Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Just thinking about paradox: maybe we should state that it can't be used to deal direct hp damage (ie, changing whether they got hit once more in a previous fight). Or should we let it do that?

Create spawn should only work when the character is killed by energy drain (per original text).

They need planar commitment, like petitioners.

Cleon

Legend
I think that's a good idea.

Something like this?

Paradox (Su): Instead of using its energy drain, a temporal stalker may choose to instead alter one aspect of the victim's past made within the last 24 hours. For example, the stalker could swap out one of a wizard or cleric's prepared spells for one less useful in the current battle. Or it could have the victim choose to bring along a flask of acid rather than a vial of holy water. A successful DC X Will? (Fortitude?) save negates this effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Does the original spell even have a saving throw? I have a suspicion it would be like the old version of alter reality, limited wish or temporal status which, if I recall correctly, were Spell Resistance only.

That said, I guess Will is the most appropriate saving throw, assuming the power has one.

Cleon

Legend
Just thinking about paradox: maybe we should state that it can't be used to deal direct hp damage (ie, changing whether they got hit once more in a previous fight). Or should we let it do that?

There's a psionic power that does something like that, recall agony.

(Psion/Wilder 2, Medium Range, Will Save for half damage)

The fabric of time parts to your will, revealing wounds your foe has received in the past (or has yet to receive). That foe takes 2d6javascript:void(0); points of damage as the past (or future) impinges briefly on the present.

We could just let it have that as one of its paradox options.

Create spawn should only work when the character is killed by energy drain (per original text).

You beat me to it!

Cleon

Legend
Shall we talk about skills? I think a wraith's skill complement is a good place to start. Wraith's have ranks in Diplomacy, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Search, Sense Motive and Spot, plus Survival at its default level (including a +2 for 5 ranks of Search).

A Wraith has max ranks in Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Search & Spot and splits the remainder between Diplomacy and Sense Motive, with enough in Sense Motive to give it a synergy bonus on Diplomacy.

It seems reasonable to give the Temporal Stalker the same.

A Temporal Stalker has an Intelligence 4 points higher so can have two more maxed-out skills. Since they used to be wizards, Spellcraft and Knowledge (arcana) are obvious picks.

That could give us:
2 Diplomacy, 7 Hide, 7 Intimidate, 7 Knowledge (arcana), 7 Listen, 7 Search, 5 Sense Motive, 7 Spellcraft, 7 Spot
Toss in our provisional ability scores, and it comes out:
Str —, Dex 16, Con —, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 19

Skills: Diplomacy +8, Hide +10, Intimidate +11, Knowledge (arcana) +11, Listen +9, Search +11, Sense Motive +7, Spellcraft +11, Spot +9, Survival +2 (+4 following tracks)
Looks OK to me.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like Cleon's skill suggestions. If we wanted to make them actually use their spellcraft, we could require their paradox feature to make a Spellcraft check to be able to choose what spell the victim prepared instead, otherwise it's random.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like the recall agony -like option for paradox.

I also agree with Cleon's skills.

And I really like demiurge's idea about the Spellcraft check for paradox.

Cleon

Legend
I like Cleon's skill suggestions. If we wanted to make them actually use their spellcraft, we could require their paradox feature to make a Spellcraft check to be able to choose what spell the victim prepared instead, otherwise it's random.

Great idea on the paradox Spellcraft check.

What DC would be appropriate, do you think. Something caster-level based to determine what spells there are to swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads