Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Details of the armies are ok, as long as it's in the flavor and not stuck in the statblock. ;) But simple and general is also good.

Cleon

Legend
Details of the armies are ok, as long as it's in the flavor and not stuck in the statblock. ;) But simple and general is also good.

So would the previously suggested "high level fiend knights usually command large forces of humanoid soldiers, often with allied or enslaved monsters" be enough?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, another long-running one finished!

This next one will probably need some work to make it a valid threat...

"The platform stops moving at what you think is the floor level, and a monstrous, glowing shape glides towards you..."

The glowing figure is a new monster, the Darksider (see description).

"As the ghost-like shape approaches, it smiles a hideously evil grin. In your mind you hear, "I am your dark side. I know your darkest fears and doubts! And, I wish them to be, so defeat me or die!" It raises its hands and a wave of terror washes over you."

The PCs can now react, but actions other than disbelief will do them little good. Any attacks by their "vision" will seem real.

In the though projection attack that follows, each character must react individually to his fear. Remember that the PCs have not moved, athough they may seem to be removed from the rest of the group, so watch for area-effect spells or any combat.

The only way to fight the Darksider is to demonstrate an act of disbelief or become unconscious. Otherwise run combat normally.

Darksider (1): Int Genius; AL NE; AC n/a; MV instantaneous; HD n/a; hp: n/a; #AT 1; THAC0 hits automatically; Dmg as victim x 2 (apparent damage); SA ESP, thought projection (no save); SD immune to most attacks.

The Darksider
The Darksider is an energy being from the Negative Material plane, that feeds on anxiety and fear. The Darksider appears as a ghost-like form of each of its "victims." Using ESP, the Darksider determines the single greatest fear of each subject. It then uses thought projection to create the deepest, darkest fears of its subject. If "killed" by this fear, the victim does not die but merely falls unconscious. Afterwards, the victim is forever immune to that Darksider's attack.

Most deaths that are attributed to Darksider appearances have been caused by adventurers attempting to slay it, and actually slaying other party members. Deaths have also occured through attempts to flee the illusion. Otherwise, a Darksider is incapable of giving or receiving physical damage.

Originally appeared in WGR2 - Treasures of Greyhawk (1992).

Cleon

Legend
This next one will probably need some work to make it a valid threat...

The Darksider

I see what you mean.

Assuming we want to make it a monster rather than just a hazard, I'm thinking an Ethereal creature which is somehow able to attack material creatures from the Ethereal Plane, but its "fear attack" only does nonlethal or illusory damage.

It seems odd that a negative energy creature doesn't do ability damage or energy drain.

The "once you fall unconscious you're immune to the creature" is a bit counterproductive.

Maybe if we want to make this a threat monster we should rebuild it from scratch, as a "illusory ghost" that drains Cha, Con and/or energy levels (maybe with a save) every time it knocks its victims out with its nonlethal/illusion damage, eventually terrifying them to death, or just have a Fort save or die like the phantasmal killer spell.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Maybe if we want to make this a threat monster we should rebuild it from scratch, as a "illusory ghost" that drains Cha, Con and/or energy levels (maybe with a save) every time it knocks its victims out with its nonlethal/illusion damage, eventually terrifying them to death, or just have a Fort save or die like the phantasmal killer spell.

I think I favor this approach, but keeping it native to the Negative Energy Plane and using simple incorporeality rather than ghostlike etherealness.

They remind me a bit of the Phantasmal Slayer from Heroes of Horror. We might use that as a bit of inspiration, making these lesser "kin".

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm drawn to the line about how most deaths are actually due to other party members. It would be nice to give it an ability so that attacking the illusions often causes you to attack other nearby creatures. :devil:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm drawn to the line about how most deaths are actually due to other party members. It would be nice to give it an ability so that attacking the illusions often causes you to attack other nearby creatures. :devil:

That could be fun. Something like "blind" rage. :cool:

Remove ads