Converting from Rifts to D20

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Has anyone tried? I would like to convert somethings from Rifts and other Palladium products to d20. ability stats should not be too hard but MDC and SDC could pose a few problems.

I guess I should ask if there is a thread for this. I haven't seen one.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I just saw that on the net. I'm not really asking for copyright infringement am I? Honestly I just wanted to convert something a friend had for his Palladium game to d20 that he created. I'm being lazy and asking for help from some that may have done it already.

Particle_Man

Explorer
The best idea is to use a ruleset that takes "concepts" and then slaps numbers on them. Then you can try out the "concept" of each of the various o.c.c.'s and r.c.c.'s.

Mutants and Masterminds is rather good at this, and has the advantage of trying to balance things out (a powerful character classes would take more "points" to build, and thus you give more "points" to other players that play less powerful character classes to spend on other things). Savage Worlds might work too, but I think enough of the rifts stuff is weird that M&M is the way to go (maybe wait for 2nd edition M&M though).

Note: You will likely have to give up on Megadamage.

d20 Apocalypse just came out, WotC's quiet nod to RIFTS d20 players (among other things), with some neat stuff for a RIFTS type game using d20 Modern (which is the core engine I've seen used most often, over normal d20).

The d20/Rifts conversions I have seen have worked roughly like this (and I've seen two different campaigns by two different GM's with independently created conversions):

Start with d20 Modern, use Urban Arcana for some of the technology rules and some of the expanded magic rules and low-tech/fantasy crossover stuff. d20 Future is your friend with regard to mutations, mecha/power armor, and uber-weapons. d20 Apocalypse appears to have a fair amount of useful stuff too. The Menace Manual has a lot of creatures and some equipment that would probably be useful (including interdimensional stuff).

A lot of Rifts staples are things available in d20 Modern/Future with different flavor text and roleplaying. Mechanically, a Juicer could have the Maniac template (d20 Menace Manual) and the Dreadnought and Helix Warrior advanced classes (d20 Future). A Glitter Boy suit is just normal mecha with a big gun and a special Damage Reduction against laser weapons, Crazies can be simultated with the mutations and cybernetics systems.

I've known of some people who have written up custom advanced and prestige classes, and conversions of some races ect, but I think Kevin Sembieda would launch his Tactical Nuclear Lawyers if I posted them, but it's been done.

Turanil

First Post
A few months ago there indeed was a whole thread about "RIFTS and d20". It was said that RIFTS is a bad set of rules, that Siembenda would not allow any stuff based on it being published or distributed, and that you could just use d20 rules to remake something in the Spirit of RIFTS, but different and playable.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Aeson, drop me an email. I have a couple of conversions that I've DLed. Not sure if they are still hosted on the net, as Palladium does not want them floating around.

Frukathka [at] yahoo [dot] com

Felon

First Post
This topic crops up all the time at ENWorld, especially on the d20 forum (which is where this thread probably belongs). Usually, any productive efforts are undermined by folks whose idea of a contribution is telling you how much something can't possibly work (this goes double for the topic of a D20 Shadowrun).

But it is a fair question to ask what you're trying to get out of a D20 modern exactly. Things like mega-damage obviously don't carry over too well (heck, MDC doesn't work that well in Palladium). The rules for cybernetics, power-armor, energy weapons, robots, vehicles, mutations, and most other traits of RIFTS have been covered in D20 products. What's left to do? Convert OCC's to classes?

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Well it is a race my friend created. I'm still trying to pry the stats away from him. These things are a second more liked child for him. They are natural MDC and I had some trouble deciding on hit points for them. They also have some strengths (insanely tough and strong, resistances)and weaknesses(Low Will). Perhaps I posted a little too soon. I wanted to get a head start for when I finally broke his will.

I would like to make them useable in D20 future and Dragonstar.

I'm not too familiar with d20 modern and future. DR and SR are still available right? What is the highest you've seen on a creature?

Sorry Felon, I should have looked harder for a more appropriate area.

Frukathka, I'm sending an email. Anything should help

Remove ads