Converting First Edition monsters from DRAGON magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i knew someone would make that joke sooner or later - thanks for not disappointing! :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
also for skills, don't forget that most of these guys would have been rogues or assassins in life.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
also for skills, don't forget that most of these guys would have been rogues or assassins in life.

Good point. This should really be a template...there aren't too many 4th-level assassins roaming around these days. Plus, then we could make the sample monster Parappa the Rapper. :D

OK, try these skills instead:

Hide +7, Jump +5, Search +5, Spot +4, Tumble +7.

I skipped the usual Listen and Move Silently, since they are usually busy rapping while they work.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i'll work on this guy if i can find some time today; next creature will be the ghuuna, a gnoll shapeshifter. :)

the Jester

Legend
Lookin' good! I remember these guys from one of the first two Dragons I owned! :D :D

One minor quibble- a round was a minute in 1e, so a turn was ten minutes long.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hold on... a round was a minute? so in 60 seconds of action i could only take one action? that doesn't sound right. IIRC it wasn't even that way in 2E.

and BTW, this doesn't affect the conversion in any way, because the item i was mentioning it for turned out to be for a 24 hour period anyway. ;)

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
weapon focus, toughness, stonecunning for feats

CR: 3

rapping ability: similar to a confusion spell? or insanity?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, got the final version up. the rapping would affect characters that were vulnerable to confusion or insanity effects, but this effect is a bit different.

ok, you know the drill by now... i need a description! :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
ok, got the final version up. the rapping would affect characters that were vulnerable to confusion or insanity effects, but this effect is a bit different.

ok, you know the drill by now... i need a description! :)

It looks good! Here's a stab at the description:

The source of the tapping appears to be a dwarf, pale-skinned and semi-translucent. It wears filthy rags, covered in dust, and carries a well-worn heavy pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads