Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Great ideas!

Updated with Cleon's skill suggestions and freyar's planar commitment.

For the Spellcraft check, maybe 10+spell level vs. each of the known spells?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
10+spell level works for me. Shall we put in the text about the damage, maybe up to 1d8+Cha damage (or up to 2d6) following Cleon's suggestion?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sure! Rather than leaving the ability wide open, should we just list several possible applications, including the "recall agony"-like effect and the "rememorize spell" effect?

Cleon

Legend
Great ideas!

Updated with Cleon's skill suggestions and freyar's planar commitment.

For the Spellcraft check, maybe 10+spell level vs. each of the known spells?

Are you suggesting the DM rolls Spellcraft checks against every spell the target knows? If so, I think a caster level check or an X+caster level DC is a much more practical idea!

Cleon

Legend
Sure! Rather than leaving the ability wide open, should we just list several possible applications, including the "recall agony"-like effect and the "rememorize spell" effect?

I was going to go for a range of options - level drain or recall agony or swap spell.

Oh, and I like the idea of adding its Charisma bonus to a 2d6 base for its recall agony damage.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like the idea of splitting up paradox. Recall agony, switch spell and swap equipment? For the equipment, considering how permanent it is, we might consider either dropping that ability or making the gp value of the item pretty low (and equal to the gp value of the item swapped). Imagine it using that ability to swap out a fighter's +3 longsword for, say, a wooden table leg, with no way for that fighter to ever get that weapon back.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The switch spell should only affect one spell the creature knows (of the highest level it can cast?) or one spell per spell level known. Definitely not the entire spell-list.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Are you suggesting the DM rolls Spellcraft checks against every spell the target knows? If so, I think a caster level check or an X+caster level DC is a much more practical idea!

Yeah, like a targeted dispel magic (you have to check against each active spell). It is probably too fiddly, though.

Agreed on the item value, too. Perhaps they can only swap an item in hand with one stashed somewhere on the individual? That way that can't use it to destroy an important item.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Can only swap an item with something else the person owns, at most. Worst-case scenario, the adventurer left his sword in the inn, and took his childhood teddy bear with him instead. Too mean? I can see that turning into a plot hook on its own... but it might be too much. On the person is more annoying than anything else, but is much more balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads