• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i think i will make these guys aberrations.

with that ability, how well will they be able to jump now?

and for the entangle attack, we can borrow a bit from the ba'atun writeup:
Web Stones: Ba’atun flight leaders carry special sling stones that create webs, as the spell, upon hitting a creature or surface. These webs stick to whatever they hit, and everything within a 5-foot-diameter area for 3 minutes (Reflex save DC 15 to avoid), and require no anchor points to stick to. The save DC is Dexterity-based.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
shade - why would we only give them a charisma of 1, if their int is 12 and their wis is 14?

and would a Str score of 1 impair their ability to entangle, and do constriction damage?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
with that ability, how well will they be able to jump now?

The DC of the Jump check would equal the distance jumped, rather than double the distance jumped. In other words, it can jump twice as far with this ability.

BOZ said:
shade - why would we only give them a charisma of 1, if their int is 12 and their wis is 14?

Because at the time I thought they were a mindless ooze, and I copied it from the living web. ;)

BOZ said:
and would a Str score of 1 impair their ability to entangle, and do constriction damage?

It shouldn't effect entangle, if it is like the web spell, since the DC is static. It would do less constriction damage, though, due to a Strength penalty.

Shade

Monster Junkie
...it'll need a higher Strength. ;)

But, since constrict is based on a grapple check, and Diminutive creatures get a -12 grapple modifier....

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
besides the jump check, it will need some sort of bonus to grappling and constricting as well. hmm... now i'm almost thinking maybe we should have made it bigger, with the ability to collapse into a small form...

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, from here out, the memory web will be a Huge creature. :)
this line kind of did it for me while i was reading it:
"It can hide by compressing itself into a tight ball"

so, instead of some of the abilities we've been giving it, we'll now give it a Hide bonus of +12 instead of a penalty of -8, for example.

this will also mean a lower Dex (but not a low Dex) and a higher Str (but not necessarily a very high Str - maybe "minimum" for its size)

methinks we should also keep "powerful leap", perhaps with modifications, but i like the fact that it can take nice standing jumps.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Thoughts about the memory web…

Here are the changes I’m thinking about for ability scores: Str 24, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 15

Space/Reach: 15 ft/10 ft?

Damage reduction – (5 or 10)/(magic and/or slashing) ?

Fire resistance 5 or 10?

Adding Amorphous SQ.

Removing “Dex modifier for Jump checks.” Racial bonus to Jump should remain, but can be reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads