Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Looks pretty good to me. I was going to suggest negative energy for the web from the original text, but it then specified that it was, in fact, cold damage.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Since the web glows green, shouldn't the Spot DC be a little lower than 20 (which is from the normal monstrous spider)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since the web glows green, shouldn't the Spot DC be a little lower than 20 (which is from the normal monstrous spider)?

Good point. 15? Or even 10?

As such, phantom spiders are partially immaterial, and easily fade into the darkness, except when they are arroused, their bodies are suffused with a cold witchlight while their eyes gleam with hellish malice.

Improved bonus on Hide checks when immobile in areas of darkness?

Last edited:

freyar

Let's say a Spot DC of 10. And yes to the improved Hide bonus. Let's maybe remove the Hide bonus from using the web (due to the same lighting reason as before) but give them +8 Hide in darkness (mobile or not).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

HP for webbing?

CR 1? (Same as Medium monstrous spider; the undead immunities seem a tradeoff for loss of bonus hp from Con and vulnerability to turning)

A phantom spider is about 5 feet in diameter and weighs x pounds. (Monstrous spiders have no listed weight; A jungle spider is about seven feet long and weighs about 250 pounds, so maybe 175 to 200 pounds?)

freyar

8 hp, a little better than the Medium spider?
CR 1 is good, and so is suggested weight.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I think we're nearly finished. Shall we add a special advancement section, noting that Dex remains constant, the progression of web hps, and so forth like monstrous spiders?

freyar

We could either do that or do our own wraith spiders and put a note that advanced phantom spiders become wraith spiders. What do you think? Sounds like the CotSQ wraith spiders are duds, so I'd be up for converting those.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We could either do that or do our own wraith spiders and put a note that advanced phantom spiders become wraith spiders. What do you think? Sounds like the CotSQ wraith spiders are duds, so I'd be up for converting those.

The wraith spiders appear to be separate, more powerful creatures (but with similar HD), so I'd say we keep 'em separate (but I'm not opposed to doing our own conversion).

How's this, then?

Advanced Phantom Spiders

When improving phantom spiders by Hit Dice, follow the standard advancement rules with the following exceptions.

First, Dexterity does not decrease with size.

Poison damage increases as follows: Large: 1d8, Huge 2d6, Gargantuan 2d8, Colossal 3d6.

Web hit points increase as follows: Large: 14, Huge 16, Gargantuan 18, Colossal 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads