Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Why not just have the spell-replacement affect 1 spell of level corresponding to whatever DC the Spellcraft check beats?

Swapping two items on the person isn't bad, as it will cost some actions to fix. But I kind of like the teddy bear idea. :D I just don't know a good way to write that up.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Can only swap an item with something else the person owns, at most. Worst-case scenario, the adventurer left his sword in the inn, and took his childhood teddy bear with him instead. Too mean? I can see that turning into a plot hook on its own... but it might be too much. On the person is more annoying than anything else, but is much more balanced.

Agreed.

Why not just have the spell-replacement affect 1 spell of level corresponding to whatever DC the Spellcraft check beats?

That sounds like a good, simple mechanic.

Swapping two items on the person isn't bad, as it will cost some actions to fix. But I kind of like the teddy bear idea. :D I just don't know a good way to write that up.

True. It would almost have to be either random, or the stalker would need detect thoughts to even know what items the character left behind. (Which isn't necessarily out of the question here).

Shade

Monster Junkie
So detect thoughts, and paradox with the following options?

1) "Recall agony"
2) Swap out item for another possessed by the victim (of roughly equal size?)
3) Replace 1 spell of level corresponding to whatever DC the Spellcraft check beats

Shade

Monster Junkie
Attempting to summarize it all...

Paradox (Su): Instead of using its energy drain, a temporal stalker may choose to instead alter one aspect of the victim's past made within the last 24 hours. A successful DC X Will save negates this effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

When using paradox, a temporal stalker may choose one of the following effects:

Recall Agony: The paradox reveals wounds the victim has received in the past. That foe takes 2d6 points of damage as the past impinges briefly on the present.

Spell Swap: The stalker may swap out one of a spellcaster's prepared spells for one less useful in the current battle. To do so, the temporal stalker makes a Spellcraft check opposed by the victim's caster level + 10. For each point by which the stalker beats the DC, it may replace one spell level. Thus, a stalker beating the DC by 7 could replace a single spell of up to 7th-level. Spell swap has no effect on spontaneous casters.

Switch Item: The stalker may alter an single item worn or carried by the victim with another item on its person. Thus, it could swap the vial of holy water its victim holds with a flask of acid from its backpack, or replace its drawn magic longsword with a fork from its mess kit. The replaced item always returns to the most logical place on the victim (a weapon back to its sheath, tools back to a backpack, spell components back to a pouch, etc.)

I also propose we add a fourth option for dealing with spontaneous spellcasters, the ability to swap out an ongoing spell effect with another in its arsenal. Thus, shield could be replaced with protection from energy, or bull's strength with owl's wisdom, for example.

freyar

Swapping ongoing spell effects seems like a good idea. This should also work on buffs like bardic music (changing the kind of music effect, etc).

I didn't think that's how we were going to do the Spellcraft DC, but it may work. The way it's written, it will on average be able to swap out 7 spell levels, assuming max ranks and CR 4. Is that ok?

Cleon

Legend
Swapping ongoing spell effects seems like a good idea. This should also work on buffs like bardic music (changing the kind of music effect, etc).

I didn't think that's how we were going to do the Spellcraft DC, but it may work. The way it's written, it will on average be able to swap out 7 spell levels, assuming max ranks and CR 4. Is that ok?

If anything, it may be too weak. If it just drained a caster level instead it would remove at least one of the target's highest level spells, plus some lower level stuff. Plus, the energy drain has no save, while the Paradox needs a failed save and a skill check to work.

I like the principle though. Maybe have it have no save (like an energy drain), just a Spellcraft check to see what level spell it gets to choose to swap, and if it misses the check the target has a single spell swapped at random?

Hmm, we could make Paradox a ranged attack. That would give it a reason to use it instead of just energy-draining.

freyar

I did think it seemed a little weak, too. I had been thinking the DC should just be 10+spell level to swap out a given spell, and it can swap out one spell of whatever level it beats.

Making it ranged is a nice idea, and it kind of makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads