want to give it. :) i think i'll land it with a Dex of 15, which should be more than enough. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
keep in mind, it would have skill ranks, a Dex bonus of 2 or 3, and whatever extra bonus we want to give it. :) i think i'll land it with a Dex of 15, which should be more than enough. :)

Cool. But give it a 40 Strength. :rolleyes:

(An alcor is standing behind me, and he's of the weapon-wielding variety).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
:D

seriously, should we change the Str 13 and Con 13 of the lizardfolk, or is that just fine for the alcor too?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think that we can get by with the lizardman's Str and Con.

I've noticed a serious problem with arctic creatures lately...most of them say that they've adapted to arctic climates, but have nothing to show for it. Therefore, they still have to make the same Fort saves against extreme cold temperatures as a desert-dwelling critter would if he vacationed to the cold lands.

Sometimes these critters don't really need cold immunity or resistance to cold 5, but they definitely need something. I'd suggest the following:

Arctic Adaptation (Ex): An alcor does not need to make Fortitude saves to avoid taking nonlethal damage in conditions between 40 degrees and -20 degrees. In conditions of extreme cold (below -20 degrees) they must Fortitude saves like any other creature, but gain a +4 racial bonus on this save.

Whaddya think?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i like it! i'll add that in...

OK, let’s break this guy down a bit. ;)

The alcor is a distant relative of the lizard man that has adapted itself to life in a frigid climate.

not sure if we should use “any cold land” or limit it to hills and mountains to give its skiing full effect.

It has earned the nickname “the skier” because of the mode of travel it frequently uses. By balancing itself on its large, flat tail, the alcor can glide across snow and ice (downhill only; no self-propulsion is involved) at a 24” movement rate. It can also move fairly quickly on its legs, but generally only uses this form of locomotion for short distances or if traversing flat or rising terrain.

I’ll see what to do about this. Shade said earlier “For the skiing ability--According to the A&EG, skis allow full movement across snow and icy surfaces but cannot be used at all on any other terrain. Downhill speed can be as a run (x4) on slight grades or as a run (x5) on severe grades.” I have them at being able to ski at 60 feet/round, but x4 is even better. ;) I do think there should be an entry in the Combat section, as not every has the A&EG to reference. :)

The alcor is carnivorous and primarily concerned with obtaining food. However, a few groups (10% chance for each small band encountered) are composed of relatively intelligent specimens that have learned to fashion crude weapons. These alcors carry small darts and javelins fashioned from sharp stones and wood (doing 1-3 and 1-6 hp damage respectively) for use as missile weapons. The more intelligent sorts will also carry spears for use in close combat. When charging to attack using its skiing movement, the alcor has a +2 bonus to hit and does double damage with the spear. When the charge is complete, the creature will usually drop its weapon and engage its opponent with its claws.

what I may do is put weapon attacks in the stat block, and simply add some flavor text about tribes that don’t use weapons. I believe there is a standard charge action in the game now, but should I add anything relating to it using a spear to charge down a mountain or something?

The alcor’s razor-sharp claws do 1-3 hp damage per hit, and it can bite for 1-4 hp damage. These attacks may be used against a single foe or divided between two targets in a round. The creature can also attack with its tail (when not skiing) at the rate of one tail-slap every two rounds. A strike by the tail does 3-12 hp damage, and a target hit by the tail must save versus petrification or be knocked down. Opponents of size S have a -4 penalty to this saving throw, and those of size L receive a bonus of +5. A target that is knocked down forfeits any attack(s) it would otherwise have been entitled to in the remainder of the current round, and also cannot attack during the following round while it regains its feet. All attacks against a target that has been knocked down are made at +4 to the attacker’s chance “to hit.”
If an alcor chooses to attack with its tail, it cannot use claw or bite attacks in the same round. If it knocks down an opponent, it will attack that foe in preference to any others during the following round.

again, I believe there is some kind of standard knockdown action that would probably work here as well. What I need to know is if there should be a special bonus to some other kind of notation in the combat text.

The two types of alcors will never be found in the same group or in the same lair, but if weapon-users and the less intelligent variety are somehow brought together they will work in concert against a common enemy, thereafter going their separate ways again.

flavor text. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
not sure if we should use “any cold land” or limit it to hills and mountains to give its skiing full effect.

Cold hills and mountains.

BOZ said:
I do think there should be an entry in the Combat section, as not every has the A&EG to reference. :)

Agreed.

BOZ said:
what I may do is put weapon attacks in the stat block, and simply add some flavor text about tribes that don’t use weapons. I believe there is a standard charge action in the game now, but should I add anything relating to it using a spear to charge down a mountain or something?

I'd add that alcor's deal double damage with a spear on a charge, since spears don't normally grant this ability (only lances do, I believe).

BOZ said:
again, I believe there is some kind of standard knockdown action that would probably work here as well. What I need to know is if there should be a special bonus to some other kind of notation in the combat text.

I though there was one as well, but can't seem to find a monster with one. The closest I find are trample and improved overrun. The Knock Down feat from Sword & Fist might give us a better mechanic to work with:

"Whenever you deal 10 or more points of damage to your opponent in melee with a single attack, you may make a trip attack as a free action against the same target. Use of this feat cannot be combined with Improved Trip to generate an extra attack, and successful use of this feat does not grant an extra attack through the Cleave or Great Cleave feats."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads