Converting Greyhawk monsters

Cleon

Legend
Updated with natural invisibility.

For the "nightmare illusion", is it going to be some combination of mirror image, simulacrum, and maybe frightful presence or another fear spell/ability?

I was thinking the "Nightmare" would be similar a combination of the project image, phantasmal killer, shadow conjuration and shadow evocation spells.

It will probably be necessary to split it into several supernatural powers - say, a "Manifest Nightmare" special attack for the shadow conjuration/evocation effect and a "Phantasmal Projection" special quality for the project image/simulacrum effect, plus some kind of "Aura of Terror" for the fear.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I was thinking the "Nightmare" would be similar a combination of the project image, phantasmal killer, shadow conjuration and shadow evocation spells.

It will probably be necessary to split it into several supernatural powers - say, a "Manifest Nightmare" special attack for the shadow conjuration/evocation effect and a "Phantasmal Projection" special quality for the project image/simulacrum effect, plus some kind of "Aura of Terror" for the fear.

That seems a reasonable approach.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That works for me, too, but I have a couple confusions. What's the shadow conjuration/evocation effect? It only ever does nonlethal damage. And which of these gets the PC to attack other PCs?

Cleon

Legend
That works for me, too, but I have a couple confusions. What's the shadow conjuration/evocation effect? It only ever does nonlethal damage. And which of these gets the PC to attack other PCs?

Well I wasn't going to go for an exact copy of shadow conjuration or evocation, but I think they'd be good sources for a general outline of the ability.

We were talking about it doing a bit of permanent harm (mental ability damage or drain?) every time a target "dies" from nonlethal damage, so it can eventually terrify its victims to death with enough illusory killings.

Shade

Monster Junkie
And which of these gets the PC to attack other PCs?

We discussed it above, but never finalized a writeup. Essentially, a confusion aura with only the most severe options ( "attack nearest creature", "attack nearest object" and "flail wildly at thin air").

We were talking about it doing a bit of permanent harm (mental ability damage or drain?) every time a target "dies" from nonlethal damage, so it can eventually terrify its victims to death with enough illusory killings.

I'm thinking Wis drain makes the most sense, with Cha drain a close second.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd go with Wis drain.

Ok, adding confusion to the above works, too.

Whew, this will be complicated. Since I'm jetlagged from my last interview, maybe someone else can tackle this....

Cleon

Legend
We discussed it above, but never finalized a writeup. Essentially, a confusion aura with only the most severe options ( "attack nearest creature", "attack nearest object" and "flail wildly at thin air").

I'm thinking Wis drain makes the most sense, with Cha drain a close second.

Wisdom drain's good, and it adds a nice "death spiral" effect by reducing the victim's Will save. :devil:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Attempting...

Aura of Palpable Terror (Su): A darksider exudes can radiate a 20-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC x Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level xth). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same darksider's aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Creatures within the aura also take xdx points of nonlethal damage each round they remain within the aura. A creature reduced to unconsciousness from nonlethal damage in this manner suffers xdx points of Wisdom drain.

Remove ads