Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

Kalaboah

First Post
Finishing off that list ...

I was looking into running a 3.5E party of new arrivals to Maztica and am in need of some of the other monsters to be updated. 2nd ed might as well be greek to me, so maybe you guys can help me out. Unless I missed something, the following mobs still need to be done:

Maztica Campaign Setting
Plumazotl

FMA1 – Fires of Zatal
Ahuizotl (alternate version in FF, but original not done)
Dragon, Maztican - Tlalocoatl (Rain Dragon)

FMA2 – Endless Armies
Bacar

FMQ1 – City of Gold
Pasocada Ghost

The last 2 I do not need, but it might be fun to throw them in anyways.

Thanks guys

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
sounds about right. my computer is down at the moment, but when it's back up i'll see if i can get the plumazotl going. :)

Kalaboah

First Post
Plumazotl

I figured i could open my PDF of the Maztica Campaign setting and get the ball rolling.

Plumazotl

Lesser Greater
Climate/Terrain Any Any
Frequency Very Rare Very Rare
Organization Solitary Solitary

Activity Cycle Any Any
Diet Special Special
Intelligence Very (11-12) High (13-14)

Treasure Special Special
Alignment Any good Any good
No. Appearing 1 1 (1-2)

Armor Class 3 3
Movement 3, Fl 12 9, Fl 48
Hit Dice 1 to 5 6 to 10

THAC0 1 to 2 HD: 19 6 HD: 15
3 to 4 HD: 17 7 to 8 HD: 13
5 HD: 15 9 to 10 HD: 11

# of Attacks 3 3
Damage/Attack 1d4/1d4/1d4 1d6/1d6/1d6
Special Attack Spell use Spell use

Special Defense Hit only by magical weapons
Magic Resis 5% per HD 5% per HD
Size T to S M to L

Payit legends tell of a time long ago when a powerful plumaweaver, Itzamna Manik, set out to create life with his magic. After many years of labor, using spells that have long been forgotten, he created a plumazotl, a living creature of pluma. The gods destroyed Itzamna Manik for his audacity, but some of his creations managed to escape and
reproduce. Their descendants still inhabit lonely spots in Maztica. These rare creatures are composed completely of brightly colored feathers. They commonly take the forms
of birds, although some have a humanoid shape. Their sizes range from that of a hummingbird to that of a giant eagle. Plumazotl have very musical voices, and generally
speak an ancient form of Payit as well as the language of intelligent species that dwell near them.

COMBAT: Plumazotl are peaceful creatures, and they generally avoid combat if possible. If forced into combat, an individual defends itself with bites and clawing attacks. A plumazotl may use pluma magic. Lesser plumazotl cast spells as if they were plumaweavers of levels equivalent to their Hit Dice. Greater plumazotl have better spellcasting powers; those with 6 HD cast as 7th level plumaweavers, 7 HD as 8th level, 8 HD as 10th level, 9 HD as 12th level, and those with 10 HD cast as 14th level plumaweavers. Plumazotl are especially vulnerable to fire and take double damage from all fire-based attacks.

HABITAT/SOCIETY: The first of these creatures were given life hundreds of years ago. Granted intelligence and a will to survive, they became a true race and learned to
feed and reproduce. Plumazotl tend to live far from any civilization. They use their spellcasting abilities to create wonders in their homes, which eventually become safe, peaceful places filled with color and music. Though they prefer to live alone, they are unafraid of humans, and sometimes approach them to gain news of what is happening in the outside world. They offer tidbits of information in exchange for a brief conversation, but if given a bit of pluma magic, they become quite friendly and relate any desired information to the best of their ability. These visits are rare and brief, because it takes only a short time to satisfy a plumazotls curiosity about the outside. Though generally solitary, a pair of greater plumazotl sometimes comes together to mate. In a dazzling ritual, they pluck feathers from one another.s bodies, form them into small images of birds or humans, then infuse them with a bit of their magic. These small creatures are lesser plumazotl with 1 Hit Die. A pair of greater plumazotl produces one or two offspring in this way before parting ways. Most plumazotl grow very slowly, finding bright feathers to add to their own bodies. If one finds or is given a pluma talisman, however, it may incorporate the magic of the item, growing by one or more Hit Dice, depending on the power of the talisman. When lesser plumazotl reach the height of their growth, they begin searching for more and more material to incorporate into their forms. After they acquire, or one pluma talisman, they metamorphose into greater plumazotl.

ECOLOGY: Plumazotl feed on feathers and pluma magic, adding items directly into their bodies. Talismans are broken into their component parts before being absorbed. Plumazotl have no natural enemies, though sometimes men hunt them for their inherent magic. If killed, a plumazotl produces a quantity of feathers suitable for featherweaving
and pluma magic. A greater plumazotl may yield enough feathers for a blanket of featherweaving.

Kalaboah

First Post
Update

so I was wondering if the experienced crew on En World might help continue this thread and finish off some of the Maztica creatures. If I have missed any of them updated elsewhere (such as the rain dragon is currently being updated in another thread) please let me know.

