Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Progeny: Str 4, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2

To make up for the lower Str, we could up the damage die or give it Improved Natural Attack.

hmm, but with a Strength dip like that, the damage is going to take a hard hit. We had a range of 3-6 damage per hit before. A Str 4 gives it a ?3 to damage. You?d have to have a damage die of say 2d4 to even come close to the original with such a penalty, and even then it would be weak.

Shade said:
Apodalypse: Str 31, Dex 13, Con 21, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 14

now that certainly is more to my liking. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
No problem. I wouldn't raise the Str over 10, though, as it is Tiny. ;)

true. :) but there is always supernatural strength to account for. :) I’ll raise it to 8 then – still a damage penalty, but at least it’s not such a big one. 1d8 or 2d4 for the damage die? (or does it not matter, since there is a penalty?)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good point. Taking that into consideration, I checked out the imp and quasit, and they are both Tiny and have Str scores of 10 and 8, respectively.

So if you want to keep it at 10, go for it! :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, 10 it is. :) I’m making the bite 2d4, that way it never does less than 2 damage.

Updating in homebrews!

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, as threatened, I came up with flavor text for this bad boy. :)

This appears to be a wasp nest hanging from the ceiling, though in reality it is more like a tightly coiled snake with squamous flesh. At the end of the snake is an eyeless, shark-like head with a mouth filled with rows of sharp teeth.

An apodalypse progeny is the foul offspring of the evil parent creature. Like an adult apodalypse, this monster is partly undead and partly alive. A progeny can remain in a dormant state for years, even centuries, hanging and waiting for prey.

An apodalypse progeny is about 2 feet long when unfurled and weighs X pounds.

COMBAT
Progeny attack immediately when disturbed by living humanoids. They prefer to drop onto unsuspecting vitctims from above. Once active, a progeny can use its coiled length to leap up to 20 feet through the air, or to swim through water, and deliver a vicious bite.

An apodalypse progeny will try to burrow into flesh, in an attempt to subsume its victim and turn it into a mindless husk of flesh. If a progeny can maintain control over a husk for a full month, it transforms the victim?s body and becomes an adult apodalypse.

This creature from the darkest of nightmares has an unstable form, a patchwork made up of the skin of humanoids with screaming faces and flailing arms, contrasted with fish scales, octopoidal tentacles, and manta wings. This mess surrounds a massive, shark-like maw.

The apodalypse was the horrible result of a foolish experiment combining reanimated shark tissue implanted in living humanoids. The first apodalypse was created using formulae and recipes found in the unholy tome, The Nekton Fragments.

An apodalypse consists of an undead core, sheathed in a husk of still-living flesh that is constantly disintegrating and falling away. This aquatic monstrosity steals the flesh of the living to maintain its form and it?s semi-undead existence. It can spend days unmoving to conserve its stolen flesh before it is forced to go hunting for the living. When prey is plentiful, an apodalypse can release a clutch of progeny, each of which has the potential to grow into a full-fledged apodalypse.

An apodalypse is about 30 feet in diameter and weighs X pounds.

COMBAT
An apodalypse attacks with its savage bite, trying to swallow as many opponents as possible. Creatures that die within an apodalypse have their flesh cannibalized and incorporated into the evil horror. The flesh remains faintly living while it becomes a part of the beast.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
My, that’s a lot of growth in one month! ;) of course, we are talking about getting four size categories larger…

skills & feats? Baby poddy has 6 skill ranks and 2 feats, while big poppa has 16 skills and 5 feats.

The progeny is described as eyeless, so maybe blindsense? It’s not clearly shown, in the text or picture, whether or not an adult apodalypse has eyes – but the faces of creatures it has incorporated into its body face outward, so maybe it can see through them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases