Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Metal swords work fine for me.

I can see the argument for template. Depends on how much we like these, I guess.

I'm fine either way on the acid damage.

Cleon

Legend
For awhile there, we veered into Wolverine movie territory, then back into Wolverine comics. :p

I do like the bone sword idea, but I think the "alchemical treatment" process common in golem creation is probably enough to explain why the grafted swords could survive the acid damage.
Next you'll be wanting them swords to slide in & out of the graymen's wrists, or be made out of adamantium.:cool:
The "ooze standard" for acid is ongoing damage equal to the save DC of their acid, hence 11. ;) I suppose we could add a -3 racial penalty to the save to represent the "diluting" of the ooze's acid passing through the greyman, which would bring the damage down to 8.

Ah, but wouldn't they get a -5 penalty penalty for having Con 0? That would give require them to have a +2 racial bonus to his 8 points acid damage.:lol:

I think it's easier just giving them half whatever the ooze gets.

Oh, regarding Leopold's template idea. While it might be complicated, it would have possibilities. Maybe the variations can use different oozes - a Large-sized ochreogre or the Huge gelatinousgiant (the latter with paralyzing slime!).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ah, but wouldn't they get a -5 penalty penalty for having Con 0? That would give require them to have a +2 racial bonus to his 8 points acid damage.:lol:

Nope, because they don't have Con 0, they have Con "-", which is a +0 modifier. :)

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Threw this together. First shot at a template in a while. Be gentle. It's not done by any means. It's a template of a template modled after the lycanthrope. I know people can do better

Type: Changes to Construct and d10 HD
Ability Scores: +6 to STR, -2 to Dex, Con changes to -, -10 to Int/Cha
Size: same as base creature
Racial Skills: Recalculate due to lowered Int
Racial Feats:
Natural Armor: +6 natural if no natural armor or retains base if higher
Special Qualities:Acid(ex), Grafted Short Swords(Ex)
Favored Class: Same as base creature
LA: +2

Cleon

Legend
Threw this together. First shot at a template in a while. Be gentle. It's not done by any means. It's a template of a template modled after the lycanthrope. I know people can do better

Type: Changes to Construct and d10 HD
Ability Scores: +6 to STR, -2 to Dex, Con changes to -, -10 to Int/Cha
Size: same as base creature
Racial Skills: Recalculate due to lowered Int
Racial Feats:
Natural Armor: +6 natural if no natural armor or retains base if higher
Special Qualities:Acid(ex), Grafted Short Swords(Ex)
Favored Class: Same as base creature
LA: +2

It'd probably be best to finish the regular conversion first, then talk about a template if we want one.

It looks a decent start, although (a) it should have a CR adjustment, not a LA. (I don't see this as being much good as a player character!) and (b) I'd just give it Int 1 & Cha instead of a penalty.

Now, getting back to the grayman. Acid 11 may be OK, since 11 points is about the same as two shortsword hits (2d5+6 = average 12) it's not vastly better off grappling an opponent and bleeding on them then just going stabbity-stabbity. However, I'm still tempted to change its acid to only affect metal. I'd also like to add a note that the shortswords are immune to gray ooze & graymen acid, something like:
Grafted Short Swords (Ex): A greyman's arms have been replaced by short swords. These are treated as natural attacks that threaten a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 19–20. As natural attacks, these weapons may not be disarmed. If removed from the grayman these weapons are immune to acid damage from graymen and gray oozes, but not other forms of acid damage, and can be be fitted with swordhilts and wielded like normal weapons.​

freyar

I think the question is whether these should be regular monsters or templates to begin with. The short swords look good in either case!

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
It honestly can't hurt to give it a template when all is said and done. Heck we can hash it out offline between those of us that want to do it and then have shade post it to not distract from this thread.

The beauty of this system and style is that we are giving the players and DMs something a bit more than the creators had at the time. More options are always pleasent. Heck I'd love to give these to a legion of gnomes and make them knee hobbling death machines.

I like the short sword idea. Seems fitting.

freyar

I'm a bit divided on this myself, though my gut instinct is that these should be pretty unique and therefore monsters. However, let's see what Shade thinks also.

Remove ads