Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Shade said, "Although the original didn't account for it, I think it would be fun to make it a psychokinetic burst weapon." So make it a +5 psychokinetic burst greatsword.

Oh right, you're referring to the weapon property.

I'm not that fond of the burst bit, I'd rather do something like psychokinetic keen or psychokinetic shock equal to the same +2 modifier.

Alternatively, we could reduce the +5 a bit and add something tougher to the psychokinesis, such as a +4 psychokinetic collision or +3 psychokinetic soulbreaker for the same total plus value.

Also from Shade: "Also a minor quibble, but I'd make it "Healed by Acid and Electricity" rather than Lightning." Shall we make that change?

Funny, I thought I'd already changed that. Although I think "acid & lightning" (or possibly "bile & lightning") has a better ring to it.

Updating the Working Draft.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed on all that.

You'd best make Whirlwind Attack a bonus feat, since it's mindless. ;) In which case, there's no need to boost the Dex, either.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed on all that.

You'd best make Whirlwind Attack a bonus feat, since it's mindless. ;) In which case, there's no need to boost the Dex, either.

But I did make it a bonus feat...

That's funny, the (B) may have got lost in the shuffle.

Updating the Working Draft.

So, it's just the Challenge Rating and Spell Resistance to decide and we can finish them off with flavour.

Shade

Monster Junkie
CR 14? The psychic assault is slightly inferior to the iron golem's breath weapon, but the psiforged blade packs enough bonus damage potential to warrant a slightly higher CR.

Cleon

Legend
CR 14? The psychic assault is slightly inferior to the iron golem's breath weapon, but the psiforged blade packs enough bonus damage potential to warrant a slightly higher CR.

Stunning for an average of 10 rounds doesn't seem that inferior to me...

Anyhow, I'd roughed in Challenge Rating 14, so I'm OK with it if you are.

That would make them SR 23, going by the CR+9 you wanted.

Hmm, a nice round SR 24 or 25 would be more aesthetically satisfying for me, any preferences or objections?

Remove ads