• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
Care to write up a rough draft...

Will do. I just noticed this...

The glowing orbs may be retrieved and each will glow with the light of a full moon for the next 10,000 years.

...so I'll attempt to work it in.

Sentinel eidolons are powerful constructs from a past era. Their origins are lost to the ages, although sages speculate they were created by illithids due to the similarities in appearance between the constructs and the flayers. If this is the case, one wonders why all sentinel eidolons appear at least several centuries old.

The glowing orbs of a destroyed sentinel eidolon function as if a continual flame spell had been cast upon each of them.

Cleon

Legend
Will do. I just noticed this...

...so I'll attempt to work it in.

Sentinel eidolons are powerful constructs from a past era. Their origins are lost to the ages, although sages speculate they were created by illithids due to the similarities in appearance between the constructs and the flayers. If this is the case, one wonders why all sentinel eidolons appear at least several centuries old.

The glowing orbs of a destroyed sentinel eidolon function as if a continual flame spell had been cast upon each of them.

Should we be mentioning the Illithids, since they're product identity?

Perhaps it'd be better to refer to them as an "Elder Race of aberrations" and "creatures from the Far Realms"?

No objection to the light-orb bit, although I suggest we say this effect cannot be dispelled, or is of an extraordinarily high CL/spell level, just to differentiate it from the plain old continual flame spell.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Should we be mentioning the Illithids, since they're product identity?

I'm not worried. Hell, we've got specific illithid-related creatures (like the illithidae, in the CC. :uhoh:

Perhaps it'd be better to refer to them as an "Elder Race of aberrations" and "creatures from the Far Realms"?

We could mention that as well. BTW, the Far Realms isn't open-source either. ;)

No objection to the light-orb bit, although I suggest we say this effect cannot be dispelled, or is of an extraordinarily high CL/spell level, just to differentiate it from the plain old continual flame spell.

That's fine. I'm always surprised to find that continual flame is permanent, consider it's a low-level spell.

Cleon

Legend
I'm not worried. Hell, we've got specific illithid-related creatures (like the illithidae, in the CC. :uhoh:

We could mention that as well. BTW, the Far Realms isn't open-source either. ;)

Pshaw! I only quibble about such details when it helps my case. :p

That's fine. I'm always surprised to find that continual flame is permanent, consider it's a low-level spell.

It's a glorious legacy of Ye Olde Days. (e.g. I presume they couldn't be bothered to change it from previous editions).

Shade

Monster Junkie
So...

Sentinel eidolons are powerful constructs from a past era. Their origins are lost to the ages, although sages speculate they were created by an elder race of aberrations--possibly illithids due to the similarities in appearance between the constructs and the flayers. If this is the case, one wonders why all sentinel eidolons appear at least several centuries old.

The glowing orbs of a destroyed sentinel eidolon function as if a continual flame spell had been cast upon each of them. The effect cannot be dispelled.

Cleon

Legend
So...

Sentinel eidolons are powerful constructs from a past era. Their origins are lost to the ages, although sages speculate they were created by an elder race of aberrations--possibly illithids due to the similarities in appearance between the constructs and the flayers. If this is the case, one wonders why all sentinel eidolons appear at least several centuries old.

The "past era" and "lost to the ages" seems an unnecessary duplication. I'm thinking we could blend them together.

Shouldn't "appear at least several centuries old" be "appear to be at least several centuries old"?

Sentinel eidolons are powerful constructs whose origins are lost to the ages. Sages speculate they were created by an elder race of aberrations---possibly illithids, due to the similarities in appearance between these constructs and the flayers. If this is the case, one wonders why all sentinel eidolons appear to be at least several centuries old.

The glowing orbs of a destroyed sentinel eidolon function as if a continual flame spell had been cast upon each of them. The effect cannot be dispelled.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The "past era" and "lost to the ages" seems an unnecessary duplication. I'm thinking we could blend them together.

Shouldn't "appear at least several centuries old" be "appear to be at least several centuries old"?

Sentinel eidolons are powerful constructs whose origins are lost to the ages. Sages speculate they were created by an elder race of aberrations---possibly illithids, due to the similarities in appearance between these constructs and the flayers. If this is the case, one wonders why all sentinel eidolons appear to be at least several centuries old.

Looks good. Add it to your working draft?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads