Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, I was just recapping. :cool:

I'm glad he's got spell resistance, too.

Here's a stab at a few of the abilities:

Crush (Ex): H’Calos can land on opponents three or more size categories smaller than itself as a full-round action, using its whole body to crush them. A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under H’Calos's body. Each creature in the affected area must succeed at a Reflex save (DC X) or be pinned, automatically taking X points of bludgeoning damage. Thereafter, if H’Calos chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack (grapple bonus +40). While pinned, the opponent takes crush damage each round.

[I made it a full-round action rather than standard, since crush is usually for flying creatures, and H'Calos actually has to rear up.]

Frightful Presence (Ex): Whenever H’Calos attacks or charges, each creature in a X-foot radius that has fewer HD than it does must make a DC X Will save. Failure indicates that the creature is panicked for 4d6 rounds (if it has 4 or fewer HD) or shaken for 4d6 rounds (if it has 5 or more HD).

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, H’Calos must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If H’Calos wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake with its front claws and can attempt to swallow the foe the following round.

Swallow Whole (Ex): H’Calos can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of a smaller size than itself by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes X points of crushing damage plus 2d8 points of acid damage per round from H’Calos's gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 10 + 1/2 its natural armor bonus, with no modifiers for size or Dexterity). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. H’Calos's interior can hold X Gargantuan, X Huge, X Large, X Medium, X Small, X Tiny, or X Diminutive or smaller opponents.

Last edited:

Filby

First Post
I don't think that the Extraplanar subtype is necessary, since H'Calos is from outer space, which is, according to MotP (and Spelljammer, going back a little), still part of the Material Plane.

Krishnath

First Post
Actually, we don't know if H'calos is originally from outer space or from another plane of existance since the first mention of the creature, was when it crashed into maztica, but I agree, extraplanar is pointless (since we don't know)

Anyways,

SR Equal to CR +12?

Should it hav DR? (I think yes, as it is a very though critter.)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:
Actually, we don't know if H'calos is originally from outer space or from another plane of existance since the first mention of the creature, was when it crashed into maztica, but I agree, extraplanar is pointless (since we don't know)

Fair enough.

Krishnath said:
Anyways,

SR Equal to CR +12?

Yes! :D

Krishnath said:
Should it hav DR? (I think yes, as it is a very though critter.)

I'd vote for it. Seeing as this guy is basically the "tarrasque on another continent", he should be similar, although he has less than half the HD of the Big T. Since the tarrasque has DR 15/epic, perhaps 5/epic for H'Calos?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Gathering what we've got so far...

H’Calos
Colossal Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 20d10+X (X hp)
Initiative: +X
Speed: 25 ft (5 squares), burrow 20 ft
Armor Class: 23+ (-8 size, +X Dex, +X natural), touch X, flat-footed X
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+36+Str
Attack: Bite +X melee (2d10+X)
Full Attack: Bite +X melee (2d10+X) or 4 claws +X melee (1d6+X)
Space/Reach: 30 ft/20 ft?
Special Attacks: Crush, frightful presence, improved grab, rend, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Damage reduction (5/epic?), darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and gas, low-light vision, spell resistance (CR +12?), tremorsense X ft.
Saves: Fort +12 Ref +12 Will +6
Abilities: Str X, Dex X, Con X, Int 4, Wis X, Cha X (Suggested: Str 43, Dex 7, Con 27, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 4)
Skills: 23 Hide -16 (size)
Feats: 7 (Multiattack?)

Environment: Any warm land and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
Advancement: ---
Level Adjustment: ---

Description.

H’Calos is 100 feet long and weighs X pounds.

H’Calos speaks X.

COMBAT

Crush (Ex): H’Calos can land on opponents three or more size categories smaller than itself as a full-round action, using its whole body to crush them. A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under H’Calos's body. Each creature in the affected area must succeed at a Reflex save (DC X) or be pinned, automatically taking X points of bludgeoning damage. Thereafter, if H’Calos chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack (grapple bonus +40). While pinned, the opponent takes crush damage each round.

[I made it a full-round action rather than standard, since crush is usually for flying creatures, and H'Calos actually has to rear up.]

Frightful Presence (Ex): Whenever H’Calos attacks or charges, each creature in a X-foot radius that has fewer HD than it does must make a DC X Will save. Failure indicates that the creature is panicked for 4d6 rounds (if it has 4 or fewer HD) or shaken for 4d6 rounds (if it has 5 or more HD).

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, H’Calos must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If H’Calos wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake with its front claws and can attempt to swallow the foe the following round.

Rend (Ex): If H’Calos hits with two or more claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional X points of damage.

Swallow Whole (Ex): H’Calos can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of a smaller size than itself by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes X points of crushing damage plus 2d8 points of acid damage per round from H’Calos's gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 10 + 1/2 its natural armor bonus, with no modifiers for size or Dexterity). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. H’Calos's interior can hold X Gargantuan, X Huge, X Large, X Medium, X Small, X Tiny, or X Diminutive or smaller opponents.

Originally found in module FMA2 – Endless Armies (1991, Jeff Grubb).

Remove ads