Thanks guys

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sandiraksiva, The Black Courser

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: High mountain meadow/tundra
FREQUENCY: Very Rare (unique)
ORGANIZATION: Solitary or herd
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Day
DIET: Special
INTELLIGENCE: Average (8-10)
TREASURE: None
ALIGNMENT: Neutral

NO. APPEARING: 1
ARMOR CLASS: 2
MOVEMENT: 28, Fl 30
HIT DICE: 8 (45 hit points)
THAC0: 13
NO. OF ATTACKS: 2 or breath weapon
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-8+7/1-8+7/ or 5-30 (breath)
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Breath weapon
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Only hit by +1 or better weapon
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 55%
SIZE: L (8’ at shoulder)
MORALE: Fanatic (19)
XP VALUE: 5,000

While accompanying Prince Surtava on his search for enlightenment, Gaumahavi (see her entry) bore a litter of cubs. Like its mother, one of those cubs developed an animal soul and began a series of reincarnations. That cub was Sandiraksiva.

Currently, the cub’s enchanted soul inhabits the body of a supernatural black stallion. Unfortunately for Sandiraksiva, this fact has not eluded the Raja of Solon, Ambuchar Devayam. The Raja captured Sandiraksiva and used him to coerce his mother, Gaumahavi, into aiding him in the first war between Solon and Ra-Khati. During that war, Sandiraksiva was captured by the Dalai Lama, who had no idea of the stallionís true nature.

As his great size might suggest, Sandiraksiva is exceptionally strong, and he can carry or pull as much as any two normal draft horses. He is also extremely fast, and can easily outrun even the fleetest riding horse. Unlike most horses, he has split hooves and can climb the rocky environment of the Katakoro Mountains with ease.

Combat: Sandiraksiva is not aggressive by nature, but will fight tenaciously for his freedom. In combat, he uses his forehooves to lash out, and will resort to his breath weapon when pressed.

In addition to his great strength, Sandiraksiva has several special abilities. Every other round, he can fly up to 800 yards (then he must pause and rest for a round). His most potent weapon is the fireball he can breathe once per day for 5d6 points of damage (save vs. breath weapon for half damage).

Because of his enchanted nature, Sandiraksiva cannot be hurt by anything short of magic or magical weapons of +1 or better.

Habitat/Society: Although he would prefer to graze the high altitude meadows and tundra lands of the Katakoro Mountains, Sandiraksiva has been imprisoned by either the Raja of Solon or the Dalai Lama for the last 50 years.

Ecology: Like most horses, Sandiraksiva eats grass, grains, hay, and the like. However, the Black Courser’s supernatural strength, speed, and powers are energized by the light of the moon. If he is not exposed to moonlight for a substantial period each night, he begins to lose his strength. This loss corresponds roughly to the amount of moonlight he missed. For example, a 30% reduction in exposure results in a 30% loss of movement, damage, flight capability, etc. On totally moonless nights he lapses into complete inactivity, but since he knows when they will be, takes precautions beforehand, when possible. Strength is recovered in 1d6 rounds as soon as he returns to full moonlight.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We began working on this one back in May of '04 and this is as far as we got...

Sandiraksiva, The Black Courser
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 8d10+48 (92 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 70 ft (14 squares), fly 80 feet (good)
Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +6 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+19
Attack: Hoof +14 melee (1d8+7)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +14 melee (1d8+7)
Space/Reach: 10 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Breath weapon
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft, flight, low-light vision, moonlight dependency, spell resistance 22
Saves: Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +4
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 17, Con 22, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 11
Skills: Climb +19, Listen +12, Spot +12
Feats: Alertness, Iron Will, Run

Environment: Any mountains and plains?
Organization: Solitary or herd (Sandiraksiva plus X horses)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: ---
Level Adjustment: ---

Sandiraksiva is 8 feet long and weighs
Sandiraksiva is about the size of a heavy war horse.

COMBAT

Breath Weapon (Su): “His most potent weapon is the fireball he can breathe once per day for 5d6 points of damage (save vs. breath weapon for half damage).” (Ref DC 17 for half)

Flight (Su?): “Every other round, he can fly up to 800 yards (then he must pause and rest for a round).”

Moonlight Dependency (Ex?): “If he is not exposed to moonlight for a substantial period each night, he begins to lose his strength. This loss corresponds roughly to the amount of moonlight he missed. For example, a 30% reduction in exposure results in a 30% loss of movement, damage, flight capability, etc. On totally moonless nights he lapses into complete inactivity, but since he knows when they will be, takes precautions beforehand, when possible. Strength is recovered in 1d6 rounds as soon as he returns to full moonlight.”

Skills: +8 racial bonus to Climb

Originally found in module FRA1 – Storm Riders (1990, Troy Denning), module FRA2 – Black Courser (1990), and module FRA3 – Blood Charge (1990).

Remove ads