Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhaga

First Post
How's this for Crush?

Crush (Ex): a bozorg can roll over a prone or helpless creature, dealing crushing damage with its considerable weight. The damage dealt varies according to the bozorg’s size:
Small (4 ft): 1d4 damage (+Str mod)
Medium (8 ft): 1d8 damage (+Str mod)
Large (12 ft): 2d6 damage (+Str mod)

A bozorg can use its Crush attack on targets smaller than itself, and up to 2 size categories larger than itself. The bozorg can use its other attacks in the same round that it uses Crush.

Alternatively, we could add a bozorg’s crush damage to it’s size-specific “stat block”.
Example:
Small (4 ft) bozorg:
Vapor Jet: 10 ft cone - damage 2d4 fire
Crush: 1d4 damage (+Str mod)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Physical ability scores of animated objects:

Small Animated Object: Str 10, Dex 12, Con -
Medium Animated Object: Str 10, Dex 12, Con -
Large Animated Object: Str 16, Dex 10, Con -

Perhaps we could use these for inspiration? Maybe change the Med to Str 12 to differentiate a bit more?

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
should we make any changes to this?

Stun Dart (Ex): When one of these hollow darts hits a target, it releases a small puff of poison gas. The victim must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or be stunned for one round. After one round, the target must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or be stunned for an additional 1d4 rounds.

in Races of Faerun, they are given a 20 ft range increment.

the damage is 1d4, i assumed for Medium, so therefore the Small gets 1d2 and the Large gets 1d6.

should we state a maximum number of uses for the darts before they have to be reloaded by someone?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Consolidating a bit...

Stun Dart (Ex): A bozorg may fire a number of darts each round as a full attack (?) action, based on its size. These darts have a range increment of 20 feet, and release a small puff of poison gas (DC 12 Fort, initial damage stunned for 1 round, secondary damage stunned for 1d4 rounds). A bozorg carries X darts before it must be reloaded. (A bozorg can fire other varieties of darts appropriate for its size?).

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
Actually, my bad. since the dart is a weapon featured in the PHB (no, really!) we don't need to include all of that info. I'll let the attack line speak to how many can be fired as a full-attack. I want to put how the gas affects targets back the way it was in RoF.

Stun Dart (Ex): A bozorg may fire a number of hollow darts that release a small puff of poison gas upon hitting a target. The victim must succeed on a DC X Fortitude save or be stunned for one round. After one round, the target must succeed on a DC X Fortitude save or be stunned for an additional 1d4 rounds. A bozorg carries X darts before it must be reloaded. A bozorg can fire other varieties of darts appropriate for its size.

Do we keep the DC at 12? Maybe so, because these are manufactured weapons? Of course, the 12-HD variety will be fighting foes who will almost never fail their saves...

I don't see why firing other types of darts would be a problem, so we can leave that last line in there.

As for how many darts it can carry, that should be a function of size. Maybe enough for them to fire at, say, 5 or 10 rounds using a full attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads