• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting from Rifts to D20

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Your best bet on MDC is to make it some kind of DR, coupled with some insane level of regen. However, the creature should still have weaknesses. See the Tarrasque- its the closest thing there is to an MDC creature in D20.

yennico

First Post
Aeson said:
Well it is a race my friend created. I'm still trying to pry the stats away from him. These things are a second more liked child for him. They are natural MDC and I had some trouble deciding on hit points for them. They also have some strengths (insanely tough and strong, resistances)and weaknesses(Low Will).
If the race has many advantages (high str, high con and high resistances) you can convert this to D20 but for which purpose. A race with these advantages has a (very) high LA and the player can not play this race in a normal adventure party.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Turanil said:
A few months ago there indeed was a whole thread about "RIFTS and d20". It was said that RIFTS is a bad set of rules, that Siembenda would not allow any stuff based on it being published or distributed, and that you could just use d20 rules to remake something in the Spirit of RIFTS, but different and playable.

Give us a link to the thread?

Particle_Man

Explorer
yennico said:
If the race has many advantages (high str, high con and high resistances) you can convert this to D20 but for which purpose. A race with these advantages has a (very) high LA and the player can not play this race in a normal adventure party.

I would assume that this would be an "epic style" adventure party, if one is using the more high end Rifts creatures. Intra-party balance was a problem between the original classes within the Rifts game, but one that ECL in d20ish games can solve. For instance, one could make an "epic city rat" by having a high enough level character to match the ECL of a "glitter boy" and then the party would be on the same page.

Infernal Teddy said:
Give us a link to the thread?
There have been a number of Rifts/d20 Conversion threads, here are a few:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115987 (What game system do you play Rifts with?)
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124612 (Why is Palladium so anti-d20?)
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88352 (Rifts d20?)

My two cents on some actual mechanical conversion issues:

The effect that megadamage is trying to model can properly be mimiced in d20 with Damage Reduction and Hardness. DR 15/Magic is probably a good place to start: nigh immune to mundane weapons, but big guns, magic and high tech will still wear you down.

Juicer is probably best as an initial template, with an AdC that builds on it. Maniac template from Menace Manual and the Dreadnought AdC from d20 Future are probably good substitutes until you come up with something specific.

There is probably enough raw "Crunch" between d20 Modern/Past/Future/Apocalypse, the Menace Manual, Urban Arcana and Weapons Locker (not to mention popular 3rd party books like the Modern Players Companion) to do just about everything you want for a RIFTS game, if you're willing to change the flavor text on some things (and occasionally import from D&D).

You should probably set the MDT back to 50, given how big some things in RIFTS get, and how big the damage is thrown around, MDT=50 is for higher power games, which this defnitely is.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
yennico said:

They are meant to be NPC creatures. They are insanely powerful. A chalenge for high level PCs.

qstor

Adventurer
Any tips on the ley line walker class abilities and how to handle them in d20? I picked up d20 modern Apcolypse (sp?) over the weekend and it got me thinking of this thread.

thanks

Mike

twofalls

DM Beadle
I've not converted RIFTS to D20, but I did convert it to GURPs, and its posted it on an obscure web page specifically for my group to access for our campaign. I don't share the page with others specifically because of Crazy Kevin. Going after your players for doing creative things with your game is just insane. Palladium is slowly sinking, and there is some evidence that the much hyped movie deal is going to fall through with Disney... which is too bad as the finaincal shot in the arm just might save the company. But my information is second or third hand, so I can't vouch for its accuracy. All I can say with certainty is that Kevin's policies drove me away from his company as a customer.

Lost Knowledge

First Post
Back in the 90s there was a excellent program that converted seven different systems (DND, pladium, gurps, shadowrun, wod, DC, and marvel. Of course it was killed by K.S. and I never saw one for the newer editions. Most conversations are actual simple and GURPS is a great tool to have.

Remove ads