Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
This one will be a bit challenging, since "time" rules aren't very commonplace in 3e, and the Temporal Energy Plane isn't open content. We may have to genericize it quite a bit, and use an underbar for those with Manual of the Planes.

Well, we could have them restricted to a different plane, they could be "Astral Stalkers", the remains of astrally projected mages that have somehow survived having their silver cords cut, and are denied a place in the afterlife since they can't leave the Astral Plane.

Apart from the paradox SA, they look like an easy conversion - take a wight, give it Spell Resistance and increase its speed and Intelligence (Int 18, with some skills a Wizard would know, like Spellcraft).

Also, their misty body makes me think they're either incorporeal, or can assume a gaseous form.

EDIT: Of the above two options, I far prefer the Incorporeal subtype.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I haven't been able to locate Chronomancer, but a Google search seems to indicate that the paradox spell allows the caster to alter a minor past action, such as preparing a different spell for the day, bringing different equipment along, etc.

A minor paradox seems limited to an event that transpired it the last few rounds, and a major paradox goes back a year. Paradox goes back a month.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ugh, I get the feeling that paradox may be a big pain to write. Should we stick to the minor paradox for simplicity?

Cleon's suggestion of "astral stalkers" could just work, though it's not as thematically tied to the paradox ability.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Indeed. And I'd rather keep them "temporal stalkers". They can still deal with time, even if there isn't a core "time plane". Demiplanes can always exist to cover any unusual planes we might need.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Demiplane it is.

So the question remaining is what to do with paradox. Do we limit it to events of the past day?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think that's a good idea.

Something like this?

Paradox (Su): Instead of using its energy drain, a temporal stalker may choose to instead alter one aspect of the victim's past made within the last 24 hours. For example, the stalker could swap out one of a wizard or cleric's prepared spells for one less useful in the current battle. Or it could have the victim choose to bring along a flask of acid rather than a vial of holy water. A successful DC X Will? (Fortitude?) save negates this effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So incorporeal, extraplanar undead?

AC 17 would result from a combination of Dex and Cha.

Int is Genius (18).

Wraiths and spectres both have Str —, Dex 16, Con —, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15

So maybe Str —, Dex 16, Con —, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads