D&D 5E Converting mines of phandelver for 7 players *Spoilers*

ingeloak

Explorer
I'm about to start Dungeon mastering in 2 weeks. I'm using the starter set, but I have 7 people who want to play. I was wondering how to scale up the difficultly while keeping the feel of the campaign the same and not over whelm the map.
I was wondering if I'm been doing this right or if not, I'm open to suggestions. I'm wanting to make sure the CR is still mostly the same.
Here's what I have so far.
Spoilers
Encounter 1 Goblin Ambush: 4x Goblin 1x Goblin Boss
Encounter 2 Goblin Blind 3x Goblin
Encounter 3 Kennel 3x Wolf 1x Dire Wolf
Encounter 4 OverPass 1x Goblin Boss
Encounter 5 Goblin Den 6x Goblin 1x Goblin Boss
Encounter 6 Twin Pool Cave Klarg the Bug Bear Chief Ripper the Wolf

i ran through it with 5. they more or less steamrolled the goblin caves. you can increase the difficulty or harass the characters if you play the mobs cleverly. feel free to max out the monster hitpoints, maybe add a couple extra goblins on the bridge to pepper the characters with arrows if they arent sneaky (hint, most of the group won't be). use mini-bosses sparingly unless you are just going to make them slightly tougher goblins (remember to boost Yeemik to higher stats if so). keep in mind that if they set off an alarm, the goblins will be ready for them. goblins are sneaky, and can engage in hit-n-run tactics with their free disengage and hide ability. the addition of a couple of rolling boulder traps or hazards can mess with your group too.

the object is to challenge them without a TPK, so you might have to monitor your changes and tweak them on the fly.

Remove ads