• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Cleon

Legend
For some reason, I keep thinking the transformed ones are the force blast ones, but that must just be in my head. ;)

Well, ok, let's just insert "Wingless Wonders" in the above Realms text.

Either "Wingless Wonders" or "Alkadas" works for me.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
In the Realms
Tarsardar serve Azuth and Mystra, often grudgingly. They will obey the two gods and their Chosen, but they ignore their Magister and priests. Tarsardar also enjoy twisting Mystra's and Azuth's doctrines as much as they can get away with, but the gods take notice and, at times, punish these wayward servants. Tarsardar that misbehave so much as to change alignment often find themselves transformed into other creatures, including Wingless Wonders.

Cleon

Legend
In the Realms
Tarsardar serve Azuth and Mystra, often grudgingly. They will obey the two gods and their Chosen, but they ignore their Magister and priests. Tarsardar also enjoy twisting Mystra's and Azuth's doctrines as much as they can get away with, but the gods take notice and, at times, punish these wayward servants. Tarsardar that misbehave so much as to change alignment often find themselves transformed into other creatures, including Wingless Wonders.

Hmm, upon reflection we could trim that down a bit. There's also a bunch of stuff in the following we can stick in the general info.

We should draw from this:

Tarsardar do obey Azuth and Mystra and their Chosen, but tend to ignore the authority of the current Magister and all clergy of the deities of magic, and to follow the letter and not the spirit of dictates and strictures of Mystra, Azuth, and the Chosen when those beings are not actually present. Many tarsardar have been destroyed for disobedience, or forcibly and permanently transformed into wingless wonders, common mules, and other creatures (sometimes even those suitable for use as familiars). When such destruction occurs (at the hands of Azuth or Mystra), the tarsardar can be viewed as having shifted alignment, losing the lawful (and perhaps the neutral) facet of their nature.

Tarsardar never willingly fight each other, even by means of items they animate. Rival mortals who attack each other with items that are inhabited by tarsardar will usually discover that such items suddenly become inert, all powers simply refusing to activate.

How about...

A glowing ghostlike figure glides through the air. Its shape constantly flows and changes, but includes the vague outline of a humanoid head and shoulders.

A tarsardar is an incorporeal creature formed from the spirit of a deceased mortal spellcaster. They are created by a god or power of magic to serve its interests on the Prime Material Plane. Tarsardars have the exotic ability to possess and animate any magic item.

A tarsardar retains the personality and memory it had in life. It follows the dictates of whichever deity created it, but tends to obey the letter rather than the spirit of its duties when not in the presence of a godlike master. Tarsardars created by the same deity never willingly fight each other. A tarsardar possessing a magic item renders the item inert if its owner attempts to use it against another tarsardar or a tarsardar-possessed magic item.

A tarsardar is 5 to 6 feet tall and is weightless. It can speak whatever languages it knew in life in a whispering voice, and can also communicate telepathically with any other creature it touches.

In the Realms
Tarsardar serve Mystra by trying to increase the use and allure of magic. They obey the golds Mystra, Azuth, and their Chosen, but tend to ignore their Magister and priests. Some tarsardar enjoy twisting Mystra and Azuth's doctrines, but the gods take notice and, at times, punish these wayward servants. Disobedient tarsardar are destroyed, or permanently transformed into a shameful creature such as a mule, toad or Wingless Wonder.

That last bit reminds me, have we given it "touch telepathy" yet.

Hmm, checking the Working Draft it seems we haven't. Just adding telepathy (touch range) to the Special Qualities ought to cover it.

Oh, and we don't seem to have a number for the Spell Resistance X yet.

freyar

I'll agree to that text and the telepathy.

SR would seem to be between 17 and 23 (depending on whether we are basing it on 66% resistance for a level 4 or level 10 caster). I guess I'd go somewhere in the middle, like SR 20, but I'm open to suggestions.

Cleon

Legend
I'll agree to that text and the telepathy.

SR would seem to be between 17 and 23 (depending on whether we are basing it on 66% resistance for a level 4 or level 10 caster). I guess I'd go somewhere in the middle, like SR 20, but I'm open to suggestions.

SR 20 seems a nice round number, so I'll update the Working Draft with that.

That just leaves coming up with a tactics entry and we're done.

freyar

Tarsardar animate the most powerful magic item they can find, and they are often content to lie in hiding for long periods of time, sometimes even masquerading as intelligent items. Tarsardar will use their power touch if necessary, but they prefer to use the abilities of the items they inhabit.

Cleon

Legend
Tarsardar animate the most powerful magic item they can find, and they are often content to lie in hiding for long periods of time, sometimes even masquerading as intelligent items. Tarsardar will use their power touch if necessary, but they prefer to use the abilities of the items they inhabit.

Wouldn't most of the first sentence be better in background info, rather than tactics?

e.g.:

A tarsardar retains the personality and memory it had in life. It follows the dictates of whichever deity created it, but tends to obey the letter rather than the spirit of its duties when not in the presence of a godlike master. Tarsardars created by the same deity never willingly fight each other. A tarsardar possessing a magic item renders the item inert if its owner attempts to use it against another tarsardar or a tarsardar-possessed magic item.

Tarsardar sometimes masquerade as intelligent magic items, but are often content to lie in hiding for long periods of time. Many are curious about magical phenomena and will move to investigate unusual magic, leading to an erroneous belief they somehow feed off magic.

A tarsardar is 5 to 6 feet tall and is weightless. It can speak whatever languages it knew in life in a whispering voice, and can also communicate telepathically with any other creature it touches.

COMBAT

A tarsardar will inhabit the most powerful magic item it can gain access too. Tarsardar prefer to fight using the abilities of animated magic items, but use their power touch if necessary.

Remove ads