• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Greyhawk monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Please do. ;) Any other special abilities?

That's probably enough.

Skills: Split Listen and Spot like the standard Otyugh?

For feats, the regular otyutgh has: Alertness, Toughness, Weapon Focus (tentacle)

I loathe Toughness, so would rather not retain that. The other two appeal. That leaves 5 more. Multiattack? Improved Critical (bite)? Power Attack? Stand Still? Improved Initiative?

Cleon

Legend
Any other special abilities?
That's probably enough.

There's no additional abilities mentioned or inferred in the original monster, so I think that'll do.

Hold on, where's its Mimic Horde SQ disappeared too? I'd better add it to the Working Draft.

Skills: Split Listen and Spot like the standard Otyugh?

Actually, the standard Otyugh has an equal split between Hide, Listen and Spot. Doing the same for the Aurotyugh would give it 14 ranks in each.

However, we should give the Aurotyugh Disguise instead of Hide, for its Mimic Horde SQ.

For feats, the regular otyutgh has: Alertness, Toughness, Weapon Focus (tentacle)

I loathe Toughness, so would rather not retain that. The other two appeal. That leaves 5 more. Multiattack? Improved Critical (bite)? Power Attack? Stand Still? Improved Initiative?

My Neo-Otyugh Redux had Alertness, Lightning Reflexes, Shield Proficiency, Weapon Focus (tentacle).

The Shield Proficiency was because it had Wield Foe, but I like the Lightning Reflexes. I'd give it that instead of Stand Still, which seems pretty pointless for a Large creature with Improved Grab.

Oh, and wouldn't Imp Crit work better with a tentacle?

That'd make it:

Alertness, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Improved Critical (tentacle), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (tentacle)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That looks pretty good to me.

CR. Hmmm, this looks a bit better than a CR 10 clay golem but probably comparable to the 11 headed hydra (assuming not too many heads manage to hit each round anyway). I guess a tough CR 10 would work, although CR 11 is probably better (compare to the retriever).

Cleon

Legend
Cleon's revised feats and CR 11 appeal.

I'll update the Working Draft with the Skills and Feats. I decided I did like the Improved Critical with the bite, as originally proposed.

However, I'm not sure about the Challenge Rating 11.

It has no ranged attacks, damage reduction or resistance to spells. That seriously cuts down its threat level.

An eleven-headed hydra is much better at dishing out damage - especially as it can make 11 bites as a standard attack! - and has a potent fast healing ability.

Well, I suppose it is nasty at grappling and has 53 more hit points, so would be pretty nasty if it gets within tentacle-reach of the party. It moves pretty slowly, but then so does a Hydra, and the Aurotyugh does have its mimic hoard trick.

...Hold on, it's got Horde instead of Hoard in the Working Draft, I'll need to fix that.

Oh, and I'm tempted to arbitrarily increase its Charisma to 10, since that's the controlling ability for its Disguise skill and it's currently got a -2 penalty in that skill.

Cleon

Legend
After checking the working draft, why doesn't it have standard treasure, which is what an otyugh has?

And I quote:
This creature is worth 25,000 GP—the teeth are made of diamonds and if carefully and time-consumingly taken out are worth 30,000 gold pieces (but only 5,000 gold pieces if hastily pulled).
Oh, and rereading the original text it clearly says the "softening" affects magical bonuses to AC:
Every time it hits, its opponent goes down one Armor Class (so +2 armor becomes +1, or a Wyvern with Armor Cass 3 goes to 4).
I guess we'd better change the Special Ability with "Note that this penalty affects any enhancement bonus the target's armor or natural armor might have first, then affects the target's mundane AC bonuses. If this negates all the magic armor's enhancement bonus the armor loses any special abilities it may be enchanted with, such as Arrow Catching, for the duration of the softening."

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
And I quote:
This creature is worth 25,000 GP—the teeth are made of diamonds and if carefully and time-consumingly taken out are worth 30,000 gold pieces (but only 5,000 gold pieces if hastily pulled).
Oh, and rereading the original text it clearly says the "softening" affects magical bonuses to AC:
Every time it hits, its opponent goes down one Armor Class (so +2 armor becomes +1, or a Wyvern with Armor Cass 3 goes to 4).
I guess we'd better change the Special Ability with "Note that this penalty affects any enhancement bonus the target's armor or natural armor might have first, then affects the target's mundane AC bonuses. If this negates all the magic armor's enhancement bonus the armor loses any special abilities it may be enchanted with, such as Arrow Catching, for the duration of the softening."

A regular otyugh doesn't have just goods, and neither do the neo and lifeleech otyughs. Given that and the creature's schtick, it should have more treasure than just its teeth.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads