• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Let’s see here…

For the most part, I like the “works like the web spell” aspect, since there’s very little about it that’s really different.

What I think I forgot to mention is that the constrict attack would be coming from a touch attack. Adding Improved Grab is a-OK by me. I think it should only be able to grapple/constrict one opponent at a time, but it may entangle as many opponents as can fit in its space.

Entangle (Ex): A memory web expanded to its full size is able to entrap foes as a standard action. This attack functions as a web spell, except that the memory web requires no anchor points to stick to. Creatures in the area can make a Reflex save (DC X) to avoid the web. Those that fail the save will remain entangled until the memory web is destroyed, or until they are able to escape. Creatures that are entangled within the memory web may be subjected to its touch attack the following round. The save DC is (Dexterity?)-based.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Such as:

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a memory web must hit with its touch attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

I’m thinking the memweb can also make a touch attack against creatures that it is not grappling, if they are within its reach, but it would probably not do this as entangling them first is much easier. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
oh by the way, i'm heading home now to start the "convert-a-thon" ;) you'll hear much more from me in an hour or 2...

Shade

Monster Junkie
So are you wanting to stick with the ability for creatures to move through the memory web with a successful skill check, since that is what the web spell allows?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
yes (unless constricted of course) - do you think we need to restate that, or simply going with "as the spell" covers that?

as i have it:

Entangle (Ex): A memory web expanded to its full size is able to entrap foes as a standard action. This attack functions as a web spell, except that the memory web requires no anchor points to stick to. Creatures in the area can make a Reflex save (DC X) to avoid the web. Those that fail the save will remain entangled until the memory web is destroyed, or until they are able to escape. Creatures that are entangled within the memory web may be subjected to its touch attack the following round. The save DC is (Dexterity?)-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a memory web must hit with its touch attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
I’m thinking the memweb can also make a touch attack against creatures that it is not grappling, if they are within its reach, but it would probably not do this as entangling them first is much easier. ;)

I'd just stick with the entangle attack for simplicity's sake.

"As the spell" probably does cover the movement issues.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
you're probably right, and touch attacks would be so much easier against an entangled opponent, as they would hardly ever fail! :D

so the attack routine i have above is gut, ja?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads