Converting Greyhawk monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about something similar to confusion?

Sure, but probably with more limited options (maybe just attack nearest creature".)

For the basics, how about half as tough as a phantasmal slayer?

Thus, 8 Hit Dice.

Phantasmal Slayer: Str -, Dex 21, Con 20, Int 22, Wis 17, Cha 26

Maybe Str -, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 18?

Cleon

Legend
Sure, but probably with more limited options (maybe just attack nearest creature".)

I'd go for three - "attack nearest creature", "attack nearest object" and "flail wildly at thin air".

For the basics, how about half as tough as a phantasmal slayer?

Thus, 8 Hit Dice.

Phantasmal Slayer: Str -, Dex 21, Con 20, Int 22, Wis 17, Cha 26

Maybe Str -, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 18?

8 HD is fine but you're shortchanging its "Int Genius". I'd prefer something like:

Str -, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 20

Cleon

Legend
I think I favor this approach, but keeping it native to the Negative Energy Plane and using simple incorporeality rather than ghostlike etherealness.

They remind me a bit of the Phantasmal Slayer from Heroes of Horror. We might use that as a bit of inspiration, making these lesser "kin".

I liked the idea of it being immune to physical attacks á la etherealness.

Suppose it's usually invisible and creates a phantasm or pattern illusion of itself. That'd explain why it's apparently immune to damage - its opponents attack the projected illusion, not the real Darksider.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like the idea that it's invisible and has a projection. Might as well let it be incorporeal as well as invisible, too. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated with natural invisibility.

For the "nightmare illusion", is it going to be some combination of mirror image, simulacrum, and maybe frightful presence or another fear spell/ability?

Remove ads